S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Horrible sound from pss9

Old 08-27-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible sound from pss9

i baught a used 04 with 150k. The suspension was pretty much shot. So all at once I installed innovative trans and diff mounts, megan toe arms, new ball joints in the rear, and bilsten pss9 coilovers. I’m getting a horrible rattle sound when I hit any kind of bump. It sounds like it’s coming from the coilovers. I’m wondering If I installed them wrong? Any help would be nice!

Video:
Old 08-27-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Did you properly install your tophats?

Perhaps you missed a washer somewhere.

The trick with noises is to first figure out what is making noise. And then fix it.
I've found this technique to be effective.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah something isn't right but then again you threw a lot of new parts at the car many of which increase vibration or more more noise than the OEM parts. Pretty sure the ball joints are noisier than the OEM bushings. The trans and diff mounts are going in increase the vibration thoughout the car. Put the car up on jackstands and see if you can rattle anything with your hand. I am wondering if one of the coilovers didn't get preloaded correctly and is rattling around.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:57 AM

This weekend I loosened and tightened the control arm/strut bolt, to make sure it was tightened under load. The bilsten coilovers don’t come with install instructions and the assembly pictures suck... I’m wondering if the KYB upper strut mounts have anything to do with the problem? The fronts are fine and don’t make any noise tho.

I might buy oem rear diff mounts and try them. The ones I currently have where completely torn thru.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Tophat mounts aren't really a wear item. So if yours were torn thru...there's likely some issue you need to address.

Assemble the tophats per the factory instructions, if the Bilstein instructions suck. BUT...make sure you reference the Ikea style bilstein papers.

The OEM bushings are steel-backed rubber. Not sure how KYB makes them.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:41 PM

I think I might buy new oem top hat bushings.... the ones kyb sent me seem squished and deflecting. I snapped a pic.

Has as anyone ever used buddy club top hats on pps9’s? I have an old set sitting since I swapped them out.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

A bit left field, but have you properly tightened the bolt holding the spare wheel?
Old 10-03-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I think you may be on to something there. Maybe its not the coilovers themselves, but rather something that was touched during the install, that didn't get properly tightened on reassembly.

Something near enough to the coilovers that the noise could be mistaken for them.

Spare fits that description perfectly. But even if thats not it, your basic premise may still be on target. Might be something else that wasn't put back right making noise.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The piston shouldnt be moving up and down like that. Makes me think something on the top hat of the coilover isnt installed correctly. Looks like a ton of deflection being picked up by the top rubber bushing. If thats normal, it sucks becuase that means part of your suspension movment is just rubber movement rather the 100% isolated piston damping quality force. My first thought beyond that was wondering if the spring is rattling around becuase its coming off the perch on rebound, in other words no preload with suspension at full droop.

In fact looking at the vid again I'm almost certain the noise is coming from right under the shock mount, slapping up under it every time you see the rubber pogo of a piston moving up and down which is picking up the slack that shouldnt be there. So either its the spring coming off the seat or what ever is suposed to be resting underneath that mounting surface, there is a gap. Wouldnt be suprised if that rubber bushing is now compromised from all that stretching. The two mounting bolts are secure and not moving so it seperate from that.

You might just need to titen those two bolts you see resting on top of the rubber bushing, but i cant say for total certain on that becuase I dont have an exploded view of the diagram how that coilover is put together in a stack. I would get the rear of the car up in the air, disconnect the rear sway if you have to and move that suspension up and down by hand and see if you can mimic. Look for slop in the up and down motion. If you arent strong enough by hand use a jack under the lower control arm to assist up and down movement.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-03-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:55 PM

95% sure the top hat bushing are the issue. I ordered OEM bushings and after getting my hands on them they are 200% better than the bushing that you order with the KYB top hats. If anyone else does this, throw those bushings away and get OEM. I did have to widen the OEM bushings to fit on the PSS9 strut.