S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

CR Rear Sway Bar and '00-'01 Front Sway Bar Thoughts?

Old 11-30-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CR Rear Sway Bar and '00-'01 Front Sway Bar Thoughts?

Hey everyone,

I have a new CR rear sway bar and an '00-'01 front sway bar that I plan to install on an '05 (factory sway bars). It's sitting on CR springs with Koni Yellows, and has been aligned to CR specs. With this setup, the car takes corners well with no fuss and little oversteer, a complete opposite of my tail-happy, psychotic AP1 that I had before this car.

My question is, will adding the CR rear and the AP1V1 front bar upset the car's handling?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2015, 03:52 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

The stiffest sway bars, probably will make the car more responsive. Slightly more stable under braking. More difficult to drive at the absolute limit.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

"Psychotic Ap1" is exactly right haha. I have a MY03 and I recently changed to MY01 Front & MY06 Rear bars and it made a humongous difference. Exactly as you described - no fuss & little oversteer compared to the previous "psychotic" handling that seems like it wants to kill you.

I'm still on the stock rear-bias oem springs. I plan to get CR springs as well. And, I am pretty sure it'll be even better after the CR springs and another step in improvement, yet again.

In your case, it should be perfect, as that'll be pretty much a CR setup (sways, springs and alignment). You also have 2 options to play around with for tuning the rear - CR rear bar or stick with your MY05 rear bar.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Id stick with the rear ap2 bar you have and yes on the 00-01 front sway. This is the sways I run on my 01 and its a great balance. Removing the 01 rear sway to gain some traction in the rear with the ap2 bar was a good move, wish id done it a wile ago. I run 14k spring rate all around also. Your spring rate will of course influence your cars handling and traction bias front to rear.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
The stiffest sway bars, probably will make the car more responsive. Slightly more stable under braking. More difficult to drive at the absolute limit.
I agree.

Originally Posted by Jah2000
"Psychotic Ap1" is exactly right haha. I have a MY03 and I recently changed to MY01 Front & MY06 Rear bars and it made a humongous difference. Exactly as you described - no fuss & little oversteer compared to the previous "psychotic" handling that seems like it wants to kill you.

I'm still on the stock rear-bias oem springs. I plan to get CR springs as well. And, I am pretty sure it'll be even better after the CR springs and another step in improvement, yet again.

In your case, it should be perfect, as that'll be pretty much a CR setup (sways, springs and alignment). You also have 2 options to play around with for tuning the rear - CR rear bar or stick with your MY05 rear bar.

I miss the 9K redline, but not its handling.

Yeah, I'm quite pleased with the CR springs. They offer the perfect blend of street/auto-x performance. I think you'll be a happy camper with them!

I'm kind of iffy on the CR rear sway bar, but we'll see what happens. I'll post an update in this thread when I install them.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Id stick with the rear ap2 bar you have and yes on the 00-01 front sway. This is the sways I run on my 01 and its a great balance. Removing the 01 rear sway to gain some traction in the rear with the ap2 bar was a good move, wish id done it a wile ago. I run 14k spring rate all around also. Your spring rate will of course influence your cars handling and traction bias front to rear.
Interesting. I think what I will do first is, install the 00-01 front bar, and then drive the car to see how it feels. Then, I will install the CR rear to see if it improves or degrades the handling.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Inspired
I'm kind of iffy on the CR rear sway bar, but we'll see what happens. I'll post an update in this thread when I install them.

Interesting. I think what I will do first is, install the 00-01 front bar, and then drive the car to see how it feels. Then, I will install the CR rear to see if it improves or degrades the handling.
IN for your future impression/review. This would be excellent info and something I def want to know too - Ap2 vs CR rear sways.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:15 PM

@s2000Junky: Best sig/quotes I've seen on a forum, ever.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
@s2000Junky: Best sig/quotes I've seen on a forum, ever.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing by former AP1 and current AP2 to CR spec in springs/shocks/swaybars was the single most amazing change in handling I've ever done. It went from evil jiggly ass oversteer to almost completely neutral. Amazing.

Here is a link to THE definitive worldwide respected research of twohoos about the specs of the S2000 for sings, sway bars and shocks thru all model years and types.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/818...nsion-springs/

Here is the link to a table showing the sway bar specs. If you have a staggered setup, it is preferred that you stay with the CR rear sway bar (as well as the 00-01 front bar as it's essentially the same rate as the CR) If you have the square setup, you have transferred the weight balance drastically towards the front, so you would want a softer rear bar such as the 05 you mentioned, as well as a stiffer front bar (used Saner, Modditiction, Gendron) for the front, to bring the balance towards neutral again.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/i...gs-p6of6rev1a/
Old 12-12-2015, 04:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe it's the staggered setup that I am running but my my00 was never psychotic, even totally stock. The chassis is sensitive to front and rear loading, so yes if you are trail breaking through a corner at the limit, you can expect the car to rotate. However it never snapped, just smooth breakaway.

Even with the Koni yellow 500/500 and stock sways, the balance feels very much the same. The ride is a liittle better, the car grips better over pavement variations, but it's slightly slower to take a set.

Regardless of tires, shocks, springs, etc. the rule for being safe in my ap1 has always been the same. If your right foot is down through the corner, everything will work out. If you don't follow this, rule all bets are off.

Quick Reply: CR Rear Sway Bar and '00-'01 Front Sway Bar Thoughts?