S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilover Review

Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Wonder if these make the Tein Mono Flex's not worth the money anymore
Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
^You can go up on spring rate without having to upgrade to Swifts. Swifts are just a superior spring. They are lighter than the standard springs and seem to move more freely and have more consistent rate throughout the compression of the spring.

Whether or not I pick up some of these I'm still planning on upgrading the springs on my coilovers to Swifts.
I did some reading about the Swift springs and that why I figure I upgrade from the get go and that way I have swiifts paied with the coilovers. I just want the best bang for the price and these seem to do it.

I would go the KWV3 route but for my car being a DD, its way too much coilover and it will never see the track either so I can't justify $2k when it can be spent elsewhere and still meet my needs.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine directly from Terry at Fortune auto, he is very quick to reply and will also be able to direct you to any vendor. You can get any spring rate on the stock spring ranging from 6k-13k. I think that when it comes time to get these coilovers rebuilt (which they will do in the USA, Virginia to be exact) I will upgrade to the swifts at that point. However, I must say they feel great even with the stock springs. So if your on a budget you will not be disappointed. I would be curious to see how the 510s feel in comparison to the 500s though.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

They rebuild them right down the street from me I've ridden in their Evo track car that had them and was very pleased. I actually worked with them to develop the very first set for the s2000 as well. At the time they weren't offering the Swift spring upgrade.

I'm really thinking of going against the grain on this one
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
They rebuild them right down the street from me I've ridden in their Evo track car that had them and was very pleased. I actually worked with them to develop the very first set for the s2000 as well. At the time they weren't offering the Swift spring upgrade.

I'm really thinking of going against the grain on this one
If you end up going the Fortune route, I would love to get a ride to feel for myself. I really want to feel the difference. I'm sure it will be night and day for me going from my current setup but I am also curious to hear what you have to say since the Clubsports are awesome coilovers.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^Which is why I can't make up my mind if I really want to do it or not. Decisions decisions.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by nmrado
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1317695116' post='21036608
Is rebound adjustable independent of bound?
Dyno plot above shows the rebound adjustment range. Though the range is on the small side, it does show there isn't much cross talk between rebound and compression, i.e., the rebound adjuster only affects rebound.
That dyne graph can't be a real dynograph. There is no way the lines are that straight if it is a real dynograph. Those are generated using excel or some other stuff.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Gents,

Sorry if this is considered to be high jacking your thread but I have been reading all sorts of reviews on coilovers since I picked up my S a few weeks ago.

These Fortune one's certainly sound like a good bang for your buck.

However, I have yet to come across any reviews for H&R's Coilovers.

My link

I have always run H&R on all my other Hondas/Acura’s and loved them (H&R & Tockico setup) so was just wondering if they would be good on the S.

Signed,

A fellow Edmontonian
Old 10-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Andrie
That dyne graph can't be a real dynograph. There is no way the lines are that straight if it is a real dynograph. Those are generated using excel or some other stuff.
Possibly...but the same could be said for any dyno plot. Whether you believe it is up to you, but that's what was provided by the reviewer. I didn't express my opinions about the plot. Just pointed out what it illustrates in response to someone else's question.

Edit: Post processing or manipulation of the data has been performed to some extent. The lack of a force offset (at 0 in/sec) for a monotube damper means that someone has adjusted the data to remove this offset. Whether more tweaks were made or whether the plots were falsely generated is unknown. Many manufacturers will adjust the force values to account for the force offset at 0 in/sec. The force offset is a result of the nitrogen charge pressure and the cross sectional area of the damper shaft.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Look, I'm just pointing out that graph can't be a an actual dyno plot. We can argue but it is not the place. My credential speaks for itself. I also do suspension consulting for few race team.

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilover Review