S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb
View Poll Results: How long for new springs to "settle"
Quick spirited drive around the block
43.48%
Drive it for a few days
13.04%
At least 2 weeks
43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have evidence that coilovers need time to settle?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you have evidence that coilovers need time to settle?

Please vote only if you have actual experience on the subject not just word of mouth
Old 05-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll add to my vote of 'at least 2 weeks'. A track weekend on a bumpy track should help settle the springs too. I think my KWs really settled after doing a track day; a few months of street driving didn't really do too much. Though, if you have some really bumpy streets, it'll probably help them settle quickly. Basically, I think the springs need to be worked pretty hard for a decent duration, which is why a track day seems to do the job. 30 minute sessions of just beating on the suspension.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 PM

so why would the springs "settle"? the load on them is still the same (weight of the car) so if they obey the laws of physics (hooke's law) then they should always be at the same ride height if you dont increase the weight of the car.
Is there some part of the physics that i am missing?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I'll add to my vote of 'at least 2 weeks'. A track weekend on a bumpy track should help settle the springs too. I think my KWs really settled after doing a track day; a few months of street driving didn't really do too much. Though, if you have some really bumpy streets, it'll probably help them settle quickly. Basically, I think the springs need to be worked pretty hard for a decent duration, which is why a track day seems to do the job. 30 minute sessions of just beating on the suspension.
"you think" is not evidence.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:08 AM

I got my revalve konis + springs on about 5 weeks ago and drove it around for a bit had a corner balance and set ride height where I thought it should be.
Went to the track and it was too low, wheel hitting frame so I raised the car up about 1/4 1/2 inch.
Autocrossed it a week ago and went out yesterday and noticed I couldn't get the jack under the jacking point.. looks like its dropped 1/4 - 1/2"

I've used these springs before so I don't know if this is settling in the shocks or the springs or maybe the springs bedding into the perches.. seems like its sinking though

I wouldn't get a corner balance or alignment if you don't need it untill you've put some mileage on them else you will be doing it again in a weeks
Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 AM

Here's my take, springs should not settle. Those that do are of inferior quality. Stick with swift or hypercoil. All others will have mixed results and should be avoided.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by robinson
Here's my take, springs should not settle. Those that do are of inferior quality. Stick with swift or hypercoil. All others will have mixed results and should be avoided.

exactly my thoughts dude. a spring that will sag in 10 days is no good
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by robinson
what about the shocks? maybe the springs weren't seating right in the rubber bits on the hats
Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dan_uk
Originally Posted by robinson' timestamp='1306758246' post='20630515
what about the shocks? maybe the springs weren't seating right in the rubber bits on the hats
Then it's not spring sag.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 PM

a quick drive to transfer the weight here and there should do the trick with the rubber bushings

Quick Reply: Do you have evidence that coilovers need time to settle?