S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

New Rotors - Stick with blanks for tracking?

Old 08-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Rotors - Stick with blanks for tracking?

Hi,

So i've just gone through a set of DS2500 pads and i told myself i would replace the rotors after this set as i have no idea how old these rotors or if they are OEM or not (had them machined when i put the pads in).

So now the time has come to buy new rotors and i'm a bit torn about which ones to get. I was going to get myself a set of DBA 4000s (blank face) for front and rear but i don't do a lot of KMs on it anymore and it starting to see 1/3 of its time on the track or to and from an event.

Should i go with slotted (DBA 4000 S slotted) now that i'm tracking a lot more or just stick with blanks? If i stay with blanks, should i go with the DBAs? I know a lot of people recommend the centric ones and treat them like a consumable but i would have to ship them to AUS and they aren't very cost effective for this mentality.

DBA 4000 Blank / $201AU - for front
DBA 4000 Blank / $182AU - for rear

Ebaying Centric rotors seems to cost about $200AU with shipping from the US.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have always used oem or centric blanks with good luck. Did you measure your current rotors. If the still spec out, have no pulsating issue, and are not cracked, I would run them.

On another note, how do you like the DS2500 pads. Good track bite? Can you street drive them?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
I have always used oem or centric blanks with good luck. Did you measure your current rotors. If the still spec out, have no pulsating issue, and are not cracked, I would run them.

On another note, how do you like the DS2500 pads. Good track bite? Can you street drive them?
The DS2500 have been great! I have had no issues with them on the street. They do dust a bit and and make a tiny bit of noise. Most notable noises are very light applications of the brake such as creeping in traffic which will give a bit of a squeal but after a track event they stop doing it for a while. The other noise is when i come to a stop on a steep incline and the car wants to roll back. They make a weird croaking sound but i can only really get it to do it on my driveway. I have never felt like i was compromised on the street.

In regards to the track. I don't know what good track bite feels like as these are the only pads i've tracked with. The fronts have survived 8 events but only had a few mm left on them and the rears probably still had 1/3 left. I would say i have done about 500km of tracking on them and its been great. No difference since they first went in until now. I pair with Penrite Brake Fluid with stock lines and i have never experianced any fade although my longest session would be between 15 and 20 minutes.

I was going to measure my rotors tomorrow evening but i'm not sure if they are coping... my rotors turn blue with heat spots after a session. I've removed one of them for inspection and no cracks but the blue is between all the veins.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:19 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I definitely stick with blanks, either NAPA or Centrics if I have time to order them.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Centric blanks from rockauto.com IF you were in the US
Old 08-23-2016, 06:43 PM

That's the main issue for me is that i'm not in the US... Oh how much my car enthusiast life would be better there... A lot of sites and won't sell to me as they now check the billing address of the credit card purchasing the items.

Since my car is off the road and an event is coming up soon. I'm going to go with the DBAs as i don't think i can guarantee getting the centrics in a timely fashion. I'll let you know the feedback.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

The DBA's are 2X the price...but should last close to 2X as long as the Centrics if we are talking just track use.

Do they not have auto parts stores that sell normal blank rotors? Or are those pricey as well?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:59 PM

So i went to go order them and got a bit of a slap in the face.

The price i quoted was for only 1 rotor and not a pair. DBA don't have the rears in the 4000 blank anymore and the only thing available for my rear was the slotted 4000 t3.
Essentially i had no option but to go for slotted due to time frame. Although there wasn't too much of a price difference between blank and slotted.

Admittedly my search for other brands or suppliers didn't turn up much that was local to AUS except for RDA branded ones which i basically ignored. Everything else just points me DBA or to the US.

OEM here is just a joke. i didn't even bother checking as they charged me $2 for the oil sump crush washer and will only supply me the 15400-RAF-T01 filter which is about $22.

All up i got the following:

DBA 4000S T3 - Front and Rear
Ferodo DS2500 - Front and Rear
Goodridge Braided Line Kit

This basically cost me approximately $1400 AUS which is about $1000 US.

The supplier threw in 1 litre of AP Racing brake fluid which i don't think is enough for a full flush lol.

I didn't follow my plan but i'll let you know how i go. Next time i'll think in advance and try order some centrics.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

does anything like Amazon.com exist for you guys?

Also...a liter is enough for a brake flush.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Any high volume aftermarket replacement part retailer should have replacement rotors for way cheaper then that.

Quick Reply: New Rotors - Stick with blanks for tracking?