S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Mugen Type S Pads or Spoon Pads - Need Advice

Old 11-28-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Best pricing I've seen on 309's is either Thmotorsports or rockauto.

The PMU are semi-metallic pads. They're inherently hard on rotors just like any other semi-metallic. Most track oriented pads will chew up rotors AND also wear out faster themselves during street use.

Again...there is no such thing as a "street/track" pad. It doesn't exist. What DOES exist is clever marketing phrases like "A TRUE STREETABLE TRACK PAD" or "SATISFYING LIGHT BEER".

The 309's get somewhat close to being a "track/street" pad...but they fall VERY short when used for track. You'll be compromising quite a bit on that end as compared to a real track pad. They're prone to some crumbling when pushed past their temp (they're organic) and they're not entirely stable for track temps when using the stock braking system. I sure AF wouldn't use them on anything faster than a stock S2000 on 300TW on a track.

On the street, they feel like factory pads in terms of bite. But they're very gentle on rotors and the dust washes off super easy.

The PMU is geared more toward track use, but you'll be giving up rotor life and the dust will potentially stain everything you hold close.

Either one WILL need a proper bedding procedure before you can use them without fear of death.
"309's fall VERY short when used for track" = YIKES! But I don't wanna kid myself. I have yet to go to any track with my ~15HP more than stock and ~35kg lighter than stock 240 TW S2000...? It may be my only track day come January next year for another 6 months or so. I don't think I wanna hit said track with my EBC fronts on about 20 percent life left... especially after what you said. Perhaps the 309 set will hold up for my first run and as you said are quite streetable. Who knows if I'll even get up to 1400 F the first time...
I'd like a little more bite than factory on street,,, or would I. Will the 309's inspire more confidence on the street than factory?

Which rotors will resist the PMu or similar semi-metallic pads?

What bedding procedure did you follow?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Powerstop Track Day PST pads IMO. They're been the best ones I've tried for the money.

PST = less aggressive compound
PSA = More aggressive compound

I've used both for track days and both have great street manors as well. They both dust quite a bit though....gotta have a trade off somewhere. My front PST's are still going after ~10 track days last year w/ front brake ducts. Had to replace the rears after the whole season though.
Thanks man. I'll take a look at those.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:52 AM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
"309's fall VERY short when used for track" = YIKES! But I don't wanna kid myself. I have yet to go to any track with my ~15HP more than stock and ~35kg lighter than stock 240 TW S2000...? It may be my only track day come January next year for another 6 months or so. I don't think I wanna hit said track with my EBC fronts on about 20 percent life left... especially after what you said. Perhaps the 309 set will hold up for my first run and as you said are quite streetable. Who knows if I'll even get up to 1400 F the first time...
I'd like a little more bite than factory on street,,, or would I. Will the 309's inspire more confidence on the street than factory?

Which rotors will resist the PMu or similar semi-metallic pads?

What bedding procedure did you follow?

Thanks.

309's are cheap. So yes, give them a shot before moving on. They feel like stock pads at street temps. The bite is (+/-) the same as stock. They come alive when they heat up a bit.

Rotors are rotors. Maybe a high carbon rotor would resist abrasion? But the cost outweighs any benefit.

Just buy heaps of cheap rotors. I certainly do. There's no real benefit in spending $$ on rotors, if you're tracking this car. Centric makes a reliable, cheap rotor. Its not like the PMU will wear them out every day or something. They will just wear significantly faster than normal.

Bedding procedures are on/in the box, usually. Should just be successive aggressive stops followed by 15-20mins of cooling.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:33 AM

309's are cheap. So yes, give them a shot before moving on. They feel like stock pads at street temps. The bite is (+/-) the same as stock. They come alive when they heat up a bit.

Rotors are rotors. Maybe a high carbon rotor would resist abrasion? But the cost outweighs any benefit.

Just buy heaps of cheap rotors. I certainly do. There's no real benefit in spending $$ on rotors, if you're tracking this car. Centric makes a reliable, cheap rotor. Its not like the PMU will wear them out every day or something. They will just wear significantly faster than normal.

Bedding procedures are on/in the box, usually. Should just be successive aggressive stops followed by 15-20mins of cooling.
Most efficacious

Worth running those 309's then. Glad to hear that they really come alive after getting some heat into them. Did you say that they're quiet in terms of minimal to no squeal?

Centric rotors, got it. I see EBC also sells rotors locally and they offer slotted variants so I could give those a go. Apparently not that expensive. As for PMu, well I suppose there's only one way to know how rough they are on the rotors

So the usual procedures then. Looking forward to this!
Old 12-01-2018, 12:10 AM

I ordered Stoptech 309 for the front now off of eBay. Looking forward to getting them, running them and then telling you what I think. $63 for the front.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:46 AM

Right on. Grab a set of rotors to m8 them to, m8. They work best on a fresh surface.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 PM

Right on. Grab a set of rotors to m8 them to, m8. They work best on a fresh surface.
Budget is tight... still gotta order Spoon magnetic bolts and radiator cap (because I really want those) and need to change oil. I'm changing my oil between 3-6000 miles now. Motul 8100 5W40 and I need the original PCX oil filter too.

I'll just wash the rotors with carb cleaner after removing the EBC's. Should be fine?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 PM

For rotors I may just want to upgrade to slotted ones next year sometime. Just for the front then leave the rear stock.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 AM

Sand off the existing pad layer. The pads need a fresh surface to bed into. Otherwise, they won't work quite as well as intended.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd say the PMU HC800 are up your alley. It's what I switched to from the OEM ap2 pad. It has more initial bite, dusts more and works in cool temps.

I would just slap on your new pads and burnish them in as is; no need for any resurfacing.

Quick Reply: Mugen Type S Pads or Spoon Pads - Need Advice