S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Koni/GC to Ohlins DFV review

Old 11-24-2016, 09:18 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious

I wish the Öhlins came with deeper or better designed lower mounts so you could get travel without massive height gain. I don't want my car looking like the Grave Digger truck just to get travel from the shock.

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 11-24-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

*From what I understand*, the actual DFV only works on ultra high speed movements. You shouldn't feel it working during normal driving.

Its just a tertiary flow path. Shims handle low/medium speed. Piston blowoff handles high speed. DFV handles ultra high speed simultaneously.

The DFV isn't active all the time. Otherwise, you'd have no damping. Its an ultra high speed blowoff to keep the tire on the road over track curbing or landing a jump, or very sharp/high bumps that the piston cannot handle by itself.

The DFV bleeds the pressure that the piston cannot handle. The piston and shims are bleeding/controlling flow at the same time. When ultra high speed movement slows down enough, the DFV closes.

It would take an abnormally large impact to activate the DFV. Its purpose is to handle *abnormally* high speeds.

The DFV should not normally work during driving. I don't even know if it shows up on most dyno graph speeds. Evidence of this is that setting the clicker overly stiff will result in a non-compliant ride and the car will skip over bumps if you over do it. The DFV has nothing to do with that.

LMK if I'm understanding the concept incorrectly.
Yes, its all about shaft speed. Which is a combination of how abrupt the impact is and the vehicle speed. How often the DFV is activated is anyone's guess. From my experience I have had plenty of digressive monotubes (sachs, bilstein, etc.) The Ohlins feel different than any of those when it comes to high high speed impacts.

My guess is it was designed to help with the impacts on any rough freeway. I would say it does more off the track then on.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish the Öhlins came with deeper or better designed lower mounts so you could get travel without massive height gain. I don't want my car looking like the Grave Digger truck just to get travel from the shock.
Re-engineering the lower mount would not be a big deal. Ultimately that would not increase the shock travel, which to me is the limiting factor and ultimate design flaw of this shock. Like you described in your post, there is only so much you can do with the limited travel. You can't even really cut the bump stop because its so short as shipped. For me I dont need my car that low, I run about 13 1/4 hub to fender. At 6mm of preload, I still have plenty of lower bracket adjustment to shorten the shock.

Probably the 2nd best solution with these shocks, is to bump the preload to 10mm or more and sacrifice some droop travel. Getting some more impact comp travel would take the bumpstop out of play on more obstacles.

The best solution is probably to go to a 10k spring and back the reload down to 6-8mm or so. In my experience when it comes to overuse of the bumpstop, going with stiffer springs can actually make the car ride better.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:06 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Redesigning the lower mount to accept more threading allows you to add preload without adding height. I met up with an Öhlins distributor/acquaintance at a track day...and he had mentioned how they set up their Öhlins by modifying the mounts. He said it was easy and to ring him up when I wanted to adjust them.

We'll see. I will disagree that my car is "riding on bumpstops" at static height due to Öhlins' factory settings. Its not. But it certainly over-uses them during street use and its really annoying.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can the Ohlins extend to run at or near stock ride height?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by billios996
Can the Ohlins extend to run at or near stock ride height?

ehhhhhhh probably. Add a bunch of preload. Extend the bottom bracket without over-doing it.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
We are rolling out a line of FPSpec DFV accessories tailored to the s2000 community. We just announced the first product, a billet lower mount for the rear designed to allow the correct amount of preload while still allowing an aggressive ride height. Supplies are extremely limited for the first production run so if you are interested let us know ASAP!

Öhlins DFV Billet Lower Mount - Fix Your Ride Height Issues!

Name:  CD25B1B2-4FF1-420F-8078-BB53408F1C8D_zpsrvvnjixe.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  214.8 KB