S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

hks hipermax gt vs koni yellow/gc vs bilstein pss9

Old 11-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default hks hipermax gt vs koni yellow/gc vs bilstein pss9

Hey guys, i'm looking at coilovers because i'm not a fan of how the car handles stock and it needs more low. I'm not looking to slam my car by any means, I just want it 1-1.5 inches lower to eliminate the wheel gap but I want a suspension that will handle well and give a nice enough ride. My previous s2k had tein flex coilovers with 10k springs and I hated that the ride was either super stiff or super bouncy, but i LOVED the way it handled and they got rid of any hint of body roll. I may autox my car at some point but it likely wont see any track time, although one of the docs I shadow has been trying to get me to hit the track with him but I don't want to worry about prepping for the track so it probably wont happen. I pretty much have it narrowed down to 3 choices in the $1200 range. I can get a set of hks hipermax gt iv's would be brand new which would be nice, vs the other two i'd have to rebuild. The bilstein pss9's and koni's are blown and would have to be rebuilt but the bilsteins have 10k/9k swift springs and I would have them revalved to match the springs. With the koni yellow/ground control coilovers I have the option of eibach 9.5k/8k springs or swift 10k/9k springs with helper springs and I would have them revalved for the correct springs as well. I'd like to stay as cheap as possible since I still have school to pay for so money is a factor haha. So my question is: What would be the best suspension for a mostly street driven car while still meeting my ride/ handling goals?
Rough prices:
Pss9's: $250 for blown suspension plus $225/ shock for rebuild and revalve and then shipping costs= ~1200-1300
Koni's: $400 for blown suspension with eibach's or $500-700 with swifts plus $175/ shock for rebuild and revalve plus shipping costs= $1000-$1400
HKS's: $1200 brand new with 8k/7k springs

Thanks in advance for the imput guys!
Old 11-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like too much work honestly. My vote, save hundreds and get the PSS for $1000 shipped.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SamySnead
Sounds like too much work honestly. My vote, save hundreds and get the PSS for $1000 shipped.
Apples to oranges man, not even the same thing and he isn't revalving himself, he is paying to have it done. I didn't want to post because the OP is considering an option from me, I will try to remain as unbiased as possible to keep this whole topic useful.

The OP wants a track worthy setup that is compliant, he wants stiffer springs. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the PSS basically a non-adjustable PS9, both of which can't handle spring rates much over OEM. So the PSS is a non-adjustable version of what the OP is NOT looking for, they don't even belong in this discussion unless your talking a custom valved setup that he wants no ability to adjust.

IMO (unbiased), anything custom valved provided it is done properly and paired with the right springs is the way to go. I would eliminate the HKS, they are not even in the same league as properly done Yellows or PSS9s. As for the yellows vs the PSS9 a lot will have to do with how they are built. Each shock has its own positives and negatives and hopefully others will throw in some input with regards to that.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Adjusters on the PSS9 are worthless once you start going with custom valving. Reputable builders will tell you to just buy PSS if you're planning on getting them re-vavled for more aggressive track use. The will always be set on "fast" and will not be adjustable, unless you spend big bucks to get them custom fitted with external reservoir adjusters. Builders that tell you other wise likely aren't as good as they say they are.

FWIW. I'm on revalved PSS running 700/600 springs - awesome setup. The work I had done was significantly more than $1200. I bought the shocks blown and used.

I had them rebuilt/revalved, machined for 2.25" ID springs, got spherical bearing top hats, and hyperco springs. That ran me $2100 (for the services alone, cost of the blown shocks not included).

Builders/tuners are hit or miss. Just because it's custom doesn't mean it's any good. Do your research and see whether or not your tuner/ builder has the pedigree and results to back up all of the promises.

I'd say the HKS setup is going to be the best performing for track use out of the box as an off the shelf option (no clue for auto-x), but might be similar to your street experience with the Teins. Bilsteins have superior components and internals but are designed as a street shock. Bilsteins need to be revalved by a reputable builder (only ones I'd trust in my research are Fatcat motorsports or A.R.E.) for track/auto-x use.

I would say you've captured the budget market, and between these three options, you can't go wrong. If you don't want to risk it with re-valving, get the HKS setup. If you're willing to spend on revalving, get the Bilstein setup, but be prepared to spend more than your budget to get a quality setup. If neither of those sounds appealing, get the Koni setup.

Last edited by Bullwings; 11-05-2016 at 09:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NFR-S2k- (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 01:15 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Brand new PSS9's are $1500.

Brand new koni/gc is like $900-1k.

Buy them new if you want them.

I don't have any experience with the HKS. But I'd vote Bilstein over the Koni/GC if ride comfort is more concern.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Brand new PSS9's are $1500.

Brand new koni/gc is like $900-1k.

Buy them new if you want them.

I don't have any experience with the HKS. But I'd vote Bilstein over the Koni/GC if ride comfort is more concern.
Im Looking at buying used, blown struts because I'm going to have the revalved for the stiffer springs I'll be running and if I buy new that defeats the purpose.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Apples to oranges man, not even the same thing and he isn't revalving himself, he is paying to have it done. I didn't want to post because the OP is considering an option from me, I will try to remain as unbiased as possible to keep this whole topic useful.

The OP wants a track worthy setup that is compliant, he wants stiffer springs. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the PSS basically a non-adjustable PS9, both of which can't handle spring rates much over OEM. So the PSS is a non-adjustable version of what the OP is NOT looking for, they don't even belong in this discussion unless your talking a custom valved setup that he wants no ability to adjust.

IMO (unbiased), anything custom valved provided it is done properly and paired with the right springs is the way to go. I would eliminate the HKS, they are not even in the same league as properly done Yellows or PSS9s. As for the yellows vs the PSS9 a lot will have to do with how they are built. Each shock has its own positives and negatives and hopefully others will throw in some input with regards to that.
Thanks Brent, I'm having a really hard time beause all 3 are great options but it sounds like the bilsteins are going to be more than i'm looking to spend so its either yours or the HKS's. Now Truechoice needs to hurry up and call me back lol.

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Adjusters on the PSS9 are worthless once you start going with custom valving. Reputable builders will tell you to just buy PSS if you're planning on getting them re-vavled for more aggressive track use. The will always be set on "fast" and will not be adjustable, unless you spend big bucks to get them custom fitted with external reservoir adjusters. Builders that tell you other wise likely aren't as good as they say they are.

FWIW. I'm on revalved PSS running 700/600 springs - awesome setup. The work I had done was significantly more than $1200. I bought the shocks blown and used.

I had them rebuilt/revalved, machined for 2.25" ID springs, got spherical bearing top hats, and hyperco springs. That ran me $2100 (for the services alone, cost of the blown shocks not included).

Builders/tuners are hit or miss. Just because it's custom doesn't mean it's any good. Do your research and see whether or not your tuner/ builder has the pedigree and results to back up all of the promises.

I'd say the HKS setup is going to be the best performing for track use out of the box as an off the shelf option (no clue for auto-x), but might be similar to your street experience with the Teins. Bilsteins have superior components and internals but are designed as a street shock. Bilsteins need to be revalved by a reputable builder (only ones I'd trust in my research are Fatcat motorsports or A.R.E.) for track/auto-x use.

I would say you've captured the budget market, and between these three options, you can't go wrong. If you don't want to risk it with re-valving, get the HKS setup. If you're willing to spend on revalving, get the Bilstein setup, but be prepared to spend more than your budget to get a quality setup. If neither of those sounds appealing, get the Koni setup.
Thanks for your imput! How do your bilsteins ride/ handle?
I dont need the adjustability at all and honestly id prefer a revalved set of pss's but they arent available to me right now haha. I'm trying to keep it as close to $1000 as possible so that probably knocks the bilsteins out, although the ones i'm buying already have springs and top hats so I think I could get away with just a rebuild/ revalve and not all the extra stuff you did, since i'm sure you were looking for a quality track setup and i'll be using it mainly for the street. Fatcat were the ones that quoted me $225 for a revalve on the bilsteins and Truechoice's koni racing division is who I would have revalving the koni's so either way they're going to be revalved by a reputable company.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

TrueChoice is fairly reputable I am sure they will get back to you and do a good job. They quoted me $160-175 per shock depending on what they had to replace, so they won't know till they get the shocks. They are doing 10% off till the 1st of the year so be sure to mention that.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by NFR-S2k-
Thanks for your imput! How do your bilsteins ride/ handle?
I dont need the adjustability at all and honestly id prefer a revalved set of pss's but they arent available to me right now haha. I'm trying to keep it as close to $1000 as possible so that probably knocks the bilsteins out, although the ones i'm buying already have springs and top hats so I think I could get away with just a rebuild/ revalve and not all the extra stuff you did, since i'm sure you were looking for a quality track setup and i'll be using it mainly for the street. Fatcat were the ones that quoted me $225 for a revalve on the bilsteins and Truechoice's koni racing division is who I would have revalving the koni's so either way they're going to be revalved by a reputable company.
They're awesome. I've ridden in numerous S2Ks with Tein SRCs and Eibach R2s on the track, and by far, I prefer how these feel. The lack of adjustability was actually a plus for me. I wanted a "set it to fast and leave it there" setup and just drive and not worry about the settings. If i'm not going fast enough, it has nothing to do with the equipment. The setup probably has 90% of the performance of a Penske 8300 in 90% of the conditions encountered. However, one of the nice things about adjustability is that as the dampers and shims wear out, you can tune/adjust the shock to maintain similar performance characteristics/behavior as when they were brand new (assuming you know what you're doing with those knobs...)

Since you have access to two reputable builders, I'd throw the HKS out of the running and have the Bilsteins and Konis as your choices.

I'm biased and will recommend the Bilsteins over the Konis. It's an apples to oranges comparison and probably has very little in common with racing parts, but the Bilsteins have true racing heritage and are used very competitively at top level motorsports. The current and last Viper ACR is using Bilstein dampers. At this level, it probably doesn't matter and there's probably very little in common between the motorsports equipment and the PSS/PSS9.
That I know of, Konis are not used in top tier motorsports; however, for amateur use, they will get the job done and will do it well for performance use. However; there are limitations to what a Koni damper can do - don't expect to get both excellent street characteristics with excellent track handling - it's one or the other, not both. That's what really separates higher end dampers, capable of more digressive valving, from lower and middle level dampers - their valving can handle a broader range of springs and maintain a compliant street ride while still offering on track performance.

Good luck with the choice, you should be happy with either the Koni or Bilstein setup. They'll be a nice improvement over the OEM showa dampers (which are also quite good - wish they could be opened up and revalved).
Old 11-06-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So confused by this thread. First, you stated you want cheap and nice riding. And no intention on tracking the car. PSS fit the bill. Not sure why you're set on custom valving/springs just for street use..?

Quick Reply: hks hipermax gt vs koni yellow/gc vs bilstein pss9