S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover for Daily Driver

Old 01-26-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

I read your topic title...and without reading the post, the PSS and PSS9 came to my mind.

As long as you're not lowering it much more than 1", you're good to go.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by darkvette07
Did you buy your Blistein PSS brand new or used? It seems that they have gone up a few hundred dollars since a few years ago. I can't find them for much less than $1,110.00 brand new.

So it still seems that the Blistein PSS is the way to go for street cars. I don't want to drop it much more than an inch and don't care much for the adjustable feature as I probably won't be adjusting it. I just wanted to make sure they where still the best street coilovers as it seems some of the other coilovers have gone through multiple revisions but it seems they are still not as good as Blistein Pss for the street.
I bought mine from Tirerack a couple years ago, I don't recall the price but it was in that range, not sure if other vendors on this site have deals or group buys, but I was happy with pricing and shipping from Tirerack.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
What is the installation like?
Installation is very simple for the most part. It takes a bit of adjusting once on the car, as the ride height settles a bit every few weeks and then it finally stabilizes. So it just needs some height adjusting for a bit of time after installation, but that isn't very hard , just takes a bit of time.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Same as installing a replacement set of stock shocks. Re-use stock tophats. Install like normal.

The only difference from stock in terms of install is the ride height adjustment and re-clocking ALL the affected bushings (if you're changing height).
Just going to bring this part up again in case it gets glanced over. Dont forget to do this.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would it be worth saving up a bit more and getting a set of ohlins or are the Blistein pss superior for street use?
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Ohlins will be superior in every way, except one. Longevity. The Ohlins will require rebuild much sooner than the Bilsteins.

You just have to decide which is more important to you.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Ohlins will be superior in every way, except one. Longevity. The Ohlins will require rebuild much sooner than the Bilsteins.

You just have to decide which is more important to you.
Would be a deal breaker for me personally. Same reason why i dont run KW v3's - though at least these are serviced for free i believe. Still a pain in the ass to remove all the time if you put miles on your car like i do. Any coilover is a big investment. Spending another 1/3-1/2 the cost of the coilover to get serviced frequently will be insult to injury. Especially when a sizable number of dudes running them on the street couldn't really tell you if they were running on these or factory dampers with lowering springs and what they were really getting for their money, other then saying they were on a prestigious brand.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 01-28-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Would be a deal breaker for me personally. Same reason why i dont run KW v3's - though at least these are serviced for free i believe. Still a pain in the ass to remove all the time if you put miles on your car like i do. Any coilover is a big investment. Spending another 1/3-1/2 the cost of the coilover to get serviced frequently will be insult to injury. Especially when a sizable number of dudes running them on the street couldn't really tell you if they were running on these or factory dampers with lowering springs and what they were really getting for their money, other then saying they were on a prestigious brand.
Well said
Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

I got 40+K miles out of my KW V3 with fairly heavy track use, and street use. And they had 12k/10K on them for like 15K of that. Today, 2-3yrs later... someone else is still happily using them.

You should be able to get like 60K miles out of a set of Ohlins on the street before having to do any maintenance. Maybe more.

There's a huge difference in suspension feel between Ohlins and Bilsteins (or Ohlins and anything else I've driven on). If you "can't tell", I'd be very surprised. They're monotube dampers with like 2X the spring rate as stock. And they ride better than stock. They don't cost a fortune. You're demanding a lot if you want them to also last 200K miles and still feel fresh.

That being said, there's nothing at all wrong with the Bilsteins. With street-only use, they should last maybe as long as the OEM's before they start to feel dull. My guess is 80+K.

For all the above...they may not leak over that period of time...but you'll note that they won't feel quite as good as when they were new. This happens with any damper. The amount of degradation you're willing go deal with is up to you. Everyone has different expectations and different priorities.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I still like my HKS IV GT as a comfy option, but I've yet to ride in a car with DFV or Bilstein.

Quick Reply: Coilover for Daily Driver