S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Honed Brake Air Guides

Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the picture/description!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You do not want to cut the dust shield and direct air, possibly dirty, at the inside rotor face directly.

You want the air to go into the center of the rotor and pumped out of the straight vanes.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
You do not want to cut the dust shield and direct air, possibly dirty, at the inside rotor face directly.

You want the air to go into the center of the rotor and pumped out of the straight vanes.
OK good tip. As it stands it's directing air towards the three holes in the shield. I'll leave it at as is and next track day run the duct on one side and not on the other check temps and report back.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I wish I had seen these before I did the more traditional flexible hose ducting. That said, one thing I've learned about the rears is that if you have an off, depending on the bumpiness and level of grass, you may find the inlet to the rears gets scraped. For the rears I'm using shop vac heads (as described elsewhere on s2ki.com) and it sticks down about 2" below the floor of the car. I attached it to the plastic fairing in front of the rear wheels using 2 nylon zip ties and it turns out that was a good thing because they have torn loose a few times after an off. If it was more securely mounted, the impact might have damaged something that was not as easy to repair. Hopefully this is making some sense; if not, I could take a few pictures to clear it up.

So you might want to be thinking about how to enable a chosen "weak link" to fail first so it's easier to fix.

One other thing; I have the ducts fitted to flanges mounted to the backing plates. In the rear, occasionally a small rock will be picked up by the duct inlet and since the hose is more or less straight, it will lodge itself between the backing plate and rotor making obnoxious noises. Usually backing up for a few feet dislodges it. The fronts never have this issue because the hoses have more bends including a vertical section which I suppose blocks the rocks from passing. I think these air guides would likely not have this problem. And if you remove the backing plate, then of course the problem can't happen - which is what I am probably going to do eventually.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Thought I would post back some findings after a two day track even this past weekend at Gingerman. I'll point out that I do not consider this a highly scientific, perfectly accurate, conclusive test but certainly a data point for those interested. As a reference I'm running stock brake system all around with G-Loc R10/8 and Urge rear rotors. I intsalled the brake duct on the drivers side only without removing the dust sheild and took some temperature readings with an IR temp gun pointed at the center, discolored, cooling fin part of the rotor after lapping.

After my first session which had a full cool down lap and travel back to my parking spot I measured a 50 degree difference with the left side being cooler approximately 500/550 left to right. Not dramatic but decent I thought. I then tried to get a couple more readings throughout the two days without as much cooling time before the reading and these ended up in the 600-700 degree range and the difference between the two sides was at most 30 degrees. As I did more temperature readings I noticed that a slight movement of the IR gun could have a big effect on the observed temperature so always tried to find the highest temperature on each side, guessing this is what explained the 50 degree delta on the first measurement.

I did leave my dust shields during this testing and maybe it explains the lack of results or perhaps I installed them wrong. In fairness Honed did suggest that removing dust shields would have an improved result. I originally planned to remove the shield in between sessions but quickly lost my motivation as it was hot and humid and it was easier to just leave them on and talk cars with others. I know, lazy. I have another track event in a month and will either cut a hole or remove the dust shield beforehand in the comfort of my garage and report back.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Very interesting, have actually been looking at doing something similar. Do you know if anyone in the USA makes these? How long did it take to get this shipped from Australia?
Old 08-21-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Very interesting, have actually been looking at doing something similar. Do you know if anyone in the USA makes these? How long did it take to get this shipped from Australia?
Not sure about US manufacturers. I would not be surprised if there is, the scoop is generic looking while the brackets were specific to the S2000. Tried looking up the tracking number to see shipping records but the history is gone. It was quicker then I expected if I recall but put the order in late December when the car was in storage so wasn't exactly checking my mailbox looking for them every day.
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (08-21-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Don't set it too low if you track!

Here's mine after laguna seca when I had it angled lower to direct air to middle of rotor. I've since raised it to flat.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I forgot to post up my DIY low-buck control arm mounted brake cooling tubes:
Project S2000: Part 24 - Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs and DIY Brake Ducts

I used an angle grinder, drill/bits, blade, and a couple hours of time to make the DIY version of my plastic ones.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Pics of those mounted up? Are the plastic ones the good version? I actually like the plastic better IMO

Last edited by bgoetz; 09-09-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Honed Brake Air Guides