S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?

Old 10-27-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Berni, have you had the time to test it and compare to before? I'm considering the upgrade, but this thread is giving me a lot to think about, as it seams this version isn't really an upgrade Your feedback is precious, thank you.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you already have coilovers?
Old 10-28-2018, 03:13 PM

No, I have AP1 OEM suspension, but I'm considering upgrading to Ohlins. What I meant from looks like it isn't really an upgrade, is considering the old Ohlins and this new version. Not OEM or other coilovers. From OEM I'm assuming these new Ohlins are far superior (hope so - as it is an expensive upgrade). But I'm curious on a comparison to other coilovers and the real experience with this new version
Old 10-28-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Berni
I'm digging the stripped finish on that Spoon caliper. Are you planning on keeping it like this?
The following users liked this post:
Chris Thomas (07-21-2019)
Old 10-28-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by webroot
No, I have AP1 OEM suspension, but I'm considering upgrading to Ohlins. What I meant from looks like it isn't really an upgrade, is considering the old Ohlins and this new version. Not OEM or other coilovers. From OEM I'm assuming these new Ohlins are far superior (hope so - as it is an expensive upgrade). But I'm curious on a comparison to other coilovers and the real experience with this new version
removed my comment due to irrelevancy lol

Last edited by Jae2K; 10-30-2018 at 05:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
webroot (10-29-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

@webroot: I have now tried them on the street and driven them really hard for a few days.
Compared to with my KW V3's, the car feels totally different, at least on the street!
The car feels a lot smoother but without loosing the sense of the "control and feel" I had with the KW's when I drive the car hard.
Driving over bumps and on uneven roads compared to the KW's, the Öhlins absorb more making the car feel more stable and making the car more comfortable.
Before I got theese I was really happy with the handling of my car with the KW's even if I sacrificed the comfort when normal driving to be able to have (almost) total control when driving hard.
Since I mainly drive my car on the road but a few times a year on the track I think Öhlins is a better choice, at least for me.
I'm really looking forward to trying them on the track, sadly it started snowing here this weekend meaning the season is over..

@ Mugen is best: I bought theese spoon calipers a while ago and the original blue color had started fading so I started stripping of the color and the plan was to paint them black and put them on my car.
But I forgot that I had bigger and wider discs on the car so they wont fit. So they have been laying there för a long time…

I still can't figure out why people don't think that the HOS MI21 is an upgrade from HOS MI20? Do some people seriously think (without even trying them) that
Öhlins would just change the springs and re-release them as a new kit?
Im my opinion they listened to "our" feedback and took "our" problems and redesigned the HOS MI20 making it a better product for "us".

Last edited by Berni; 10-29-2018 at 02:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Berni:
Chris Thomas (07-21-2019), stewpitt (05-02-2019), webroot (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Could be much ado about nothing depending on intended use. The Ohlins DFV is such an awesome setup anyways that for most people it will feel and be superior to any stock street configuration in most driving conditions regardless of the spring rate differential on the updated setup.

Where you will notice a difference in both theory and application is at the track and I think this is what is being discussed by most of the people on this thread.

Berni what tires are you using for your car right now and what are your alignment settings?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:33 AM
JRC

I wonder why ohlins offers always the standard kit with lees spring rate in the rear, my 2003 AP1 is actually the opposite from stock, it has more spring rate at the rear. Taking into account tne car balance is like 49/51 I would say that make sense to have the same sring rate all arround, 10k/10K sounds good according the car balance, that is what I would buy if I buy ohlins.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@webroot: I have now tried them on the street and driven them really hard for a few days.
Compared to with my KW V3's, the car feels totally different, at least on the street!
The car feels a lot smoother but without loosing the sense of the "control and feel" I had with the KW's when I drive the car hard.
Driving over bumps and on uneven roads compared to the KW's, the Öhlins absorb more making the car feel more stable and making the car more comfortable.
Before I got theese I was really happy with the handling of my car with the KW's even if I sacrificed the comfort when normal driving to be able to have (almost) total control when driving hard.
Since I mainly drive my car on the road but a few times a year on the track I think Öhlins is a better choice, at least for me.
I'm really looking forward to trying them on the track, sadly it started snowing here this weekend meaning the season is over..
I have never driven the KWs myself (I will test them next spring), but when I was in the passenger's seat I didn't think they were overly harsh. From what I read and hear the have a wide range and can also be set up to be comfortable.

I still can't figure out why people don't think that the HOS MI21 is an upgrade from HOS MI20? Do some people seriously think (without even trying them) that
Öhlins would just change the springs and re-release them as a new kit?
Im my opinion they listened to "our" feedback and took "our" problems and redesigned the HOS MI20 making it a better product for "us".
Physics - the spring rates do not make sense.
And if also Sakebomb Garage who have a lot of experience with Ohlins and the S2000 and even have the suspension modelled don't see it as an upgrade, I don't see why I should.
What do you mean with "our feedback" and "our problems" and what redesign resulted in a benefit?
Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JRC
I wonder why ohlins offers always the standard kit with lees spring rate in the rear, my 2003 AP1 is actually the opposite from stock, it has more spring rate at the rear. Taking into account tne car balance is like 49/51 I would say that make sense to have the same sring rate all arround, 10k/10K sounds good according the car balance, that is what I would buy if I buy ohlins.
^this. I'm in the process of switching over to 10/10k setup. I did move to a square 255 tires also. I'll report back on how I like the changes. I can tell you that after moving to a square wheel/tire setup and adding an eibach front sway bar, I have to dial in more rebound adjustment in the rear to match the front's characteristics. I have the front set at 10 and the rear 8, from stiff. The balance between the front and the rear is still not to my liking.

Quick Reply: New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?