S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Need new shocks, OEM CR or Koni Yellows or ?

Old 07-19-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need new shocks, OEM CR or Koni Yellows or ?

I noticed my front shocks have started to leak with about 70k mile on them. I want to get something that will improve the handling of the car without sacrificing street comfort. I also am not willing to spend $2k on a nice set of coilovers. I do the occasional autocross also and my 9" wheels all around put me in STR but my car is a real handful (very tail happy), even though it drives beautifully on twisty roads. My car has Swift Spec R springs on it and I like the ride quality and height with them. I wouldn't mind having the ability to adjust my ride height a little more though, but I can't go much lower before it gets impractical. The choices I've seen so far are the CR stock shocks and Koni Yellows. I also noticed the Fortune Auto 500 coilovers (that's my absolute spending limit). I'm a little hesitant about using coilovers though because I don't want to waste time and money having to rebuild them every few years. Any opinions on these choices? Is there another option I'm looking past?

Also for thread economy, I need new rear brake pads. I'm leaning towards OEM and the price is pretty decent on them. Are there any other good options for spirited driving and the occasional autocross? I want something that won't eat my rotors up too much and don't make ridiculous amounts of dust.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, except I had koni yellows for a bit, right now I'm on oem AP1 with eibach sport springs. I want to upgrade, except I'm not a professional racer, I don't need anything crazy. I'm looking to pick up a set of oem cr shocks and swift spec r springs basically for the fact that it's simple. I don't have to mess with setting the ride height, stiffness, or anything like that. I liked my koni yellows, I had GC coilover sleeves, but getting the ride height and stiffness figured out so it wasn't a total pain in the ass dd'ing was, well, a pain in the ass. And then I hit a pothole and blew out the bottom mount bracket on one of the shocks. That's when I decided that I want to go with the cr/swift springs. As for pads, you're probably going to get a lot of different opinions, I'm running hawk hps pads, I have no complaints about them. They've been a very decent brake pad for me.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are entirely happy with your swift springs then I'd say just look into the cr shocks. They will be closest to stock while being just a hair stiffer. If you feel like you need more adjustability for autocross than go for the coils.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember I originally was looking to get some CR shocks as well to go with the Swift Spec-R's. However, I realized that the Koni yellows were substantially cheaper. Not to mention that they are adjustable (rebound only) should you desire that. I have my koni yellows set to 1 full turn from full soft in front, and 3/4 turn from full soft in the rear. I can't see myself fiddling around with the settings because it rides just right right now. I say go for the koni yellows unless you come up on an awesome deal on the CR shocks.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can pick up a set of nice AP2 shocks for incredibly cheap ($150-$200). CR shocks are a little stiffer, but carry the "CR" tax and will probably run you $350. Konis have some height adjustability and will run you $500-$600.

Personally I think a set of used CR shocks - if you can find them - would best suit you. Also look into EBC red pads for the back.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

My first suspension modification on my 06 S2000 was 08 struts with Eibach's pro kit lowering springs. I have been to the dragon and done some autocrossing really enjoying that set up. I began to notice the the front liners having rubbing issues with 225 and 255 star specs. Decided to go another route and found 4 TRM C3 17x9 rims and tires. Installed a new set of Koni yellow with CR springs. Taking a couple of week to firgure the right suspension setting with the Koni's and the all square set up. With some help from a friend we came up the 1/4 of a turn from full stiff in the front and a 1/4 of a turn from full soft in the rear. Now the car is almost a neutral handling car. With the CR spring I don't have to worry about having a lowered car around town. Hope this answers any questions. Later BD
Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
You can pick up a set of nice AP2 shocks for incredibly cheap ($150-$200). CR shocks are a little stiffer, but carry the "CR" tax and will probably run you $350. Konis have some height adjustability and will run you $500-$600.

Personally I think a set of used CR shocks - if you can find them - would best suit you. Also look into EBC red pads for the back.
I don't really want to get a set of used shocks. Also the prices for new CR shocks are exactly the same as new regular OEM shocks.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freetors
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1405863954' post='23251379

I don't really want to get a set of used shocks. Also the prices for new CR shocks are exactly the same as new regular OEM shocks.
Fair enough then. If you're buying new, I can't think of any reason to get non-CR shocks with aftermarket springs. CR shocks + swift springs on a very mild drop (<1") is a great setup. There is a running thread in the CR forum about this very setup and people are very happy with them.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im in the same boat. I just ordered Swift spec R springs and koni yellow. I wouldn't mind going with spec r and cr shocks.

I have 80k on the current stock suspension and having gone over board with the suspension on my previous S (kwv3) which I didn't put to use(no track/autox) I felt that I would take it easy in that dept this go around and go with a spring/strut combo.

My stock suspension has about 80k and I would have paired the shock with the spec r but, the mileage is a bit to high. Thus, I was deciding between yellows and cr shocks. In the end I purchased the koni but, I would have preferred the CR shocks.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by freetors
. The choices I've seen so far are the CR stock shocks and Koni Yellows.
This is my set-up. Lots of track time and it works nicely.

Quick Reply: Need new shocks, OEM CR or Koni Yellows or ?