S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Carbotech bobcat pads versus oem?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carbotech bobcat pads versus oem?

Does anyone run the carbotech bobcat pads?

I'm wondering how they compare with oem pads on the street, especially since they cost twice as much. I'm thinking about running these pads because the compound is compatible with their xp10/xp8 track pads.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have them on my S but do have them on my Camry with stoptechs. I don't think they're worth the money.
Just swap rotors or run ax6 or xp8's
Old 01-31-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Jan 25 2010, 02:31 PM
I'm thinking about running these pads because the compound is compatible with their xp10/xp8 track pads.
This is why I run them. I'm happy with their performance, and don't mind the extra costs since they're "compatible" with their track compounds. I did the whole OEM pads + rotors -> swap to track pads and rotors -> swap back to OEM before/after track days, and that whole process got old REALLY quick. Swapping pads only is a lot faster.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88,Jan 30 2010, 05:04 AM
I don't have them on my S but do have them on my Camry with stoptechs. I don't think they're worth the money.
Just swap rotors or run ax6 or xp8's
i wanna add something to this. my buddy on his wrx runs carbotech bobcats, and i run on my s2k carbotech AX6 pads. i bed both our cars. i can tell u the AX6 bites harder then the bobcats do. BUT AT A COST!!!!! bobcats hardly make any noise during normal driving. AX6, omg so F'n loud when they heat up. i sound like a semi slowing down when stopping at lights. they squeal so loud!

SO, if your looking for something for DD that is compatible with the track pads they sell, just get bobcat. when i wear these out i am going bobcat.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better off with oem on the S. you will need to step up to the xp series for a noticable difference. i love my xp10's on the street....big difference over oem...
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

xp10s on the street? Yikes.

They suck until they get hot, IMO. And you can't get them hot enough on the street.

Anyway, I think I still have a set of partially used Bobcats from back when I used to drive the car on the street.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Danny at Carbotech said that using my oem pads on the street and xp10/xp8 for track on the same rotors is fine. I was surprised...and happy since oem is good enough for me a cheap.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Feb 16 2010, 04:54 PM
Danny at Carbotech said that using my oem pads on the street and xp10/xp8 for track on the same rotors is fine.
I agree. Just keep in mind that when you first switch, you may get some unusual effects. Inconsistent braking, some amount of judder, etc. But it usually goes away by about 10 minutes into the first track session.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I am getting ready to do my first track event in the S. I have done numerous events in my old Subaru, and a couple events in a spec miata. I currently have stock suspension and brakes on the S. I will be getting some Star Specs before the event. Do you guys reccomend just upgrading my fluid and bleeding the brakes, or should I really consider doing pads and fluid? I have been able to smoke my oem brakes under some hard canyon runs, so I imagine once on the track where I can really push the car, I will def be cooking my oem stuff. Note the track is not a very fast course, and only has one moderatly hard braking zone. There should be ample time to cool the brakes off between zones.

Based on a couple of posts, sounds like using my OEM equip. and just swapping brake pads will be ok for the track day. I would/will run the XP10/8 combo.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM

at a minimum, you must change to a good fluid like ate or motul rbf 600.

Quick Reply: Carbotech bobcat pads versus oem?