New Front Swaybar Option: 33mm Solid Nolathane - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Brakes and Suspension
Reload this Page >

New Front Swaybar Option: 33mm Solid Nolathane

Notices
S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.

New Front Swaybar Option: 33mm Solid Nolathane

Old 08-26-2018, 01:05 PM

Exclamation New Front Swaybar Option: 33mm Solid Nolathane

I recently picked up an AP2, and set it up for STR-class autocross. This entailed 255/40-17 tires all around, but like most people in class, I was struggling to find a front sway bar option that was stiff enough without costing $1000. I began with a $60 ebay 30mm hollow bar, and as predicted, that wasn't nearly enough; the car was basically uncontrollable through a slalom. Looking through e-bay, I happened upon an auction for a bar I had never heard of, from Nolathane. They are an Australia-based polyurethane bushing company, and there was no info about the bar on the internet. The auction said the bar was 33mm, but didn't mention if it was solid or hollow. The seller didn't answer e-mails.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nolathane-R...72.m2749.l2649

I noticed the username was "redranger-the-home-of-whiteline-and-nolathane", and a quick google search got me to their homepage. https://www.redrangerusa.com/ I called them up and asked about the bar, they told me it was 33mm solid and was in stock. This is slightly thicker than the ill-fated Moddiction/Saner front bar, for which there was recently a group buy and lots of delays, missing parts, etc. It is listed as $400 and is currently out-of-stock. The Nolathane bar was $230 shipped.

Here it is next to the 30mm hollow POS from eBay.

These are the included bushings. They are hard poly and fit the stock brackets. One weird thing was that the bar does not have lock collars to keep it from sliding side-to-side. The bushing have a lip on one side to push against the bar, we'll see if that is enough. I may build some ghetto lock collars out of a hose clamp and coolant hose.

I installed the bar this afternoon. It was kinda tough to get in because it is very heavy and the saddle brackets are tight; it was tough to get the bolts started. Fit was great, though as you can see above, the arms that go to the endlinks are on a weird angle. It should be fine once the suspension compresses at ride height. I have not had a chance to drive it yet, but it HAS to be better than the cheapie 30mm. It may not be a Karcepts bar, but it should help.

I don't see any more auctions up right now, but you could probably call Red Ranger to get one. It is P/N REV003.0066. They also make a 30mm solid rear bar, but I am sticking with my stocker for better balance.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:52 AM

You can get 2 piece shaft collars from a company like Fastenal for pretty cheap to keep the bar from shifting side to side. It would be best to measure your bar with a caliper to get the exact outside diameter. 1 5/16" should work (assuming the bar is actually 33mm & accounting for a slight increase due to powdercoat thickness). Ace Hardware may even have them. I know they have small ones, but I never looked to see how large they went to.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:00 AM

Post pictures of the "weird angle" for the end links. Is it a weird angle in the sense of stressing the endlink, or weird like very close to the lower shock body? Oem shocks or aftermarket? I ask because the Saner has clearance issues on certain shocks. I could not use the full stiff setting years ago when I had Tein Monoflex coilovers (even at mid setting the bolt would occasionally hit the lower shock cup). Full stiff clears on my KW Clubsports (had 1 or 2 touches over the span of a few years).
Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 AM

I have not actually driven the car yet, but I will try to get a photo. You can see it in the picture that has the 2 bars side-by-side. The angle may be less severe at ride height, but a full droop, the endlink didn't have a straight shot into the bar, it was kind of angled up into the engine bay.

Thank you for the heads up on collars, I will look into it. The bar was 33.4mm on my digital calipers.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1 View Post
You can get 2 piece shaft collars from a company like Fastenal for pretty cheap to keep the bar from shifting side to side. It would be best to measure your bar with a caliper to get the exact outside diameter. 1 5/16" should work (assuming the bar is actually 33mm & accounting for a slight increase due to powdercoat thickness). Ace Hardware may even have them. I know they have small ones, but I never looked to see how large they went to.
Thank you for the suggestion. I bought these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282369324637
Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Have you had a chance to drive the car with this sway bar on? is is comparable to the Moddiction bar?

Old 09-20-2018, 12:41 AM

I have never driven a car with the Moddiction bar, but this attaches in the same way, at the same points, and is thicker.

It also fits and is in stock unlike moddiction, plus it is about half the price.

I have driven the car, including in anger, but no autocross yet, so I cannot say if it fixed the limit handling. It feels great on the street.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:41 PM

Do you have any updates on this bar, have you had a chance to puch it at the track or autoX?
Old 10-20-2018, 05:56 AM

Last weekend, I finally had the opportunity to autocross with the bar. It was WAY better, much more controllable and neutral vs. the 30mm hollow bar that was on there before. It was nice and stable through a 6 cone slalom, before it was a tank slapper after 2 cones.

I was hearing some noise before and especially after, and it turns out the endlinks were loose, probably from the paint around the holes crumbling after torquing them. I cranked them down, but I may just upgrade them; I don't think they will last long with that monster bar.
The Following User Says Thank You to FastUnicorn For This Useful Post:
raduly (10-21-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 08:23 AM

What endlinks are you using with the FSB? Im needing new endlinks currently and kinda thinking about doing a fsb at the same time.

Quick Reply: New Front Swaybar Option: 33mm Solid Nolathane

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands