S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Feedback on Megan Coilovers?

Old 03-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Emil You are taking a 100 million dollar suspension (Hondas countless hours of R&D) and replacing it with a coilover that was designed to just "fit" the s2000. There is no R&D involved in these coilovers.

I have never used them, nor tried them. However, suspension tuning is almost impossible to do on your own, and companies have to shell out major bucks to test the stuff. When it comes to stuff like this....usually the price reflects the quality.

However, they might have been reverse engineered from a top shelf coilover, thus the low cost.

IMHO, the s2000 suspension is tough to beat, and I dont believe a $1000 coilover can do it.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally from what I see, there are a lot of people on tons of boards that claim that they know more simply because they have a "friend" who has this or because they spend more time on the internet researching. Buying by brand, price, performance is not a problem. I distribute to both high end shops as well as regular guys starting off. As long as someone wants to do something then that's great. The way I see it, the only time to chime in is when there is something that can potentially be bad for the car. The guy just wanted feedback and it gets tiring seeing guys bash on certain parts and talk about people buying something else when they themselves don't have them. It's just on a wishlist that never gets checked off. A lot of parts from Japan aren't that good when it comes to performance either. It's just the fact that they come from there that makes some people think it's superior. I've built many cars that will rival lots of cars built with "JDM" parts, but there are companies over there that do make good parts. Japan makes a lot of things better, but not everything.

Don't mean to jack the thread, but thought I might as well drop in my .02 As far as Megans go, they are decent. I personally like Buddy Club for the price and with the Megans, D2 also falls into this category. Just to clarify, I also sell Mugen, J's etc. etc. I like a lot of brands as well, but sometimes people don't care or just can't justify spending that much.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-22-2006, 11:11 AM

You don't need to spend $$$$ on track coilovers if you're only driving on the street.

Cheaper brands like Megen will be just fine.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM

^ or worse
Old 03-22-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Yeung,Mar 22 2006, 12:21 PM
^ or worse
^^^^^ Maybe
Old 03-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Still better than simply lowering the car with springs.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Bilstien's seem to have a good performance record to match the R&D. Many enthusiasts run with these on German cars, and they can be had for not much more than Megans. Any thoughts of using the Bilstien PSS9's for the street with mild track use?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:56 AM

^my guess is that they would be great for what you want from it. Street and mild track. There suspension is soft for die hard track junkies.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:24 PM

Less than 1% of s2k owners [whether you track your car or not] need a better suspension setup than stock as far as handling goes. If you want durability with easy adjustability for a good look, so be it, coilovers will accomplish this. Getting a shock/spring combo for many will not since the ride quality is often sacrificed for the lower ride height, and not all people want the lower height all the time.

The only people that need a suspension setup better than stock or decent aftermarket coilovers are professional racers IMO.

Therefore, megan racing is just as good as a 5k setup from japan for 99.9% of people.

For cars that don't have the amazing suspension stock that the s2k does, I can see how the variables can differ.

I've also had experience with the megan street setup in a rsx-s, much better than the shock/spring combo he was running as far as ride quality, turn in, grip, weight shifting, etc. was concerned.

Quick Reply: Feedback on Megan Coilovers?