S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   Hawk HP Plus - how many track days? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/hawk-hp-plus-how-many-track-days-1193536/)

Say Chi Sin Lo 04-22-2019 10:24 AM

Hawk HP Plus - how many track days?

Dear all,

I'm in line to get a set of used Hawk HP Plus. They've seen 2 track days per the previous owner. If you use them (currently or before), can you tell me how many track days can they sustain?

Thanks!

B serious 04-22-2019 01:23 PM

None.

They're not track pads.

Great for autocross though (they're autocross pads).

lookstoomuch 04-22-2019 01:33 PM

^^^ What he said. I used them on a miata for my first few times out at HPDE's, I quickly wore them out and moved on.

With a decently fast driver in an S2000, those things will not last long.

mojo_jojo77777 04-22-2019 01:45 PM

realizing they are autox pads (lots of initial bite), I've had no issues with them on track for casual HPDE, as well as other local s2000 owners. I've managed 9 track days on a set of HP+ before replacing set. Makes me wonder how hard others are on their brakes/differences between tracks across this country.

I never experienced fade with them, and I've even talked to an instructor that instructed for NASA, and he ran HP+ on his s2000 at one point too, before switching to Carbotechs.

B serious 04-22-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by mojo_jojo77777 (Post 24592971)
realizing they are autox pads (lots of initial bite), I've had no issues with them on track for casual HPDE, as well as other local s2000 owners. I've managed 9 track days on a set of HP+ before replacing set. Makes me wonder how hard others are on their brakes/differences between tracks across this country.

I never experienced fade with them, and I've even talked to an instructor that instructed for NASA, and he ran HP+ on his s2000 at one point too, before switching to Carbotechs.

My ITR managed to smear them across the rotors, causing MASSIVE vibration. But, admittedly they did work for like 2 or 3 track days on that (2500 LB, 200hp) car.

If you're looking for a cheap pad that's kinda trackable....the Stoptech Sport (309) is a WAAAAY better choice than HP+. Cheaper. No corrosive dust. Easier on rotors. More linear bite.

mojo_jojo77777 04-22-2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by B serious (Post 24592974)
My ITR managed to smear them across the rotors, causing MASSIVE vibration.

If you're looking for a cheap pad that's kinda trackable....the Stoptech Sport (309) is a WAAAAY better choice than HP+.

Haha. Thats actually the pads I went with. I like the modulation more since they dont have such high initial bite. Havent gone up to more dedicated track pad since at time S2000 was track toy plus daily driving 110 miles for work daily so I wanted a decent dual duty pad. But now that I have a new daily, will be going to better pads in future once these wear down.

Say Chi Sin Lo 04-22-2019 02:02 PM

Thanks guys, I was under the impression that they are track pads... Thanks!

Thanks for the Stoptech Sport 309 recommendation!

roel03 04-24-2019 08:37 AM

Stoptech Sports are nowhere near a track pad. That's a terrible suggestion.

There is no pad that is good for both track and street. Get a dedicated track pad (Hawk DTC60/70, Raybestos ST47, etc.) and then OEM for the street. If you can use an aggressive street pad on track then you're not braking hard enough.

ZDan 04-24-2019 09:07 AM

Brake pads is going to ultimately be a personal decision based on driver preference and usage. It is entirely possible and even usual for different drivers running the same lap times in the same car to place very different demands on the brakes. Some drivers are hard on brakes and some are not. Also some drivers like very bitey/grabby pads and some like a more progressive response.

HP+ may not be a problem at the track. Or they may be... I had to run them on my stock S2000 a couple of times as I was too late in ordering replacement track pads, and I never had any problems with them and I did love the initial response from them. Quite "grabby", which some do not care for. Also the dust like mad and are noisy as hell on the street. Dust is quite difficult to clean up too.

But used pads? I dunno if I'd bother anyway... For sure I wouldn't bother if they don't have pad material on the order of 2x the backing plate thickness.

B serious 04-24-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by roel03 (Post 24593737)
Stoptech Sports are nowhere near a track pad. That's a terrible suggestion.

There is no pad that is good for both track and street. Get a dedicated track pad (Hawk DTC60/70, Raybestos ST47, etc.) and then OEM for the street. If you can use an aggressive street pad on track then you're not braking hard enough.

You've tried Stoptech Sports on a track (HPDE)?