S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

How many yrs do brake pads last? 14 yrs?

Old 09-19-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many yrs do brake pads last? 14 yrs?

Greetings S2ki forumers. I recently bought a 2002 AP1 with 22,000 miles now on the odometer. In great condition, garage kept, and was owned by an older couple. I installed a new set of tires and have been replacing all its fluids.

To the question: How long do pads last in years if mileage stays low? I think the brakes may still be original 14 yrs old? At best maybe they could have been replaced once say 7 yrs ago. The pads probably have 50-70% of pad left.

The pads seem to feel fine, but perhaps new ones would feel even better. I do mostly spirited street driving on windy roads which will include several hard braking sessions. I am also planning to take it to the track for first time in October ( my 5th track day in life w/past track days being in a Scion FRS), but it will just be 3-5 casual 15-20 min sessions, not time trials or racing. I will probably only 2-3 days per year.
1) I was considering just leaving the stock pads in for this track day as perhaps they have enough life left for one track day and then replace them after this. Just being resourceful. 2) However I am also considering installing some new Project EMU 800 pads now.

Back to original basic question, do brake pads age in 14 yrs to lose their sporty feeling and effectiveness if they have only been driven casually and have a lot of pad depth left?

Thanks for any advice or comments!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Pads don't go bad from age like tires do. But you will want a good high temp brake fluid for your track day. You will surely burnish those pads into the rotors during your lapping day at some point if your pushing the car, and as a result they may likely feel a bit more initial bite for a wile after the fact. Probably a good thing if the car hasn't been driven much. If you feel up to it after your brake fluid change, you should go out somewhere safe and do multiple consecutive hard brake checks from 60-70mph down to 5mph engaging the abs hard. Do this 4-5 times in a row until you feel the brake pedal start to get soft. This will burnish in your pads to the rotors before track day. Just make sure you get plenty of drive time before you park the car after this, letting the rotors cool off, or they can warp. Do not use the E-brake either, just put the car in gear. Using the E-brake will clamp the rear pads and cause that area to cool off slower, also resulting in warped rotors- Especially important at the track.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still on the original brake pads and rotors on my ap1 with 62,000'ish miles even with some autocrossing events. Still have some life left I think too, as they haven't been squeaking. The brake pads on my ap2 that I believe have been changed out already have less wear left in front (ap2 was tracked though).

And the brakes on my early year ap1 bit especially hard (previous owner ran super blue ate), so the answer as Junky said is definitely no--they don't seem to go bad just with age.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03( bought new) is my DD and I got 81k from the OE pads.

When I upgraded to slot rotors & SS lines,I changed the pads to Hawk HPS.

works great.

\rlr
carolina
Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

There are very few absolutes. But one absolute is that the stock pads will absolutely not work on a race track and you'll waste your day fighting fade and end up driving home with pulsating rotors.

I'd grab a new set of blank rotors and performance or track pads. As well as a liter or two of good, high temperature fluid to do a flush.

Rockauto has great pricing on Centric blanks and Stoptech Sport (street performance) brake pads. These are the only pads that I have found to get close to being a pad you can use on track and street. If you find yourself outgrowing them...its time for at least a dedicated track pad that you swap on before an event.

Before anyone chimes in with "HP+ is a dual duty pad", think about what you're saying. Then don't say it. Because you're wrong.

To answer your original question, pads don't really have a lifespan in time.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I have similar situation. My 02 had 8500 miles when I bought in this summer. The brakes and rotors are original OEM and they are great. So much so that for someone not driving on track at all you have to question the need for anything other than OEM in the brakes department.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by B serious
Before anyone chimes in with "HP+ is a dual duty pad", think about what you're saying. Then don't say it. Because you're wrong.
HP+ exceeded my expectations on the track for how well they performed for a "dual purpose" pad and exceeded my expectations on the street for how gawd awful the noises were and the black lung disease I'm sure I will develop in the future from inhaling the sheer volume of dust these things emit. I looked like id been mining for coal after a fun afternoon drive
Old 09-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1474315175' post='24065191

HP+ exceeded my expectations on the track for how well they performed for a "dual purpose" pad and exceeded my expectations on the street for how gawd awful the noises were and the black lung disease I'm sure I will develop in the future from inhaling the sheer volume of dust these things emit. I looked like id been mining for coal after a fun afternoon drive
lol yes. If you want rust-orange wheels (doesn't matter what colour they are at the moment), and own stock in rotors...then the HP+ works great on the street.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses!! Good to know that the original stock pads are probably perfectly capable still on the streets as pads don't age much in "years". I did already order some Ate Type 200 DOT4 fluid and planning to flush the brakes/clutch soon. After thinking about it more based on your response, I will most likely order a set of new pads (was considering the PMU HC 800's) and hoping to be ok using them on stock rotors. I may also replace the brake lines soon too, just because of the age and to be on the safe side. Again, at least for now, not planning to track every month, just 2-4 times a year, and for now just planning to get some practice driving within the limits of the equipment I have.. assuming it can survive reasonably well. I am using Bridgestone Re-71r summer tires on stock rims (was actually fine staying on the smaller stock wheels/tire sizes for now as bigger wheels/tires increases the wear and demand on the brakes/suspension/drivetrain and whole system.. but I'm sure I will eventually want to upgrade to larger wheels/tires ).
Old 09-19-2016, 08:42 PM
Community Organizer

If your planning on replacing the brake lines, dont bother with the rubber oem ones, get the better Stainless steel braided lines which are more reliable and will offer a bit better pedal when hot. Its cheap $100 insurance for all 4. Several companies make them. I run the science of speed ones.

Quick Reply: How many yrs do brake pads last? 14 yrs?