S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

KW clubsports for S2k

Old 03-23-2016, 07:27 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

WHAT?!! man.....idk....
Old 03-27-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wan't to like the DFV's, but they rely on the rear bump stops too much IMHO, and are pretty much a rebound-adjustable shock. Maybe with 750/650 springs, 30mm of preload and a 13.25" ride height, and maybe a cut bump stop, they'd be perfect. Or one could just get KW Clubsports and slap on 750/650 60mm 6" hyperco's.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Why spend that much when the Ohlins are $2300?
Where you get the ohlins for 2300 everybody sell them for 2425
Old 09-15-2016, 04:00 AM

Öhlins controls the pricing. $24xx is normal.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by leo777
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1458564612' post='23914747
Ping either Urge or Gruppe-S. For the record, I sold my KW Clubs for Ohlins. Why? Because Ohlins is the best in the business, and for the money, you can afford custom rate springs and still have enough to get some track pads. 2 way adjustability, imo, is overrated. I am a set and forget kinda guy.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've driven KW clubsports and ohlin DFV (no special custom valving) just out of the box, the DFV has a slightly better ride on the street, but when I wrung them both out on the track the KW clubsport yielded better lap times for me over the DFV, buts that's me and there are many factors there, but nonetheless it was a clear winner in terms of all out grip and response.

I do like how lightweight the DFV's are though with their aluminum bodies...wish the KW's were that light! I think to be competitive on the track with the clubsports, the DFVs need more aggressive valving and spring rates than comes out of the box like Urge has an option for. Or just step up to Penske's, JRZ's, or their own TTX line.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by leo777' timestamp='1473936078' post='24062508
[quote name='RedCelica' timestamp='1458564612' post='23914747']
Ping either Urge or Gruppe-S. For the record, I sold my KW Clubs for Ohlins. Why? Because Ohlins is the best in the business, and for the money, you can afford custom rate springs and still have enough to get some track pads. 2 way adjustability, imo, is overrated. I am a set and forget kinda guy.
[/quote]

I think you feel that double adjustables are overrated because you replaced your true DA's with Öhlins...which are single-double adjustable. If you had switched to true single adjustables, you'd see the advantages in tuning that a DA offers.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
I've driven KW clubsports and ohlin DFV (no special custom valving) just out of the box, the DFV has a slightly better ride on the street, but when I wrung them both out on the track the KW clubsport yielded better lap times for me over the DFV, but's that me and there are many factors there, but nonetheless it was a clear winner in terms of all out grip and response.

I do like how lightweight the DFV's are though with their aluminum bodies...wish the KW's were that light! I think to be competitive on the track with the clubsports, the DFVs need more aggressive valving and spring rates than comes out of the box like Urge has an option for. Or just step up to Penske's, JRZ's, or their own TTX line.

This is a pretty fair assessment.

The Öhlins are easier to tune, and are a little more comfy (road and track). The CS leans more toward trackability and tuneability.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
I've driven KW clubsports and ohlin DFV (no special custom valving) just out of the box, the DFV has a slightly better ride on the street, but when I wrung them both out on the track the KW clubsport yielded better lap times for me over the DFV, buts that's me and there are many factors there, but nonetheless it was a clear winner in terms of all out grip and response.

How much tuning did you do between the two? I know on 12 clicks the DFVs were soft and there was a lot of understeer. Moving to a stiffer 5/6 setting yielded neutral results and a lot firmer ride.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

A lot of this depends on the rest of the setup, the track/road being used, and the driving style. Out-of-the box DFVs have 10kg/mm and 8kg/mm springs. I thought the KW Clubsports are 10kg/mm all around. Anti-roll bars, bushings, wheels and tires, power level, and aero all add to the setup configuration. Many (most?) track day and STR autocross cars run significantly stiffer setups. Race teams use a 7-post shaker (videos from Red Bull F1, Stewart-Haas NASCAR, and General Automotive) to determine the shock calibrations for each track.

I'm not a fan of any twin-tube (the Ohlins TTX is called 'twin-tube' but isn't in the same sense) but the KWs would be a big setup ahead of the Koni's and Tein twin-tubes.

On the budget side there is also the HKS and Fortune Auto monotubes and the possibility of revalved Bilstein PSS shocks. There is also an double adjustable monotube Eiback available with 16kg/mm springs, canisters, and canister brackets from Evasive (it is no longer a general product from Eibach).

In the case of most of these kits, remember that the S2k valving and spring rates were picked when the S2k was a current model and the packages were first introduced. For example, Ohlins has an entirely different way of packaging the springs with their newer DFV packages.

Quick Reply: KW clubsports for S2k