S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilovers: Fortune-Auto 500, BC racing, or Megans?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers: Fortune-Auto 500, BC racing, or Megans?

I know a lot of post comparing coilovers come up but as I am looking to buy coils now, I would like some of your insights into these coilovers. My car will be used mostly as a daily driver, maybe 85% daily, and the other 15% for autox and track days (I do plan on tracking more though in the future). I do drive hard on a lot of backroads too. This being said, I don't think I should be spending the money on the very high end products like KW's or motons, as I probably won't use them to their full potential and I won't use the money's worth out of them. BUT I don't want to get coilovers that will perform worse than stock! I want the car to handle well.

So, I narrowed my choices down to 3: Fortune auto 500's with swift springs, BC racing coilovers, or Megan racing track coilovers. I am on factory size, staggered tires (although I do want to get wider ones on both front and back).

I originally wanted the FA 500's, but I read that they have a slight issue of having a "bouncy" feel to them at the rear end. Most reviews have been good though. These are also the most expensive. I do plan on getting some swift springs with more than the standard 9k spring rate.

The BC racing and megan coils are around the same price. However, the Magan Tracks have the highest spring rate out of them all, at 12k. I might change the BC coilvoers spring rate up to 12 though.

What do you guys think? Should I spend a few more hundreds for the fortune atuo's? Or go with BC/Megan? Also, would it help if I got a stiffer front sway bar? I'm on an AP2. I heard that if you get a stiffer one, you should get coils with spring rates that are even front and back, and if you dont have a stiffer sway bar, then get stiffer springs on the front, such as 12k front, 10k rear.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 AM

I own Fortune Auto 500 Ver4 with 9k Swift springs. I really enjoy the ride comfort as a DD. 10k-12k springs would probably be better for a more firm ride, just make sure you let FA know to re valve them. It does bounce only when you set the rears on soft settings. Shifting the car was noticeably much smoother than stock. Drives like stock, but a little more stiffer. Plus you can easily adjust the ride height and send it back to FA in Virginia for rebuilds.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the overall concensus is FA>BC>Megan. I was debating FA vs BC and went with the BC because they were 200 bucks cheaper and similar performance. I went with 12k springs all around. Kamispeed had the best price btw
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 AM

I would get the FA's but they are a bit more expensive with swift springs, which I do want. Should I just get the FA's without swifts rather than BC coils with swift springs? Both can be rebuilt and all. The BC's just seem to be a better deal right now cause with swifts I can get them for $1300 with free adjusted extenders. I just don't know if the fortune auto's are that much better than the BC coils, I've heard really good things for both and both are for occasional track use. They seem to have extremely close performance. I also heard that the FA's aren't the best choice for autox since the piston diameter is large at 50mm.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Well, I ordered a set of Gen5 FA500's revalved with 13k front/12k rear swifts which I will be using on a 255 non-stagger setup. They told me it would take about 3 weeks to build, and I ordered them about 2 weeks ago, so we will see when they get here.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by !@#$%
Well, I ordered a set of Gen5 FA500's revalved with 13k front/12k rear swifts which I will be using on a 255 non-stagger setup. They told me it would take about 3 weeks to build, and I ordered them about 2 weeks ago, so we will see when they get here.
Awesome. I decided on the FA500's, I ordered mine this past week with 12k front and back with swifts. Let me know how yours are!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:13 PM

is the minimum drop height still 1.5" on these? That is the main reason keeping me away from the FA500's and making me lean towards PSS
Old 04-06-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by taifei
is the minimum drop height still 1.5" on these? That is the main reason keeping me away from the FA500's and making me lean towards PSS
Not completely sure. I'll find out when I get them.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM

I emailed FA and they confirmed that the minimum drop is still 1.5" for the s2000.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by taifei
I emailed FA and they confirmed that the minimum drop is still 1.5" for the s2000.
Damn. That's the maximum I wanted to drop. Guess I'll be setting them to the minimum drop lol

Quick Reply: Coilovers: Fortune-Auto 500, BC racing, or Megans?