S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   Need coilover suggestions (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/need-coilover-suggestions-990200/)

LouMan 11-14-2012 01:18 PM

Need coilover suggestions

I am in the market for some new coilovers to lower my car a bit, as I refuse to use springs. My main objective is to lower my car while not compromising my handling, and maybe even improve it a little. Seeing as I am more interested in the cosmetic side of things I am not really looking to break the bank.

From what I've read on the site the Buddy Club N+ seem to be a great option for the price. As I do more research, though, I am finding that there are many other brands within my price range (no more than $1600 new), but can't really conclude any major differences. I don't track my car at all, so this would be for daily driving purposes only. I don't want anything to stiff, but still not too soft (I drive aggressively lol). Are there really any major differences?

What are your experiences with coilovers in this range, and what do you think would be my best option for my scenario?

Rubn1out4GudLuk 11-14-2012 02:54 PM

Bilstein Pss9/10! Enjoy :hello:

Carbon Blue 11-14-2012 03:24 PM

Its either Bilsteins or KW's you cant go wrong with either.

LouMan 11-14-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue (Post 22151817)
Its either Bilsteins or KW's you cant go wrong with either.

Which KWs are in my price range?

Carbon Blue 11-14-2012 05:19 PM

the kw v2 seems to suit you just fine and will fit your budget . THe bilsteins I would go with the pss over the pss9 and save that extra 400$, the pss9s are still a great choice though. If you decide you want more of a performance upgrade bilstein USA charges only 65$/shock for a revalve, if you want stiffer springs swift has the correct sizes. In case you do not know Swift makes excellent springs for the s2k (sport mach and specRs), they were made to work the stock shocks and offer a mild drop ( about 1.25inches). I use the bilstein pss setup, you can find them extremely cheap nowadays (850-900$ shipped) and are easily upgradeable by many shops. THe kw's on the other hand will only need to be serviced by KW themselves. Trust me, the stock suspension is very good in the s2, you do NOT want to throw on some coilovers that are "32 way" adjustable that are made in thailand, you want a quality shock from a quality brand that knows what they are doing.

Jmai 11-14-2012 10:11 PM

I just installed the PSS9 this morning! Very firm and its so smooth at the same time. I got it used for 600, a little less then 20k on the coilovers. Just to give you an idea of my suspension age. I do recommend it! I rode drove my friends buddyclub N+ in his AP1, it was pretty low. My impression is that it is too bouncy, very stiff to the point where it just throws you up in the air over a bump so I feel as if it is suited for smooth race track. Would not recommend for daily driving, esp when it is slammed.

Just re read your post, you are looking to lower it for cosmetics reasons mainly. Well to give you some more insight, on the PSS9, I have no gap in the front, and no gap in the rear. It is still very comfortable over imperfect surfaces, and does not toss you around over big bumps. And the way I drive, if see any onramp or exit, heel toe all day long :tipwink: . Very happy with the performance.

Jmai 11-14-2012 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue (Post 22151970)
the kw v2 seems to suit you just fine and will fit your budget . THe bilsteins I would go with the pss over the pss9 and save that extra 400$, the pss9s are still a great choice though. If you decide you want more of a performance upgrade bilstein USA charges only 65$/shock for a revalve, if you want stiffer springs swift has the correct sizes. In case you do not know Swift makes excellent springs for the s2k (sport mach and specRs), they were made to work the stock shocks and offer a mild drop ( about 1.25inches). I use the bilstein pss setup, you can find them extremely cheap nowadays (850-900$ shipped) and are easily upgradeable by many shops. THe kw's on the other hand will only need to be serviced by KW themselves. Trust me, the stock suspension is very good in the s2, you do NOT want to throw on some coilovers that are "32 way" adjustable that are made in thailand, you want a quality shock from a quality brand that knows what they are doing.

I started with the Stock shocks mated with Swift Spec R, good ride, firm and progressive. I can't say anything negative about that besides my shocks rebound were not able to settle the car quick enough. When my PSS9 were installed this morning, we measured my ride height with the Swift's. They were DEAD on even around all four corners! Really quality springs!

LouMan 11-15-2012 07:05 AM

Thanks everyone for all of your input! I guess I'm gonna get the PSS9's

LouMan 11-15-2012 08:19 AM

So I just went on my local Craigslist to see if there were any S2000 parts, more specifically some coilovers. I found a guy with Tein Flex Dampers, and he's willing to let them go for $600. They have 9k miles on them and they seem to be in very good condition (he sent pics). Should I go for it? This seems like a good deal as these coils sell for 1300 on Ebay.

Carbon Blue 11-15-2012 06:20 PM

Its up to you man, tein is a reputable company, they're monoflex and SRC dampers are all great stuff, the lower end line Im not so sure about.