S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilovers for my DD

Old 05-02-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers for my DD

So im in the market for some coilovers and wanted some advice on what i should get

so far with my budget of $1000 I've been between BC BR type coilovers or ISC suspension

my car is daily driven and i also go on spirited drives quite often so i just want something that is pretty stiff (a bumpy ride doesn't bother me)

what i want to know is what spring rates should i get?
does anyone have experience with these coilovers, if so how is the quality of them?
are there any other coilovers around this price range that would be better?

my car is an 05 berlina black with 83k miles
rear tires are 255/40/17 Front 215/45/17 (with ap2v1)

Any advice is much appreciated!!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:20 PM

I had BC racing coilovers on my WRX and hated them. They were terribly harsh, and when I adjusted them softer, they were waaaay too bouncy.

My advice would be to look very seriously into Koni/Ground Control setup, or Bilstein PSS. Both of those are similar in price, and significantly superior in every way to BC Racing or ISC. Remember, a bumpy ride does not mean good suspension. Most good suspension systems on some of the fastest track cars ride smoother than OEM suspension. With either of my suggested setups, you will have a smoother ride than stock, but ultimately better handling with a less bouncy ride. The Bilsteins are custom specifically valved for an S2000, whereas all other "cheap" coilovers (BC, ISC, Fortune Auto, D2, etc...) are just a generic damper with the S2000-specific hardware/mounting points installed.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by GravyRobber
I had BC racing coilovers on my WRX and hated them. They were terribly harsh, and when I adjusted them softer, they were waaaay too bouncy.

My advice would be to look very seriously into Koni/Ground Control setup, or Bilstein PSS. Both of those are similar in price, and significantly superior in every way to BC Racing or ISC. Remember, a bumpy ride does not mean good suspension. Most good suspension systems on some of the fastest track cars ride smoother than OEM suspension. With either of my suggested setups, you will have a smoother ride than stock, but ultimately better handling with a less bouncy ride. The Bilsteins are custom specifically valved for an S2000, whereas all other "cheap" coilovers (BC, ISC, Fortune Auto, D2, etc...) are just a generic damper with the S2000-specific hardware/mounting points installed.

Thanks for the advice! ill definitely look into some of the suspensions systems you suggested. However i am curious as to how certain spring rates affect the car's handling as well because from my understanding, wouldn't a stiffer spring help keep tires on the ground for more traction? if so which spring rates would be ideal?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM

Oh yea definitely. With a good damper, you can actually run a pretty high spring rate and still have a decent ride. The Bilsteins come with their own spring rate, in the 350-380 range, IIRC. Its a little more than stock, but not by a huge margin. You can get the Koni/Ground Control with up to a 550 spring rate. For your needs, I'd recommend something like 500 front and back, maybe even slightly lower in front, like 440/500. The thing is though, the Bilstein is a superior damper. The Bilstein PSS would be ideal for you. Its a slight increase in spring rate, and a huge upgrade in damping. The car will ride smoother than stock, but when pushed, will corner with more precision, and with less body roll. It will also be less bouncy, making it more stable at the limit.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

PSS FTW. I had a set on my AP1 and they were outstanding. Currently on KWv3 with my AP2 and I can't tell the KWs are $1300 better for driving around town/spirited backroads.
The following users liked this post:
Korwen (01-14-2022)
Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 AM

Just went from swift spec r springs on stock shocks, to koni yellows, and either are a really good combo for street driving.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

For $1000? Bilstein PSS. Monotube with springs using stock upper mount. Springs rates are around stock in the back, about 25%-30% stiffer in front.

The Koni's are less for the Sport Shock, around $600 at Tire Rack. They also sell it with H&R lowering springs, but those springs seems to have a severe lowering and and unknown rate.

They have gotten good reviews as a low cost track day shock, but usually after being revalved. The fastest A Street and B Street S2000s at the National autocross championship were on OEM shocks.

A bumpy ride isn't fast, just annoying.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
<snip snip>
A bumpy ride isn't fast, just annoying.
EXACTLY
Old 05-03-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Another option is to save a bit more and get the Ohlins DFVs. Complete with 10kg/8kg (550/450) springs, top hats, $2425. A good, somewhat adjustable monotube shock.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the help guys! Ill definitely be rethinking which coilovers I plan to get. So far I'm thinking about saving a little more and purchasing bilstein pss9 for some adjustability.

Quick Reply: Coilovers for my DD