S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

coilerovers for approx $1,200

Old 08-26-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilerovers for approx $1,200

Prepping the ride for track days and want a setup with decent adjust-ability and dampers......with camber adjustment would be nice. Not going for ultra low and hoping to find something that isn't too bouncy. I'm thinking Ground Control or Fortune, but looking for feedback.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you could swing $1300, the HKS hypermax IV are on sale through Kamispeed.

No coilover system for the s2000 has camber adjustment.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The correct damping is the correct damping. That you can adjust a shock for the street, then adjust it for the track, is a myth.

You would be much better off getting quality shocks, choosing appropriate springs, and having a pro set the damping on a shock dyno. Then leave them set.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 08-27-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The correct damping is the correct damping. That you can adjust a shock for the street, then adjust it for the track, is a myth.

You would be much better off getting quality shocks, choosing appropriate springs, and having a pro set the damping on a shock dyno. Then leave them set.

I disagree. There's quite a bit you can do by changing the shock settings. They are effective at setting the car up at initial turn in, even on smooth tracks....which will set the pace for the car's "attitude" midcorner when the shock settings are a bit more moot (assuming steady cornering).

Pro teams set up shocks for each track. If shock settings were useless...then why change the damper manually?

If shock adjustments were useless...other questions would be...why do cars have effective "sport" modes and "comfort modes"? why do magneto rhetorical dampers work so well?

My Öhlins can certainly and easily adjust how the car drives at the track. And after driving back from the track last week lazily without softening the dampers, I can tell you that my "street" settings are MUCH softer and more comfortable.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The correct damper is correct for a given surface. The damping on a track won't necessarily be the best on the street.

Gc with Koni. Best setup if you want adjustability at that price.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1472331906' post='24049223

I disagree. There's quite a bit you can do by changing the shock settings. They are effective at setting the car up at initial turn in, even on smooth tracks....which will set the pace for the car's "attitude" midcorner when the shock settings are a bit more moot (assuming steady cornering).

Pro teams set up shocks for each track. If shock settings were useless...then why change the damper manually?

If shock adjustments were useless...other questions would be...why do cars have effective "sport" modes and "comfort modes"? why do magneto rhetorical dampers work so well?

My Öhlins can certainly and easily adjust how the car drives at the track. And after driving back from the track last week lazily without softening the dampers, I can tell you that my "street" settings are MUCH softer and more comfortable.

Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver.
-Colin Chapman.

To OP, why not just get a set of OEM CR shocks/springs, they're around that price, and they're extremely capable. Plus you'll have the benefit of being able to go over speedbumps and stuff without cringing on the come down. If you must lower, some swift springs would work nicely with that setup since they're designed for the CR shocks.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I agree that for most people, just driving the effing car they showed up with is better. My advice to the OP would just be to drive the car unless he feels he can benefit from something else. The stock suspension is very good as is...and one can build a very fast setup around the stock suspension.

I wouldn't bother with CR springs/shocks. If you're ready to get something better than base model...get something good enough to grow with.

OP wasn't specific or pointed enough for this to be a serious question. I think this thread was created for the sake of discussion.

Nobody can definitively make a good recommendation based on what he's asked. So I won't try.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:16 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Keep saving. At your price point most coilovers are going to hurt your handling rather than help it. Use the 1200 for more seat time, brakes, and good tires.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Keep saving. At your price point most coilovers are going to hurt your handling rather than help it. Use the 1200 for more seat time, brakes, and good tires.
Though $1200 would be more than enough for a nice set of Bilstein pss (not the pss9). They aren't adjustable, but would be much better than stock, and much better than the typical multiadjustable but awful aftermarket $1,200 suspension that would be much worse than stock.

Its all too easy to sell junk suspension so long as there is a lot of adjustability. Too many judge suspension on how adjustable it is, rather than how good it is.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

At $1200, then only improvement IMO you can do to an s2000 suspension are a set of Swifts and Konis, or just pop for the gc/koni setup. Even then, one could argue either way if it's worth the money. At $2300, the Ohlins are a killer deal and IMO worth every penny.

Quick Reply: coilerovers for approx $1,200