S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Lowering Springs at the Track/Auto-X

Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs at the Track/Auto-X

I'm sure you've heard this question many times. I've tried searching but the search function is a bit difficult to use here. The official springs thread covers all the spring rates and DD driving impressions but not much about the track.

Can anyone comment whether or not handling of your car at the limit improved/degraded with just using lowering springs + stock shocks at the track/auto-x? How was your experience? Better off stock, or was there an improvement in your lap times?

I'm contemplating getting a set of Swift springs (progressive rears) but I'm unsure to put on my DD AP2 that I plan to track once a month. I fully intend to first track the car bone stock for a bit, then go from there. I'm well aware that a full coilover or CR setup would be loads better and I intend to get a set once I start tracking the car more often. I just want something as a bridge between now and then that'll give me the stance I want without compromising the balance of the car on-track.

From what I hear the Swifts lower the car the least of the bunch, which should preserve most of the stock shock travel, and not low enough to necessitate bumpsteer kits and roll center adjusters. I figure the Swifts are probably the best balance of a mild drop without having to do more suspension work to preserve the balance of the car. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should ask this in racing and competition, but then, I would not ask because you won't like the answer.

The short answer is, race the car stock. Lowering springs, are just that, not actual track/autox use.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Yeah, I'm well aware of the general rule - that is, coilovers or stock at the track. I'm just holding out hope that there's a diamond in the rough among the aftermarket spring choices that can, at the least, maintain stock performance on the track.