S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

KW Rebuild

Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default KW Rebuild

I had my KW Clubsports off the car this weekend to mess with some of the new springs I added and noticed that one of my front shocks had a small amount of fluid near the top seal. This has me concerned that they are either on their way out or something else is up with them. I'd had them on and off the car a few times and taken apart a few times and never noticed the fluid before but I also wasn't checking.

I think part of my problem might be the fact that when I first got them and wanted to move the springs the top nut was so tight that I couldn't get it off using a regular wrench. I didn't have an impact handy so I made the poor decision of using a pair of vice grips with a towel over the shaft so it wasn't metal on metal. Unfortunately one or two of them did get a little scratched/gouged. Nothing really bad but I'm wondering if that gouge is messing up the seal or letting a small amount of fluid out every time it goes into the shock and back up. Other than that first time I've never used that method and always been able to get them tight enough that no vice grips are necessary but I think the damage has already been done.

I was also wondering if I couldn't possibly try and sand down the shaft a bit and then repolish it? Can the gouge be filled and sanded smooth or will the whole shaft likely need to be replaced?

If they are in fact blown are there shops other than KW that can rebuild? I've heard KW can often take a long time and while my car isn't my daily I still don't want it to be down for more than a few weeks. I'm not the original owner of these shocks either and it's not something I'd think they'd cover under warranty anyways. The new springs on them are also 750lb front/650lb rear. The rears are easily still within the capability of the factory valving but the fronts are probably pushing the edge. If I was to have them rebuild I wouldn't mind finding a place that would rebuild them to handle a 650-850lb range spring.

Any good options? I'll ship anywhere but if I can find something on the east side of the Mississippi that'd be best.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

http://performanceshock.com/service-...s-and-rebuilds

These guys are respected and make custom valvings for S2000s. I've gone for a ride in their Ohlins TTX setup and it is incredible. I plan to have my Bilsteins valved there eventually.