S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Need help with brake feel

Old 09-29-2018, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with brake feel

Hey guys my car is a MY07 with 49K miles currently. I am on stock calipers, rotors and pads all around. The only mod I have to my brakes is a master cylinder brace. The brake fluid were bled properly at a Honda dealership that I used to work at.

I'm sort of frustrated with how my brake firmness is suppose to feel. The best example I can give is that my mom's 2003 Toyota Matrix and my friend's 08 Mazda 3 brakes feel more firm and solid than my S2K. It makes me question that I read somewhere that people say the stock S brakes are amazing but from what I can tell with my S, the darn Matrix with rear drums and a regular Mazda 3 sedan stops faster and bites harder.

I have never driven any other S so I don't even know what or how the brakes is suppose to feel like. All I do know is that my brake system has no issue. I do get power assist. I need some help guys, I'm not sure what else it can be at this point. I do however plan on replacing the front pads with stoptech sport ones and new blank rotors and also replacing the front calipers along with SS lines. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Last edited by xDoodles; 09-29-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:13 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Your brakes may just need maintenance. Someone may just need to properly lube all the sliding parts.

A lot of cars also have artificially firm pedal feel. Older Hondas have a more "natural" feeling pedal.

For more bite, you need pads that offer better cold bite. I would suggest Stoptech STREET instead of Sport if you're looking for cold bite.

The Sport is a higher temp pad. They need a fair amount of pressure from the pedal and/or heat to get them biting.

The Street (or most other semi-metallic) will have better reaction under lower temps/load...but will fade out at temps that you likely won't see on the street.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:25 PM

You might be right but I have driven 2 97 Integras and 01 GSR and I have owned a 00 civic ex model with rear disc conversion and they all feel better on the brake compared to my S so that's why I feel like there is something wrong with my brake system. I only mentioned the stoptech sports because I tried them on my daily driver and it performs pretty good.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds like you could use new pads / rotors and to change the brake fluid
Old 09-29-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Maintenance, bruv.

Pad slides and caliper slides being stuck are what causes a big majority of brake feel issues.

Pad slides are overlooked more than caliper slides.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Have a civic MC2 <same brakes as dc2 Type R> brakes are very good with ebc yellow,had yellow on the s2000 also.<now Ferodo Ds2500>
A Huge servo on the Mc2,just rest your foot on the pedal and it stops at 130/140..
Now S2000 is a different beast requiring progressive feed back and is so designed as thus,being a sports car with 49/51 distribution, the brake bias is good.
Have gone oem Honda discs on fronts recently , Honda discs are better than a drilled discs & i think oem have a better stoppage ,
Honda are of a superior quality + maybe Honda are a treated disc.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Maintenance, bruv.

Pad slides and caliper slides being stuck are what causes a big majority of brake feel issues.

Pad slides are overlooked more than caliper slides.
All above being apparent
Old 09-29-2018, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the inputs guys and I see what you mean noodels. I'll be checking out my slides pretty soon once I get my new pads and rotors along with new fluid.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:31 AM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Brake booster recall done?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If anything, a defective brake booster would give him a firmer pedal feel.

Definitely check the sliding pins. Even on stock rotors and pads (assuming they're not toast), the pedal should feel firm. It shouldn't feel artificially boosted like a modern Honda Accord.

Quick Reply: Need help with brake feel