S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Camber suggestions on 17x9.5 +41

Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

The J's and buddy clubs are lower ball joints. They're good for roll center adjustment. But they will require quite a bit of camber if your purpose is to clear a fender....because you're pushing the bottom of the tire out in hopes that the top will slightly tilt inward.

Adjustable upper ball joints like the SPC have the advantage that you don't need a bunch of camber to effectively clear fenders. You only need a little bit...because you're tilting the top of the tire inward.

I set my SPC's just SLIGHTLY negative to keep the widest track/look. Then I locked them down and forgot about them.

I have the alignment guy use the stock LCA adjuster to adjust camber. I used the SPC's just to set the spindle toward a slightly negative camber angle to extend the range of the stock adjuster.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
The J's and buddy clubs are lower ball joints. They're good for roll center adjustment. But they will require quite a bit of camber if your purpose is to clear a fender....because you're pushing the bottom of the tire out in hopes that the top will slightly tilt inward.

Adjustable upper ball joints like the SPC have the advantage that you don't need a bunch of camber to effectively clear fenders. You only need a little bit...because you're tilting the top of the tire inward.

I set my SPC's just SLIGHTLY negative to keep the widest track/look. Then I locked them down and forgot about them.

I have the alignment guy use the stock LCA adjuster to adjust camber. I used the SPC's just to set the spindle toward a slightly negative camber angle to extend the range of the stock adjuster.
got it! I'll look into getting me some spc ball joints then & going to a reputable alignment shop. Probably have to head towards socal area since Bakersfield doesn't have any:/ thanks for all the help!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

They're like...3mm more agressive than my wheels. 17X10 +50. Easy peasy fit.
"Easy peasy" is misleading, but hey no skin off your back when the OP ****s up his fenders I guess right?

10 +50 is not only less aggressive outer fitment, but a 255 on a wider rim has a stretch on most 255's for further fender room as shown by your pic, over what a 9.5" will have. When you factor in this along with 3mm less room and the fact that the wheels have to turn, its not a wheel I would tell someone no problem, and to just run a bunch of camber. And mind you the -4 degrees he is going to need to run along with his pull up front if he wants to try and avoid extreme rubbing, isn't exactly an ideal alignment for any situation, especially street. Flipping tires every 2k and getting 4k total out of a set just because a wheel choice with poor fitment was chosen doesn't seem ideal to me. But hey no skin off your back. I understand first hand where the compromises are depending on where that line of "fitment" choice is. Ive split every hair possible on achieving fitment for the most rim and tire possible on this car. If your someone that haven't gone down this road then being informed through others is the key in making a conscious choice. "easy peasy" isn't the kind of informed objectivity id want from other members on this forum to help me fit a package that sticks out 45mm more then stock. Bottom line, grab your tape measure!

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-23-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

This is actually helpful towards better fitment.

OP these are going to be imperative to a workable fitment with this wheel. Your going to want to pull the top of the tire in as much as possible and then use the stock lower camber adjustment to the position that provides the least amount of camber, essentially pulling the entire wheel inboard reducing the total offset is the idea.

...or you could down size to a 245 up front, or just go with a better fitting front wheel and keep your stock adjusters. Stock adjusters will get you in the -2.5 camber range up front with a typical 1.5-2" suspension drop which is a pretty ideal performing dual duty street/track set up like you mentioned wanting to have.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-23-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
This is actually helpful towards better fitment.

OP these are going to be imperative to a workable fitment with this wheel. Your going to want to pull the top of the tire in as much as possible and then use the stock lower camber adjustment to the position that provides the least amount of camber, essentially pulling the entire wheel inboard reducing the total offset is the idea.

...or you could down size to a 245 up front, or just go with a better fitting front wheel and keep your stock adjusters. Stock adjusters will get you in the -2.5 camber range up front with a typical 1.5-2" suspension drop which is a pretty ideal performing dual duty street/track set up like you mentioned wanting to have.

thanks dude I'll keep all that in mind during the trial and error period of fitting these things. Like I said though it's only temporary for now until I put my +30 fenders on & I could run a more convenient camber set up up front
Old 08-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

If you're buying wide fenders, then buy lower ball joint adjusters.

The stock adjusters can get close to -2.5 deg...but since they're bottom adjusters, you'll have a lot of trouble clearing less agressive wheels. Again...I'm using upper ball joints to clear the fender. And stock adjusters to tune camber. feelin?

To make it MASSIVELY easy peasy:
-I have a shitload of room between my 17x10 +50 and my stock, un flared fenders. A small family could live in the space between my tire and fender.

-My SPC joint has been set JUST negative enough to clear comfortbly.

-I have run 2.X deg of camber. I eyeball spec'd everything when I installed it and drove around for a while on what would turn out to be 2.x degrees of camber.

Again...shitload of room because I used an UPPER ball joint to tilt the top of the tire in. Mine don't just *barely* fit. They fit comfortbly AF.

So it will more than accomodate 9.5 + 41's ...which are about 3mm more agressive.

OP's car is also much higher than mine.

So...using those parts to the equation, and boiling it down to:

his wheels + the aforementioned setup = easy peasy
The following users liked this post:
Ian300D (08-05-2021)