S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Front Left Side Lower?

Old 12-21-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you clock both upper and lower control arms? I think I only did the upper control arms in the front.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You clock any bushing you loosened. That includes bushing on lower shock mounts.

If you suspect someone else loosened a bushing and didn't reclock it, reclock it yourself to be sure.
The following users liked this post:
b_ron (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 10:55 PM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

To rule out the pre loaded bushings leave the upper arms a hair loose to where they still move freely and set the car on the ground, settle the suspension accordingly and re measure. It can always be a slightly bent knuckle that is causing the uneven ride height. From my experience most s2ks (bone stock) aren't perfectly level from side to side and also the subframe is always slightly to the left. This isn't out first rodeo with these cars and most of the results are the same...
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RogueMotorsports
To rule out the pre loaded bushings leave the upper arms a hair loose to where they still move freely and set the car on the ground, settle the suspension accordingly and re measure. It can always be a slightly bent knuckle that is causing the uneven ride height. From my experience most s2ks (bone stock) aren't perfectly level from side to side and also the subframe is always slightly to the left. This isn't out first rodeo with these cars and most of the results are the same...
I was also thinking it could be a bent knuckle, it would seem to be the area that took the biggest impact when the crash happened, it would account for a difference in ride height as well as problems adjusting the caster during alignment. I do want to check the bushings first though and rule them out. There is some odd handling, so it's not just the ride height that is worrying. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by calerouxz; 01-11-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by calerouxz
I was also thinking it could be a bent knuckle, it would seem to be the area that took the biggest impact when the crash happened, it would account for a difference in ride height as well as problems adjusting the caster during alignment. I do want to check the bushings first though and rule them out. There is some odd handling, so it's not just the ride height that is worrying. Thanks for the reply!
Have you had it on an alignment rack?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:33 AM

Yes, after I installed the springs it went to get aligned, I got told the caster couldn’t be adjusted anymore on the front left side, everything else was aligned propperly, there is a difference between either side in caster.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey man I have this same exact problem but the right front is lower ~.5 than the left front. I'm still dealing with it but here's my experience.

Car started completely stock and here's the sequence of events.
I actually had 2 separate issues, 1 was the ride height, the other was camber couldn't be adjusted on the right front to match the left front
Got the car to a laser frame inspection rack. Car came out perfect! But with the front bumper off we could see the top of the knuckle on the right side was visually bent.
Changed that and it fixed the camber issue but didn't fix the ride height issue
Changed to fortune auto coilovers - didn't fix the issue but allowed me to adjust ride height so it was equal, so just a bandaid
unhooked sway bar - didn't fix it
changed front sway bar - didn't fix it
bought a used upper control arm off fleabay - didn't fix it
installed a used lower control arm bushing - didn't fix it
insalled a completely new lower control arm - didn't fix it.

So I have changed every single component on the right front of this car and i still see the ride height issue. I'm at a loss, it could have been the used knuckle i bought has an issue, maybe the used upper control arm.
I don't know how much this helps, but in your case you might want to get your frame inspected just to be sure that's fine, that was my first step and probably should be yours.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:04 PM

I am getting the car looked at this weekend (I hope), hopefully we find the problem and fix whatever needs fixing. I have heard there might be some minor differences in ride height, but I shouldn't be having issues with adjusting caster, the front end also seems slightly floaty, so I'm still looking around. If your car feels fine, can get aligned and everything else is good on your car, I wouldn't worry about it much more, I don't know what else you could look at to fix ride height issue.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calerouxz
I am getting the car looked at this weekend (I hope), hopefully we find the problem and fix whatever needs fixing. I have heard there might be some minor differences in ride height, but I shouldn't be having issues with adjusting caster, the front end also seems slightly floaty, so I'm still looking around. If your car feels fine, can get aligned and everything else is good on your car, I wouldn't worry about it much more, I don't know what else you could look at to fix ride height issue.
Any updates? Been following along as the passenger side (front and back) of my new to me S is visibly higher than my driver's side.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:02 AM

So, I actually got the car looked at, and it appears I have a bent front (left) lower control arm, I ordered a new control arm and a ball joint (I know it can be done without a new ball joint, but considering how long it takes to get parts shipped here, I didn't want to take any chances), I'm not exactly confident it would account for the difference in ride height, but I will update once I install these in the coming 1 or 2 weeks. I'm starting to give up to the ride height issue, if I'm honest, I would say it bothers me, but if the car drives fine, I wouldn't worry.

Quick Reply: Front Left Side Lower?