S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover recommendations

Old 04-29-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
I feel like if you're an enthusiast, and you care about how the car handles and perform, everyone should try the OEM offering first. The stock suspension wasn't just randomly thrown onto the car, and their capability covers nearly most drivers, EVEN if you were to take it onto the track.

Additionally, if there's a method to one's modifications, you need a baseline.
Isnt that pretty subjective however? Because i know many enthusiasts who slam their cars on bags and have stupid camber. I hate it and now why i bought the car, but they are just as much as an enthusiast as i am. Just for a different reason. While i do agree with you that its good to see what the stock form of the car can do, sometimes its just not worth it for some people. Like in OPs case. If i were in his shoes i wouldnt bother with OEM suspension either. I just dont have the time or the energy to install two sets of suspension when at the end of the day i already know i want it a bit stiffer and lower for my daily commute
Old 04-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Oh I don’t disagree about the oem suspension and at least driving the car some in that form. I also don’t think you have to stay at that state for a huge amount of time. You have to realize the oem suspension did have compromises given the range of buyers for the car. A decent used oem suspension is all of $150 so not a bad way to ditch the junk eBay stuff till you decide what aftermarket setup you want.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Oh I don’t disagree about the oem suspension and at least driving the car some in that form. I also don’t think you have to stay at that state for a huge amount of time. You have to realize the oem suspension did have compromises given the range of buyers for the car. A decent used oem suspension is all of $150 so not a bad way to ditch the junk eBay stuff till you decide what aftermarket setup you want.
Yeah that's I meant. You don't need to keep them. But the improvement of stock over the ebay junk should hold OP off for a while.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by xxyion
Isnt that pretty subjective however? Because i know many enthusiasts who slam their cars on bags and have stupid camber. I hate it and now why i bought the car, but they are just as much as an enthusiast as i am. Just for a different reason. While i do agree with you that its good to see what the stock form of the car can do, sometimes its just not worth it for some people. Like in OPs case. If i were in his shoes i wouldnt bother with OEM suspension either. I just dont have the time or the energy to install two sets of suspension when at the end of the day i already know i want it a bit stiffer and lower for my daily commute
I should clarify when I use the word "enthusiasts". It's strictly for people who (at the very least tries to) understand the characteristics of the car, what it needs based on personal preference when it comes to performance.

I don't use the word "enthusiasts" to describe idiots who slam their cars and have their wheels sticking out like dirt-road monster trucks.

Please see below for the compilation of idiots, not enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:07 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

People who go wild with crazy paint jobs or restoring classics to original condition are enthusiasts. I'm loathe to admit the hard parking crowd are also enthusiasts, just a different kind.

Often when we use the term enthisiast on this site its shorthand for performance enthusiast. None of those examples above are part of that subgenre.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 AM
rmc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely have no plans on slamming it or ever want to.. I’m just really eager to hopefully use my car to track when I get back into the states. I do appreciate all the comments(as I do like reading what everyone has to say) and suggestions about the OEM suspension, but as much as that may be a neat idea, I’d like to just get a decent set of coilovers right off the bat. I know it would probably behoove of me to generate a baseline using OEM at first, but I’m sure I’d end up upgrading either for daily use or if I started seeing the track more. I’ve actually been working with Justin from Rockstar Garage to set up a custom spec of Feal 441’s for me and am pretty excited to see how they turn out
Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by rmc
Definitely have no plans on slamming it or ever want to.. I’m just really eager to hopefully use my car to track when I get back into the states. I do appreciate all the comments(as I do like reading what everyone has to say) and suggestions about the OEM suspension, but as much as that may be a neat idea, I’d like to just get a decent set of coilovers right off the bat. I know it would probably behoove of me to generate a baseline using OEM at first, but I’m sure I’d end up upgrading either for daily use or if I started seeing the track more. I’ve actually been working with Justin from Rockstar Garage to set up a custom spec of Feal 441’s for me and am pretty excited to see how they turn out
Sounds like know exactly what you want to do with your car. That's awesome man. Would love to see your feedback on your custom Feal 441's.

For me, I need a baseline, and my current lack of skills don't warrant suspension upgrade yet (Though, I did come across a steal for KW V3. I can't wait to throw those on after one or two track days).
Old 04-30-2019, 10:17 PM
rmc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Sounds like know exactly what you want to do with your car. That's awesome man. Would love to see your feedback on your custom Feal 441's.

For me, I need a baseline, and my current lack of skills don't warrant suspension upgrade yet (Though, I did come across a steal for KW V3. I can't wait to throw those on after one or two track days).
I’ll definitely try to post a sort of “review” or at least my opinions on how they feel. I know I wanted something a little more on the stiff side since I’ll be considering aero in the future