S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Caster Adjuster Repair Question

Old 06-09-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caster Adjuster Repair Question

Continued from this forum post:
Who Can Fix Power Steering?

Guys...I am still suffering from a heavy steering wheel this but I think I finally figured it out. More caster = heavier steering, right? So my caster is stuck at maximum in the front as I mentioned before. I went back to get some specifics on it, but me not knowing about cars very well I wasn't able to explain what the alignment shop explained to me to the parts guy at my local Honda. Maybe you guys can shed light on part numbers from the drawings and info the alignment shop jotted down for me? It's either this or I replace the arm? I'd rather fix this piece and have the alignment guy install it and align it, I feel like that would be cheaper than buying a whole new arm and then getting it aligned (or a used one which can be bent)

As for my torque sensor, I am going to have another friend reset it as it's harder to turn left than right. Let me know what you guys think
Old 06-09-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Shows all whats needed here ,good luck
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...shings-935502/
Old 06-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Default Cam bolts?

I see the Mugen bushings I need to order. He says I also need cam bolts. I assume this is for left and right assuming I'd do both arms at once?

51393-S2A-020

Is this the part I need? If I am just doing one side would I just need one of these?

Seems like this Mugen bushing set is stiffer than stock...does that mean I should do both sides in the front?
Old 06-09-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Buy both bushings at a time. I believe the Mugens are sold as a pair anyway. I doubt you can buy a single one.

Have you looked at the spherical compliance bearings by Hardrace instead of using rubber? I'm loving mine so far.

excessive caster makes the steering heavier at higher speed. not while trying to turn the wheel at a virtual standstill.

Is your steering less willing to return to center in addition to being heavy?

Are you chasing ghosts? From your other thread, it seems like the steering didn't bother you until your friend said it was heavier than he experienced in his car.

The differences could stem from yall two having two different S2000's. Probably different tires at different rates of wear, etc.

Are you still using the stock steering wheel?
Old 06-09-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Buy both bushings at a time. I believe the Mugens are sold as a pair anyway. I doubt you can buy a single one.

Have you looked at the spherical compliance bearings by Hardrace instead of using rubber? I'm loving mine so far.

excessive caster makes the steering heavier at higher speed. not while trying to turn the wheel at a virtual standstill.

Is your steering less willing to return to center in addition to being heavy?

Are you chasing ghosts? From your other thread, it seems like the steering didn't bother you until your friend said it was heavier than he experienced in his car.

The differences could stem from yall two having two different S2000's. Probably different tires at different rates of wear, etc.

Are you still using the stock steering wheel?
This is the first time I've tried tackling this problem on the caster theory. It's definitely the cheapest fix compared to replacing a rack or eps system and I know the caster is stuck for sure. So I've only known about the Mugen part.

Unfortunately...you poked a hole in the theory. It's mainly heavy at low speeds, requires force to turn the wheel. Feels like hardly any power steering at slow speeds. Steering returns to center easily and alignment is perfect. Stock wheel too

It isn't a ghost, its a real issue. One of many in my life I just try and ignore, but that's not good enough anymore. I need to address this.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:47 PM

Getting caster the same is a option also 5 or 6 is all ok = what is the caster atm on both sides ?
Old 06-09-2018, 03:49 PM

mine is unequal until I get it set and no probs btw
Old 06-09-2018, 03:56 PM

Maybe disconnect or remove rack and see if free movements are obtainable lock to lock manualy<do not have engine running >it has a mind of its own !!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM

BTW when I say slow speeds, I am talking about when I am parking the car, for instance like parallel parking. That's when it's super heavy. In any other condition it is more bearable.

The caster readings, I don't have a print out as it wasn't done by a machine. But both sides were made equal by West End. It is actually set at the maximum setting possible on both sides (to be even)

When the car is raised, the steering is soft. I have tried two different types of tires. Same thing.

As far as disconnecting the rack...well I am very weary about that. Won't that change alignment? Will have to try it though if this can't be sorted out.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

pull the EPS fuse. That will give you a baseline for how much hard the wheel is to turn with no PS.

Then compare it to the assist you're receiving.

Quick Reply: Caster Adjuster Repair Question