S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover for Daily Driver

Old 02-11-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
Bilstein PSS's are nearly twice the cost of Flex Z's though. They also won't go nearly as low as a set of Teins and maintain any sort of damper travel. The PSS line is more of a street biased coilover, while the Teins are more of a street/track setup with much higher spring rates and the ability to go lower and maintain travel.

The Flex Z's aren't perfect, but the dampers are very good for their price point, and the surrounding hardware is also good for the price point.

If you just want a bolt-in street based coilover that prioritizes comfort (and requires a high ride height to do it), the PSS are generally good.
PSS are closer to 1.5X the price.

Its true you do get a lot more with the Tein. And I like Tein. But the Bilsteins are monotubes, and the ride quality difference between Tein and Bilstein is massive.

Nobody who is serious about track use is going to pick either. But yes, the Flex has more agressive spring rates and might be better suited, in stock form, for track use.

The Bilsteins still work great for HPDE use. Plenty of very quick cars are on off-the-shelf B14 or B16 Bilsteins
Old 02-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Monotube vs. twin tube isn't as big of a deal as the aftermarket would like to make it out to be - at our level at least. My Koni 8611 setup on my S13 was superior to many Bilstein setups. It doesn't really matter what technology your dampers use if the damping curves are a bit off from optimal.

The S2000 Tein Flex Z's reminded me of a Koni's in their damping when they were dialed in correctly. The range of adjustment was narrow though, so it is easy to throw it off. From "optimal" there was probably ~1-2 clicks down, and maybe ~2 clicks up. More than that either way and they are not anywhere near optimally damped.

Don't get me wrong, Bilstein makes a nice damper, but an off the shelf PSS system isn't that great for anything but a mild street setup IMO. Their "nice stuff" gets pricey in a hurry, usually due to having to revalve them.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 AM
Naz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree both bilstein and konis are very good. And for someone with a good deal of suspension knowledge would have either setup work great. What @defsport said is very true. The damper adjustment varies quiet a bit from click to click and very easily the ride quality and handling can be thrown off. The thing i like most is th at even at very low ride heights the damper settings can be set to most drivers preference with a good deal of travel for comfort. On koni yellows the handling improved but much harsher when lowered (from my experience). I would love to drive on a set of bilsteins to see the ride quality. Comfort is a hard thing to find in these cars driving around Nyc.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a set of used Bilstein PSS-9's and should have them soon. Looking forward to installing the coilovers just have to buy a set of spanner wrenches as the coilovers do not have them included.

I also bought 4 new tires, Bridgestone Potenza S-04, as the tires that are on the car are old, noisy, and mismatched from two different tire manufactures.

Will update everyone once I have everything installed.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Between the tires and suspension you've chosen, compared to old worn out stuff on there now, its going to be a revelation. Night and day. Especially the tires.

You're gonna be in heaven compared to before.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I suggest getting it aligned when you are done. Enjoy.