S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

HKS Hipermax iv GT coilovers

Old 06-13-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another bump for reviews of the GT
Old 06-23-2015, 10:53 AM

I might just go for the GT's soon just so I can test at autocross and then review them
Old 09-04-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed mine today! Initial impressions with a quick spirited drive right after the install...
I was under the impression that it would be more of a drop right out of the box, it still seems close to stock height for me?
I'm not counting on them to settle a whole lot more than where they're at, did lots of hard stops and cornering and bounced the car...
and that's where I'm really loving these.

Right out of the box, the ride feels OEM with GREATLY reduced body roll and much, much more direct feel to all of my inputs!!!

I'll drive around for another day or two before getting back under there to adjust for lower ride height but the feel is great!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 PM

So i've had mines on the car for about 2 weeks now. I noticed that the stock drop HKS setup was a bit too high for my liking so I lowered it to about a finger gap all around. I noticed that the rears were significantly lower than the fronts out of the box, so i didnt have to touch the adjusters there.

when its set to 15 clicks(the median) I feel that its very comparable, at least in terms of ride quality, to my MY00's stock suspension. The suspension handles the small imperfections in the road much better, but that could be due to the fact that they are new. My stock suspension was original to the car and was in need of an upgrade. I did feel a reduction in body roll, and I also feel like the car is more planted when going back on the power through a turn. Before it was a little mushy, probably because of the old suspension. I havent been able to get out to a AutoX event yet, so i havent been pushing the car all that much.

For daily driving I'd probably decrease the stiffness if anything.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the suspension. They came with everything you'll need for the installation, and went in without any problems. I really like how the left rear shock has a little extension for adjusting the stiffness from behind the carpet. I was able to install 3 of the corners in 30 min. Adjusting the coilovers is a bit of a pain, but the same argument could be made for any height adjustable setup.

I'll try to remember to report back after the next Auto X event i can attend in October.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:38 AM

So I took the plunge and bought these coils. Install was a breeze but they were a little tight getting the bottoms on with the spacers that Hks provided. Took me about 30 min with air and a lift.

Name:  85b3a991fbc695e10cff59d7c7d8759f_zps1oxxu6ft.jpg
Views: 5779
Size:  622.8 KB

The Compression Damping settings were NOT in the middle (15 from full stiff) when they arrived so double check yours. Mine were all over the place at 17 on one, 14 on another 18 on another...I just set them all on the middle setting.

Also, I lowered mine about 1/2" on all four corners.

Here is how it sat after the springs settled

Name:  25bdf1b78e05ec5d9f381381d6d44a7a_zps2vlsnshs.jpg
Views: 4572
Size:  548.3 KB
Old 10-29-2015, 05:53 AM

I have an Eibach front sway on soft setting, stock rear bar, 225/255 RE71R's and damping set right in the middle and the ride is not really that harsh except for on really crappy roads. Here in Michigan we have probably the worst oreads in the country. On sharp/fast bumps it is a little jarring but not bad at all for an aftermarket coilover. It's lost a little bit of compliance but it feels so much more planted.

I recently did an autocross with them and really liked the results. The car felt very different and it will take me some time to re-learn but there is so much less body roll.

Here's a pic of a mid 2nd gear 90deg turn on stock suspension plus the FSB

Name:  3e0067be9d375b9d55496dd24255c2ef_zpshxjpcb7w.jpg
Views: 4718
Size:  474.2 KB

And here's a pic of a high 2nd gear 90deg turn with the coils and FSB

Name:  5ce69056d06c6b616063117bb31c76ba_zpsfezlgoh2.jpg
Views: 4652
Size:  605.7 KB

I did notice that the car was a little more tail happy than before but it could have just been because it was 57 degrees outside haha. I won't have a chance to use them on the track until spring but I'll update after I go.

Since I'm not a veteran racer or super savvy in that area, and have only driven them on the street and one cold weather autocross, I can't really give them a performance review... But initial impressions are that they are going to be just fine for mixed street, autox and track use. I'll update in the spring.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:07 AM

I recently got a set last week and would like to lower the rear more but the shop told
Me its at the lowest settings they can go. Still have about a 2 finger gap can you go any lower on the back or is that at the max
Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan
I recently got a set last week and would like to lower the rear more but the shop told
Me its at the lowest settings they can go. Still have about a 2 finger gap can you go any lower on the back or is that at the max
Mine still has a good 1.5" to 2" of drop left on the threads I barely have 2 finger gap on mine. It'll go lower for sure

Name:  25bdf1b78e05ec5d9f381381d6d44a7a_zps2vlsnshs.jpg
Views: 4727
Size:  548.3 KB
Old 12-14-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ham8urger
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan' timestamp='1446127626' post='23789282
Mine still has a good 1.5" to 2" of drop left on the threads I barely have 2 finger gap on mine. It'll go lower for sure

Where did you buy from and how much did you pay?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:28 AM

Those look like helper springs. I'm curious to hear someone's (specifically HKS rep) opinion on why a shock with separate height and spring preload settings requires helper springs. Although the thickness of the coils look like they might actually contribute significantly to the overall spring rate. I've not seen helper springs that thick before, or tender springs (if they are tender springs) with flat coils.

Originally Posted by Ham8urger
So I took the plunge and bought these coils. Install was a breeze but they were a little tight getting the bottoms on with the spacers that Hks provided. Took me about 30 min with air and a lift.

The Compression Damping settings were NOT in the middle (15 from full stiff) when they arrived so double check yours. Mine were all over the place at 17 on one, 14 on another 18 on another...I just set them all on the middle setting.

Also, I lowered mine about 1/2" on all four corners.

Here is how it sat after the springs settled

Quick Reply: HKS Hipermax iv GT coilovers