S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Karcepts Sway Bar Install

Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has been very helpful so far! So I haven't installed the solid front or rear karcepts bars that were delivered on Friday yet, but I did prep my car for it. I flipped my front shocks...turned 180 degrees on the same side. S2k Suzuka made this excellent discovery, and I reached out to him with questions but received no response...so I was kinda on my own in the unknown. Since I had to remove the UCAs to flip the shocks, I wanted to do this ASAP because I have an alignment appointment coming up. So I turned the shocks 180 degrees and used the brake line brackets to anchor the zip tie and the brake line low on the shock. I verified that there's no interference at any steering angle and through the entire suspension travel arc with the tire on. So it looks like I'm just about ready for the alignment and I will be installing these bars at my leisure. If anyone has questions, feel free to reach out.

On on a side note, I found this guy hiding on my front driver spring...been hanging on for 15 years and 88,063 miles.

Last edited by Mig233; 03-14-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:14 AM

Not so great UPDATE!...turning the struts 180 degrees ALMOST works. I am getting some rubbing on the strut spring perch itself at FULL right lock on the driver's side. It only happens at complete lock, during K turn or U turn maneuvers. Oddly, I don't think I'm rubbing on the passenger side. I'm not sure if this is something that will get corrected with a proper alignment, or if I should run a tiny wheel spacer. Otherwise, I will have to take the shock back out and then rotate the top hat some degrees until it clears...but that's guesswork. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have a solution.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:26 AM

I have received no feedback to my above post. So I tackled the problem solo.

Another UPDATE...Turning the shocks 180 degrees DID NOT cause my interference. A couple weekends ago, I removed and replaced the shock back into it's original orientation. IT STILL RUBS ON THE SPRING PERCH. Which leads me to believe that the shock rotation did not cause my interference. In fact, if I had rotated the top hats, I would be playing a guessing game on which EXACT position the shock was originally oriented. So by flipping the shock 180 degrees, INSTEAD of swapping sides and rotating the top hats, I was able to eliminate some variables to my problem.

This is actually good news, because here is my theory: I started getting interference issues after I rotated the shocks. But I also made another change that day...REMOVING THE SPRING SPACER ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE! My theory is that the car was aligned with the spring spacer stuck in the coilover, and an alignment will resolve this issue. I believe this because I do not get interference on the passenger side, I only get it on the driver side. And the spring spacer was only installed on the driver's side. I'm hoping that an alignment solves this issue. If not a small wheel spacer will definitely resolve. I will follow up with a result after my alignment.