S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

How about $20 rotors?

Old 10-06-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Well, many performance tires have no warranty at all. No guarantee of treadlife. Yet apparently sane people buy them all the time.

I buy things all the time that have no warranty (though many would argue that doesn't prove the sane person theory).
Old 10-07-2017, 04:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Warranty on a $20 rotor, you guys are nuts.

I stay away from Auto-Zone etc at all costs.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Warranty on a $20 rotor, you guys are nuts.

I stay away from Auto-Zone etc at all costs.
Guy(s)? I was being sarcastic lol.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by B serious
Guy(s)? I was being sarcastic lol.
You were, others aren't (weren't).
Old 10-09-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
They've asked me you were pushing it huh. Because they see my account they see S2000. And I've told them yeap I was on it.

I'm sure if any of you bought a new porsche with factory warranty, you'd try and get warranty work done if anything happened on the track i.e. Engine blew up but you didn't over rev or the transmission crapped out but you didn't miss a shift. Obviously you can't blame them if you left it in sport mode and ran into a wall; short of crashing, I'm sure any of us would have gone through a service advisor - so please don't give me the holier than thou speech.

Nobody in their right mind would buy anything that's not covered under some sort of warranty or guarantee (brand new).

And, I wasn't racing. Racing means a sanctioned body, where everyone is competing. Track days aren't racing, they should be driver education. And those that treat track days as racing are the reason why people destroy their cars.
I have broken lots of stuff I could have gotten warranty for if I tried hard enough, and did not. It is not hollier than thou, it is simply not being shady. You dont seem to understand that even race parts are NOT warrantied against damage caused by abuse. Those warranties are for manufacturing defects.

I have never tried to get damage fixed under insurance from something that is not covered in the policy, I have never gotten warranty repairs on something I damaged by use outside the terms of the warranty. See, I have had a business where I covered any failure of the work. And you have to price things accordingly because you know you will have defects. You pay for the estimated scrap/failure rate every time you buy something and that extra cost covers what they feel they will have to use to cover warranty claims. So the more bogus claims made, the more we all, including you, pay for said products down the road. Not unlike insurance. You are helping to pay for every shady or bogus insurance claim. So if people were to damage items I worked on by their own doing, and then come to me for warranty coverage, that lowers my yield and I raise prices eventually so I still make profit. Luckilly I never had anyone do that to me that I know of, but parts companies do.

It is also just being a solid person, You can call it "holier than thou" if you like, but I know a $20 rotor is not made for track abuse. If I crack it beating it to death on a track, I am not going to ask them to replace it. First, it is BS, second, it causes higher prices for everyone, third, if I need to go slip something past someone to replace a $20 rotor maybe I should not be spending my money going to the track

And most people in their right mind understand that most all warranties are limited to some degree I think you have yourself fooled in how much warranty the products you buy really have :P
Old 10-09-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
You are SOL on warranty if you crack any rotor and are honest about how it cracked. That is my point. Call me a prude, but I will not buy a part, take it to the track and break it and then go back in and ask for warranty coverage because it broke under "normal use". If I break a part racing, it is written off as gone. I cant in good conscience hold the mfgr responsible, who clearly does not warranty against misuse. Even if I get away with it I know the truth, and that is enough for me. Now, if you are going in and saying "hey I was at the track beating these till they glowed and one cracked" and they say "sure we will replace that" then I guess rock on. But I have never seen a company warranty something in that case.

Race parts are not warrantied against failure due to racing, let alone street parts :P

The quick reaction tool kit is a good idea by the way. I have learned to organize my tool back into smaller tool bags (wax coated canvasse zip up bags) so at autox events I can quickly get to what I need if something needs worked on. Doesnt sound like much until you are under the gun and need to repair before the next run!
I'm with you there, if I feel something is dishonest, I don't do it no matter how harmless it is.

Originally Posted by gptoyz
They've asked me you were pushing it huh. Because they see my account they see S2000. And I've told them yeap I was on it.

I'm sure if any of you bought a new porsche with factory warranty, you'd try and get warranty work done if anything happened on the track i.e. Engine blew up but you didn't over rev or the transmission crapped out but you didn't miss a shift. Obviously you can't blame them if you left it in sport mode and ran into a wall; short of crashing, I'm sure any of us would have gone through a service advisor - so please don't give me the holier than thou speech.

Nobody in their right mind would buy anything that's not covered under some sort of warranty or guarantee (brand new).

And, I wasn't racing. Racing means a sanctioned body, where everyone is competing. Track days aren't racing, they should be driver education. And those that treat track days as racing are the reason why people destroy their cars.
If Porsche's GT cars don't have a track warranty, they suck. Chevy has it on several of their vehicles.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by B serious
Alternatively, Powerstop makes a trackday pad that's massively inexpensive. I think THMotorsports has them for like $150ish per set (all 4 wheels).
There's a $10 rebate available on Rock Auto for these too. I'm gonna try a set to finish out the season.

With shipping and minus the rebate, they'll be just $63 for a set of fronts.

You could do a whole car for $105 with rebates available.

I'm paying around $73 shipped for a set of PowerStop front pads.

EDIT: This rebate is only for the PowerStop Kits.

Last edited by freq; 10-11-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

I am down to my last set of Carbotechs. I bought boxes and boxes for "garage inventory". Once these last remaining XP12/10's are killed off, I may either give the Powerstops a shot...or may buy a BBK for MASSIVE convenience.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ran Centric Blanks on my Evo that was making mid 400s AWHP on track and never had a problem... i only do like maybe 1 hot lap (2 hot laps if i feel i'm confident i can shave time) every session at the track.

Hot laps were performed after doing 2-3 laps of moderate pace.

Track: Buttonwillow.

Last edited by X13A; 10-11-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: included more info
Old 10-11-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i ordered some super cheap rotors once. They were <10 each plus shipping. THey cracked on track within 2 sessions. Would they be fine for DD yes, go for it. For track lowest i would go would be Centrics/Autozone/Napa/Etc for 25-40 a pop. Those typically last me a weekendish

Quick Reply: How about $20 rotors?