S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Front Left Side Lower?

Old 01-22-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

The spring seat rubber is irrelevant. If the spring seat itself is damaged, the damper should be replaced. Your spring pics look fine, but the swaybar bushing looks a little suspect, so I'm voting swaybar pre-load. Disconnect one side, drive around block, park and check again. If that fixes it, you just need adjustable endlinks.

Another common cause: most bolt-on mods and weight-relief measures save weight on (and therefore raise) the right side of the car. Exhaust, header, battery, removing spare, and removing passenger seat all drop weight on the right side.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twohoos
The spring seat rubber is irrelevant. If the spring seat itself is damaged, the damper should be replaced. Your spring pics look fine, but the swaybar bushing looks a little suspect, so I'm voting swaybar pre-load. Disconnect one side, drive around block, park and check again. If that fixes it, you just need adjustable endlinks.

Another common cause: most bolt-on mods and weight-relief measures save weight on (and therefore raise) the right side of the car. Exhaust, header, battery, removing spare, and removing passenger seat all drop weight on the right side.
I changed the spring seats because they were worn, both shocks appear (luckily) to be perfectly fine. I will check the sway bar, I don't think the bushings are the problem though, I've heard of the bushings for these sway bars to be a bit off, but there might be a problem with the end links, I will check once I change my lower control arm, the parts should be arriving this week, and I will install the next one. My car has no mods done other than the sway bar and a comptech S/C kit.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just one front corner that is lower on yours? My whole passenger side is higher.
Just saw that my driver's side engine mount is leaking. Doubt that has any effect on ride height, but when I'm under it fixing that I will take twohoos recommendation and disconnect front (and rear) sways and see if that fixes it. I just want to make sure everything is sound on mine since it was a salvage before I get coilovers if there is an underlying issue.

Please keep us updated calerouxz! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by BadgerS2000
Is it just one front corner that is lower on yours? My whole passenger side is higher.
Just saw that my driver's side engine mount is leaking. Doubt that has any effect on ride height, but when I'm under it fixing that I will take twohoos recommendation and disconnect front (and rear) sways and see if that fixes it. I just want to make sure everything is sound on mine since it was a salvage before I get coilovers if there is an underlying issue.

Please keep us updated calerouxz! Thanks!
Just the front left on mine, my rear side is perfectly fine, I would also start with the sway bars and work your way up from there.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by calerouxz
I will check the sway bar, I don't think the bushings are the problem though
Just to be clear, I don't think the swaybar bushings themselves are the problem, I think they're just an indicator that the swaybar is being torqued quite a bit by pre-load. Pre-load is a result of a difference in left-right suspension loading, which could be due to either a left-right weight imbalance (hopefully), or some suspension issue (e.g. a bent arm or damper failure). It's actually pretty likely that even after you've resolved any suspension problems, there will still be a weight imbalance. The only way to remove swaybar pre-load is with adjustable endlinks. (Note: the endlinks should be adjusted by your alignment shop while you're sitting in the car, so that your own weight is accounted for.)

Last edited by twohoos; 01-23-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:36 PM

Update-
today we replaced the bent front left lower control arm, as well as well as the ball joint, for the most part my handling issues are gone, the car was able to be aligned properly , but the ride height difference is still there, I do think I will have to live with this height difference, as I don’t see any issues as far as handling goes...