S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover Theory 101: Coil Spring Comparison

Old 09-03-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Just a model number and an abbreviation (in German) which is front and which is rear. Many, including myself, have hounded them over the years, but they refuse to divulge, citing no industry standard means to spec a single numeric spring rate value for a progressive spring. So if one tried to compare their spec to some other progressive springs specs, it would be misleading. They kinda have a point.

I even tried to just ask them what the percentage difference was front vs rear, no dice.

Anyway, I finished my measurements and published my findings in a new thread I just created.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:37 PM
YCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Just a model number and an abbreviation (in German) which is front and which is rear. Many, including myself, have hounded them over the years, but they refuse to divulge, citing no industry standard means to spec a single numeric spring rate value for a progressive spring. So if one tried to compare their spec to some other progressive springs specs, it would be misleading. They kinda have a point.

I even tried to just ask them what the percentage difference was front vs rear, no dice.

Anyway, I finished my measurements and published my findings in a new thread I just created.
As one of the only TUV certified spring manufacturers, they should have to provide this information (although just providing the range is sufficient to meet that). Let me know the number and I'll see what I can dig up.

Instead of creating multiple spring rate threads, you should add your info this thread. That will keep everything in one place.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 09-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Good stuff. If you are taking requests, I would be interested in seeing Eibach coil springs tested. I installed higher rate Eibachs on my KW clubsports because of ID clearance. I originally was going to go with Swift, but their ID was a little too small.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:13 PM
YCW

Yup, plan on that
Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Would love to see Intercomp test data on the OE (Showa) S2000 springs! If you could validate (or refute!) my analytical models (see sig) I think it would be a great service to this community. I'm also curious what you think of the OE spring quality and whether they are susceptible to any substantial sag or rate fatigue.

Oh, and while you're taking requests, would you happen to be able to divulge the nominal shear modulus of Swift's spring steel?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Definitely would like to see the comparison between swift and other reputable brands.

Its good that you showed the differences between super junk springs and Swift. I think that's a good demonstration that a spring isn't just a spring, regardless of cost.

But it would be nice to see how/if/why Swifts are worth the premium over other reputable brands like Eibach, H&R, etc.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 PM
YCW

Originally Posted by twohoos
Would love to see Intercomp test data on the OE (Showa) S2000 springs! If you could validate (or refute!) my analytical models (see sig) I think it would be a great service to this community. I'm also curious what you think of the OE spring quality and whether they are susceptible to any substantial sag or rate fatigue.

Oh, and while you're taking requests, would you happen to be able to divulge the nominal shear modulus of Swift's spring steel?
As a matter of fact, I do have a set of oem S2000 springs sitting somewhere in the warehouse trash rack. Are probably rusted to hell now as they've been sitting there for a couple years (and I'm in a place with 90-100% humidity daily), but I'll see if I can dig them out.

Regarding the shear modulus, the common 9254 silicon spring steel is around 78 Gpa. I'll check with the Swift technician, but not promising if they're willing to divulge or not
Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Definitely would like to see the comparison between swift and other reputable brands.

Its good that you showed the differences between super junk springs and Swift. I think that's a good demonstration that a spring isn't just a spring, regardless of cost.

But it would be nice to see how/if/why Swifts are worth the premium over other reputable brands like Eibach, H&R, etc.
Awesome info! I would like to see how Swift compares to other name brands as well. In addition to the brands named above, I'd like to see a comparison vs Hyperco, since those seems to be a brand which is selected when someone "upgrades" springs on an existing coilover.

Based on your testing, you predict that wear rates are uneven between the Swift and the cheap Taiwan spring. I'm curious to see how it would compare to other name brand springs.

For Ohlins, a recommended upgrade is to buy a stiffer spring for the front and move the front spring to the rear, if a Swift spring was used in the front and the OEM Ohlin spring was moved to the back, might the wear rate be different between the two, which would lead to less than optimal performance from the coils?

Thanks for doing this!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:52 PM
YCW

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Awesome info! I would like to see how Swift compares to other name brands as well. In addition to the brands named above, I'd like to see a comparison vs Hyperco, since those seems to be a brand which is selected when someone "upgrades" springs on an existing coilover.

Based on your testing, you predict that wear rates are uneven between the Swift and the cheap Taiwan spring. I'm curious to see how it would compare to other name brand springs.

For Ohlins, a recommended upgrade is to buy a stiffer spring for the front and move the front spring to the rear, if a Swift spring was used in the front and the OEM Ohlin spring was moved to the back, might the wear rate be different between the two, which would lead to less than optimal performance from the coils?

Thanks for doing this!
Yes, both Hyperco and Eibach are on the "must-do" list. Ohlins exclusively use Eibach springs (but re-branded). For wear rate on the Eibachs, depends on which "model" you have, as Ohlins use both their regular and pro

Quick Reply: Coilover Theory 101: Coil Spring Comparison