S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

How about $20 rotors?

Old 10-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I'm surprised too. They're HH edge coded pads too! So the compound makes massive torque.

I've heard they're roughly equivalent to Carbotech XP10.

For the price, I would DD them even if they got used up quick on the street like track pads often do. I do not DD my Carbotech (XP12/10) combo because they're a bit pricey to waste.
They are indeed roughly equivalent to XP10. I've been too lazy to swap pads since I don't drive far usually. They work ok at lower temps, and I've done probably around 3000 street miles and 6 track days. Fronts are just about done. Have another set ready to go in.
The following users liked this post:
freq (10-09-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Autozone duralast - awesome warranty or splurge for the Bosch from autozone.

Wow XP10ish pads for $150 all around someone quick try them.

Rotors are one thing I'm NOT going to buy at Amazon the warranty won't be as simple as walking in and walking out
Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Autozone duralast - awesome warranty or splurge for the Bosch from autozone.

Rotors are one thing I'm NOT going to buy at Amazon the warranty won't be as simple as walking in and walking out
But...he wants to use this setup on a track. Those pads are awful. You're sentencing yourself to a lifetime of consumer pads. Sounds worse than jail, bruv.

If you walk in to warranty a cracked rotor that's heat scored every few months...they're going to eventually just refund you your original purchase instead of warrantying any more rotors for you.

Besides that....for $20, I'd just buy gangs of rotors. Crack. Throw away. Replace from my own inventory. Go on living my life.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

They're fine. I would not hesitate to use them on track. People (including me) have had luck with Centric blank rotors. I'm sure these will work fine too. They're just rotors.

Rockauto has them cheaper/around the same price (including shipping, if you use the 5% off coupon code), IIRC.
Agree. I know lots of people in heavier cars that run Napa blanks for track days. Cost less when you chew through them with track use. Centrics are good rotors, are affordable, etc.

As mentioned as well, Stoptech pads are very good dual use pads, but for track use will not be as good if you are pushing them. But for autox and daily I have them on a few cars. They also are owned by Centric.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:14 AM

But...he wants to use this setup on a track. Those pads are awful. You're sentencing yourself to a lifetime of consumer pads. Sounds worse than jail, bruv.

If you walk in to warranty a cracked rotor that's heat scored every few months...they're going to eventually just refund you your original purchase instead of warrantying any more rotors for you.

Besides that....for $20, I'd just buy gangs of rotors. Crack. Throw away. Replace from my own inventory. Go on living my life.
+1 on that. If your rotors are visibly heat damaged, eventually a wise person (although less likely at Autozone based upon the ones I have ever been in) will say NOPE! to the Warranty. They are not warrantied against track use. No part is. And anyone with much knowledge can easily tell if you ruined the rotors due to tracking them.

I have never in my life had to warranty a set of rotors. Track\race use does not qualify for warranty and I am not into lying and cheating to get free parts. And that warranty is useless if the rotor cracks and your $300 track day turns into 5 laps They wont pay you back for the rest of that day.

I also do everything I can to never walk into an Autozone. They pride in giving advice to people that is utter BS, sell absolute junk, etc. My father has run his own shop for my whole life, and if a customer is determined to use Autozone parts he tells them right up front he will not warranty any labor for replacing them when they fail :P
Old 10-06-2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
+1 on that. If your rotors are visibly heat damaged, eventually a wise person (although less likely at Autozone based upon the ones I have ever been in) will say NOPE! to the Warranty. They are not warrantied against track use. No part is. And anyone with much knowledge can easily tell if you ruined the rotors due to tracking them.

I have never in my life had to warranty a set of rotors. Track\race use does not qualify for warranty and I am not into lying and cheating to get free parts. And that warranty is useless if the rotor cracks and your $300 track day turns into 5 laps They wont pay you back for the rest of that day.

I also do everything I can to never walk into an Autozone. They pride in giving advice to people that is utter BS, sell absolute junk, etc. My father has run his own shop for my whole life, and if a customer is determined to use Autozone parts he tells them right up front he will not warranty any labor for replacing them when they fail :P
I've had friends crack a stoptech aero rotor at a track day, and also a stock cayman and stock gtr rotor. Granted it's infrequent and rare but it's a death sentence for a unique or specialized setup.

As far as the duralast rotor, I had tried an extensive list of rotors including oem, sos reverse j hook, project mU, Honda, centric, Bosch, powerslot (also centric), brembo -- they all CAN crack and it's just a matter of time. Obviously the centric was the biggest pos and the Mu lasted the longest, but like a fancy 2 piece you are SOL on warranty.

As far as the autozone duralast, knock on wood haven't had an issue thus far, in fact a few store managers encouraged it. The rotors were completely blued and the rotor crack was through the entire side.

As far as changing out a stocker, should take a competent and motivated individual ~ 15 minutes with an impact and a digital torque wrench - I have my rotor specific items partitioned from the rest of my tools into a quick reaction roll up kit.

The key to avoiding rotor cracking is proper cool down of the rotor and don't let the pad sit on a section of a hot rotor for extended periods of time after a hot track run. And do not do some shade tree diy stock brake heat shield ducted brake cooling. If you are going to do it, do it right and duct fresh cool air into the center of the rotor veins.

Last edited by gptoyz; 10-06-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:31 AM

You are SOL on warranty if you crack any rotor and are honest about how it cracked. That is my point. Call me a prude, but I will not buy a part, take it to the track and break it and then go back in and ask for warranty coverage because it broke under "normal use". If I break a part racing, it is written off as gone. I cant in good conscience hold the mfgr responsible, who clearly does not warranty against misuse. Even if I get away with it I know the truth, and that is enough for me. Now, if you are going in and saying "hey I was at the track beating these till they glowed and one cracked" and they say "sure we will replace that" then I guess rock on. But I have never seen a company warranty something in that case.

Race parts are not warrantied against failure due to racing, let alone street parts :P

The quick reaction tool kit is a good idea by the way. I have learned to organize my tool back into smaller tool bags (wax coated canvasse zip up bags) so at autox events I can quickly get to what I need if something needs worked on. Doesnt sound like much until you are under the gun and need to repair before the next run!
Old 10-06-2017, 06:54 AM

I'm also too honest/proud/employed to go back to AutoZone to warranty a rotor that I destroyed at a track.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:41 AM

I'm also too honest/proud/employed to go back to AutoZone to warranty a rotor that I destroyed at a track.
They've asked me you were pushing it huh. Because they see my account they see S2000. And I've told them yeap I was on it.

I'm sure if any of you bought a new porsche with factory warranty, you'd try and get warranty work done if anything happened on the track i.e. Engine blew up but you didn't over rev or the transmission crapped out but you didn't miss a shift. Obviously you can't blame them if you left it in sport mode and ran into a wall; short of crashing, I'm sure any of us would have gone through a service advisor - so please don't give me the holier than thou speech.

Nobody in their right mind would buy anything that's not covered under some sort of warranty or guarantee (brand new).

And, I wasn't racing. Racing means a sanctioned body, where everyone is competing. Track days aren't racing, they should be driver education. And those that treat track days as racing are the reason why people destroy their cars.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by gptoyz
They've asked me you were pushing it huh. Because they see my account they see S2000. And I've told them yeap I was on it.

I'm sure if any of you bought a new porsche with factory warranty, you'd try and get warranty work done if anything happened on the track i.e. Engine blew up but you didn't over rev or the transmission crapped out but you didn't miss a shift. Obviously you can't blame them if you left it in sport mode and ran into a wall; short of crashing, I'm sure any of us would have gone through a service advisor - so please don't give me the holier than thou speech.

Nobody in their right mind would buy anything that's not covered under some sort of warranty or guarantee (brand new).

And, I wasn't racing. Racing means a sanctioned body, where everyone is competing. Track days aren't racing, they should be driver education. And those that treat track days as racing are the reason why people destroy their cars.
My post didn't say anything about a Porsche.

Rotor. Say it with me.

Yes. Nobody in their right mind spends $20 on a rotor without a warranty. There's $20 at stake. That's like...$20.

The rotors OP listed do have a warranty. Unfortunately, you can't walk into a store to claim it.

Anyway...whatever. Autozone sells lifetime warranty rotors. Buy them if you want to bother with the warranty.

Quick Reply: How about $20 rotors?