S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Brake pad suggestions

Old 02-04-2010, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Hawk HP Plus a few years ago alng with stainless lines and Motul fluid. Still using stock rotors. I can say it improved braking but I've had issues with the rears overheating and have experianced brake fade a few times.

This seams to be something no other S2K owner has had. I'm wondering if I have bad brake porportioning valve so the bias is off.

I will say unlike so many others, I drive mine hard and am not concerned about niose or dust.

Do yourself a favor and what ever pad you go with install stainless lines.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Funny, I've had really good experience with the Hawk HP+ pads. Never a problem at the track, they provide full braking even when stone cold on the street, and in my experience have a much higher coefficient than Carbotech XP8s. To the extent that modulating them is quite different, you barely have to touch the pedal to get strong braking. My ABS is disabled (bad sensor), and I really have to pay attention to keep from locking them up at the track, even with my puny weakling legs.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 PM
ONO

Read this article and decide what kind of driving suits your needs before purchasing the brake pads
Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running satisfied gransport 6 pads. very minor brake fade when theyre cool but once they get warmed up they're great. as for dust, they dust virtually no more then the stockers did.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 PM

I have used Axxis ULT Ceramic Brake Pads since I got my s2k.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I wish I had stuck with OEM. Hawk pads are over rated.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Feb 9 2010, 11:02 AM
I wish I had stuck with OEM. Hawk pads are over rated.
*Which* Hawk pads are overrated? HPS were the worst pads I've ever experienced, way worse than stock. But HP+ pads I've found to be *very* responsive, with the greatest pedal responsiveness I've ever had on the S, and they've never given up on me at the track.

But like I said above, OEM >>> HPS.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Feb 9 2010, 12:53 PM
*Which* Hawk pads are overrated? HPS were the worst pads I've ever experienced, way worse than stock. But HP+ pads I've found to be *very* responsive, with the greatest pedal responsiveness I've ever had on the S, and they've never given up on me at the track.

But like I said above, OEM >>> HPS.
standard hawk and hps. Not done the HP+. The entire line is suppose to be above OEM performance and MAYBE HP+ is for some domestic, bad compounds. For any of the Honda's we've had it's been a down grade and an expensive one at that.

On our TL the standard hawk pads no longer allowed ABS to kick in on dry ground. The OEM pads had a tone of bite. These HPS's on the S have less bite than OEM but otherwise are no cause for concern. Neither were worth the upgrade.

For a company like hawk to only have 1 decent pad in a setup of 3 street pads is horrible. They shouldn't be rewarded with business. Their product line is dismal.

Ask me how I really feel...
Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Feb 9 2010, 12:12 PM
standard hawk and hps. Not done the HP+. The entire line is suppose to be above OEM performance and MAYBE HP+ is for some domestic, bad compounds. For any of the Honda's we've had it's been a down grade and an expensive one at that.
Not maybe, HP+ are FAR better than OEM S2000 pads, as far as performance goes (obviously they're dustier and noisier).
Totally agree that HPS are total garbage, much worse than OEM.

On our TL the standard hawk pads no longer allowed ABS to kick in on dry ground. The OEM pads had a tone of bite. These HPS's on the S have less bite than OEM but otherwise are no cause for concern. Neither were worth the upgrade.
HPS pads I used were a tremendous cause for concern after a lap or less at the track. Utter crap pads.

For a company like hawk to only have 1 decent pad in a setup of 3 street pads is horrible. They shouldn't be rewarded with business. Their product line is dismal.
Ask me how I really feel...
I almost agree with you. After my HPS experience, I almost vowed never to do business with them again. But as bad as the HPS's are, HP+ have done a fantastic job for me on the street and at the track. The coefficient is much higher than stock or even Carbotech XP8's. And even in 20degree new england weather, they give full bite in the cold.

Long/short, I've found them to be the best compromise street/track pad for me.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Feb 9 2010, 12:39 PM
But as bad as the HPS's are, HP+ have done a fantastic job for me on the street and at the track. The coefficient is much higher than stock or even Carbotech XP8's. And even in 20degree new england weather, they give full bite in the cold.

Long/short, I've found them to be the best compromise street/track pad for me.
would you consider the hawk hp+ to be an in-betweener for carbotech xp8 & xp10 as far as track use is concerned?

Quick Reply: Brake pad suggestions