S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

JDM Brake Pad Advice?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol thanks man! it is not a rob.ok mobile ive parted it out several times and thats whats left of it. i cant afford the hobby right now hence coming up on the cheapo pads. your car is always awesome, the last time i talked to you you had a disaster with your motor. got everything worked out?

p.s. opps i didnt mean to thread jack, feel free to PM me instead.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob.ok,Feb 6 2010, 05:55 PM
Isn't OEM JDM enough? Brake pads are consumable items just like tires or oil and should be treated as such. Use that extra hundred buck that you'd save by NOT buying some ridiculously expensive JDM brake pads (that are not any better than OEM for your application), and put it towards, buying another rare JDM part that will wow people (like maybe a J's BBK which equals mad point yo!).

If you had a J's BBK do you really think anyone would care what JDM pad your running then? No! I can tell you from experience, they only care about the calipers and rotors. Why would it be any different when using the OEM calipers?

-Rob
Because I'm not talking about your friends in the local parking lot at Thursday night meets, I'm talking about show judges. You get points for each item, not points for being "mad hella JDM cool yo". There is a points system, much like in most types of racing series.

So are you saying that for auto-x, OEM brake pads are the best choice? I have experienced brake fade with the stock pads before, so there has to be something better in a street-worthy pad, unless all aftermarket "street" or "street/track" pads are completely worthless marketing tools.

I've seen your old build, so I know you used to have a J's BBK, but there is most assuredly a middle ground between that and OEM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can deal with a little brake dust, i really liked the hawk hp plus out of the ones i have tried the most.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zbrewha863,Feb 7 2010, 12:42 AM
Because I'm not talking about your friends in the local parking lot at Thursday night meets, I'm talking about show judges. You get points for each item, not points for being "mad hella JDM cool yo". There is a points system, much like in most types of racing series.

So are you saying that for auto-x, OEM brake pads are the best choice? I have experienced brake fade with the stock pads before, so there has to be something better in a street-worthy pad, unless all aftermarket "street" or "street/track" pads are completely worthless marketing tools.

I've seen your old build, so I know you used to have a J's BBK, but there is most assuredly a middle ground between that and OEM.
Sorry man....I guess I cam off pretty arrogant there, not sure what I was thinking (Although I was really drunk ha ha!). No hard feelings and don't take it the wrong way.

To answer your question....no....not exactly, but for what you specified I think its the best choice. From my experience, I have never once not been able to engage ABS with the OEM pads during an autocross run, and that's with 255 R-Comps.

There are better choices out there, but a lot of that depends primarily on tire selection and how dedicated you and your car is to autocross (you already said HP+ was too much of a bother).

Anyways, your free to try out anything you want. For a consumable item I thinks its crazy to spend that much however, Project Mu and Endless make good products. From my experience they all dust more than the OEM pads and as far as the street pads are concerned there isn't any performance advantage over the OEM pads. Maybe Endless SS-M is perfect though...less dust and noise for a dual purpose pad (not sure if I believe it though).

You could also try Seido-Ya. Their products are by far the hardest to get. I've even tried to order direct and they totally shot me down
http://www.seido-ya.com/

-Rob
Old 02-07-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob.ok,Feb 7 2010, 02:27 AM
Sorry man....I guess I cam off pretty arrogant there, not sure what I was thinking (Although I was really drunk ha ha!). No hard feelings and don't take it the wrong way.

To answer your question....no....not exactly, but for what you specified I think its the best choice. From my experience, I have never once not been able to engage ABS with the OEM pads during an autocross run, and that's with 255 R-Comps.

There are better choices out there, but a lot of that depends primarily on tire selection and how dedicated you and your car is to autocross (you already said HP+ was too much of a bother).

Anyways, your free to try out anything you want. For a consumable item I thinks its crazy to spend that much however, Project Mu and Endless make good products. From my experience they all dust more than the OEM pads and as far as the street pads are concerned there isn't any performance advantage over the OEM pads. Maybe Endless SS-M is perfect though...less dust and noise for a dual purpose pad (not sure if I believe it though).

You could also try Seido-Ya. Their products are by far the hardest to get. I've even tried to order direct and they totally shot me down
http://www.seido-ya.com/

-Rob
No hard feelings, I was drinking myself that evening and probably came off arrogant as well.

Evasive Motorsports in the States carries Seido-Ya SM400 pads for the S2000 (http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/ev...a_S2000_Brakes) -- I was curious about them, but have not heard anything about their pads outside of their use in the J's BBK.

OEM pads seem to be the best choice at the moment, thanks for the advice to all of you!