S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Front Sway Bar for 11k/11k

Old 08-30-2018, 03:09 AM

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zumns2k

all of them ... i was coming in and making adjustments all day

even had another driver give me feedback and he came in a couple times for some changes and went back out.

Tire pressures? How stiff did you go in the rear damper wise? When you say the car felt loose did it feel sloppy in transitions as well, or just too much oversteer? Which corners at Laguna Seca?
You may prefer going to a stiffer front sway - the 32mm Megan bar is likely only marginally stiffer than the early ap1 front bar.

The other thing to discuss is how "loose" do you expect the car to be? Because this is my expectation on square spring rates, square 255, and front bar.
He is running 14k/14k Ohlins DFV, no aero, Comptech front sway.

Here's another video: with 14k/12k DFV, rear wing, stock bars, AP1, you can see it's a little more pushy than the square spring rates but can still be twitchy.

If the first video is too "loose" for you then our expectations are different and you would need a big front bar, like a Karcepts or Moddictions/Saner bar, or either go stiffer front springs or softer rear springs.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by zumns2k
Any other supporting mods on the car when this tuning was done?

also was this on a track or on the street?

Shortly after I bought the car I installed offset ball joints in front to get more camber (~3.2 deg). Other than that, the car was stock when I installed the SBG kit (it's a MY00). I later went with a square 255 setup. My comments are about performance on the track. In general I don't push it hard enough on the street to find the limits - the consequences of "getting it wrong" aren't worth it.

I'll add that my experience going square was far less dramatic than many people on this site said it would be. I was expecting the rear to be crazy loose and it is nothing like that. Candidly, the biggest difference is in the braking performance - the bigger front tire allows deeper braking. Front cornering grip is improved - but nowhere near as much as you'd think based on what is written here. The overall balance of the car didn't really change - probably the most notable improvement was less understeer on corner exit with WOT.

I'll add that the extra confidence and braking performance I gained has allowed me to improve my PB at the local track by almost 5 seconds in the last year. Some of that is from seat time, but most is the improved predictability of the suspension. The car is more fun to drive at 10/10 too.