S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

EBC Yellow Review - (Track) - DON'T DO IT!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default EBC Yellow Review - (Track) - DON'T DO IT!

I spent a long time reading about recommendations for pads on these forums and ended up choosing pads that not many people recommended.. Why did I choose them then? Pad availability in Canada is pretty brutal for s2000's through any of my local stores or even online within Canada. With our dollar the way it is, plus shipping and duties ordering the highly recommended pads such as Project MU, Carbotech, etc was prohibitively expensive. So I went with the EBC yellows based on quite a few reviewers saying they worked fine for track day's and hard driving. There were quite a few who swore they wouldn't stand up to the abuse as well of course. I was new to the s2000 however and a novice for track days so I figured I wouldn't be too hard on brakes and they would serve me fine.

My initially impression is that they don't take long to heat up to operating temperature which is nice for the street, and they were decently powerful, however I am not a fan of their weak initial bite. Way too much pedal travel to get decent braking. (Fresh flui and stainless lines). They actually performed decently for a 5 track days (approx 3 20 min sessions each time). A couple of times near the end of the sessions, especially my last track day where I was pushing the car harder than I had previously it would take a bit more pedal pressure and they smoked like crazy but I never lost much performance.

I have another track day this Friday and didn't have any meat left on the pads, so I pulled them out this morning (to replace with Project Mu HC 800) and holy shit, these things just fell apart! That's pretty scary stuff. These are the rears. I haven't pulled the fronts off yet.

IMG_3031 by Ryan Cole, on Flickr
Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Yes...Yellows fall apart. This has happened to almost everyone that uses them.

How is the availability of Stoptech Street Performance/sport in Canada? Those pads are cheap, of similar material construction as EBC yellows...but they don't fail...or...at least...haven't failed for me on track.

Neither are heavy duty track pads. But unlike EBC, Stoptechs aren't advertised as pads for actual, heavy track use. I think the description is something like "high performance street and mild/occasional track use".

I like the stoptechs more than the Hawk HP+ because they can actually be used on the street without destroying everything. And they have a more linear bite...along with a max operating temp of 1300F (400F higher than HP+). Yes...I'm aware that the torque values aren't the same. But bite is still good.

I use Carbotechs on the front and Stoptechs on the back for slower tracks.
I use Carbotechs all around for bigger tracks.

I have used stoptechs all around on stock S2000's with success. And on my K24 ITR with success.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the tip on the Stoptechs. I actually never looked into those as I didn't come across them on these forums as being a popular choice. I can actually get these very cheap locally so I'll be giving them a try next time for sure. I have Project MU 800 going for now, but they cost me about twice what I can get the stop tech's for. The reviews I read on the HP+ basically line up with what you're saying, along with reports of complete loss of braking on certain tracks in high temps.

Originally Posted by B serious
Yes...Yellows fall apart. This has happened to almost everyone that uses them.

How is the availability of Stoptech Street Performance/sport in Canada? Those pads are cheap, of similar material construction as EBC yellows...but they don't fail...or...at least...haven't failed for me on track.

Neither are heavy duty track pads. But unlike EBC, Stoptechs aren't advertised as pads for actual, heavy track use. I think the description is something like "high performance street and mild/occasional track use".

I like the stoptechs more than the Hawk HP+ because they can actually be used on the street without destroying everything. And they have a more linear bite...along with a max operating temp of 1300F (400F higher than HP+). Yes...I'm aware that the torque values aren't the same. But bite is still good.

I use Carbotechs on the front and Stoptechs on the back for slower tracks.
I use Carbotechs all around for bigger tracks.

I have used stoptechs all around on stock S2000's with success. And on my K24 ITR with success.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out hawks new street/race pad, same temp range at their dtc-30 pads. They are not a bad mild track pad that can be used on street too. way way better than HP+
Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 AM

Interesting. Thanks buddy. I'll check those out.

Originally Posted by devildust
Check out hawks new street/race pad, same temp range at their dtc-30 pads. They are not a bad mild track pad that can be used on street too. way way better than HP+
Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

After I torched my rear ebc yellow pads, I just threw some cheap stop tech sport pads. And you know what, they aren't bad. Two track days later they haven't melted, and the bite is pretty good.

My front ebc pads are about done, I am half considering the stop techs for the front also.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Frank Ewald does a sale on Carbotech pads once or twice a year, his pricing is only good in Canada as the US distributors get upset if he offers them to US customers at lower cost. I've bought a couple sets from him. If you are interested I can look up his information, he's a good guy to deal with and he offers some good deals.

I've never liked anything about EBC pads, it seems like everyone pushes them in Canada, must be some sort of marketing deal with distributors. I ran them once on my past Hondas and found that they smoke, and are not rotor friendly, and generally perform poorly.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
After I torched my rear ebc yellow pads, I just threw some cheap stop tech sport pads. And you know what, they aren't bad. Two track days later they haven't melted, and the bite is pretty good.

My front ebc pads are about done, I am half considering the stop techs for the front also.
Stoptechs are surprisingly good. I've been using them as street pads for years. I used them on a stock S2000 with success. I don't know that a front axle set would work on my S2000 for track use...though they might.

Its the closest I've seen to a real "dual duty" pad. The dust washes right off, they're quiet, and fairly rotor friendly.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the tip zeroptzero. I googled and found his website so I have it bookmarked now.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I ran Yellowstuffs, did a 20-30 min taster session and they were shocking after 2-3 laps.

On my second set now of Ferodo DS2500's, as good as been on fire and no sign of fade at all

Quick Reply: EBC Yellow Review - (Track) - DON'T DO IT!