S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

New Rotors - Stick with blanks for tracking?

Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe some options here?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/veh...ch/parts-guide
Old 08-26-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Amazon.com.au only does books here and the US version will not ship car parts to AUS.

Appreciate the help, Supercheap are good for the odd tool or fluid / grease and even general items but i wouldn't feel comfortable taking items to the track. They only stock the standard OE replacement stuff and anything performance orientated.

In regards to the replacement rotors, are the centrics just favored because they can withstand the abuse of high heat and aggressive pads? What the difference between the standard centric rotor and the premium?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds to me like you need to buy a pallet of Centric Premium rotors and have them thrown on a boat for AU. You could become a brake rotor dealer lol.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Centric regulars are made in China and are uncoated.

Centric premiums are made in China and have a coating.

They are decent enough rotors in terms of manufacturing quality. Mine last quite a while on track. I have a dedicated track set that have seen nothing but track time.

I don't find much of a difference in using ultra cheap rotors for the track either. Just plan to throw them out when they start microcracking.

I get 4 to 6 days out of a pair of cheapo fronts before I decide "eff these rotors". They cost $10-$20 in the US. So..its not worth the risk of using them longer and cracking them while on track...which is very rare...but does happen with over use.

Though, my friend is on like...track day 15 (!!!!!!) and street use with a set of cheapo autozone rotors with no cracks.

They usually crack in the pits. I have never seen a cheap rotor explode or disintegrate or anything catastrophic.

Here, DBA's cost like $150/ea or so. Idk if they'd last 8-10X as long (50ish track days). So...for me...it doesn't make dollars and cents to shell out for DBA's.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info B.

A pallette would be good but there aren't they many S2000s here. Only 1800 were delivered to AUS over the 10 years. I would say 50% of them have been written off.

Any other s2000 i have seen at the track all have BBKs. I'm one of the only close to stock guys ive seen in my area.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Yeah Im running NAPA rotors in the front. On track day 4 and they still look new.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why did you ignore rda?
Front/rear sets set me back about $200-$220 for all four corners and I've been using them at the track for 3 years now. Just replaced a set that I had used for 9 track days with pmu hc+ and they're still within spec. I, like you just like replacing everything at once to keep it fresh.

Definitely go rda blanks next time!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruunz
So i went to go order them and got a bit of a slap in the face.

The price i quoted was for only 1 rotor and not a pair. DBA don't have the rears in the 4000 blank anymore and the only thing available for my rear was the slotted 4000 t3.
Essentially i had no option but to go for slotted due to time frame. Although there wasn't too much of a price difference between blank and slotted.

Admittedly my search for other brands or suppliers didn't turn up much that was local to AUS except for RDA branded ones which i basically ignored. Everything else just points me DBA or to the US.

OEM here is just a joke. i didn't even bother checking as they charged me $2 for the oil sump crush washer and will only supply me the 15400-RAF-T01 filter which is about $22.

All up i got the following:

DBA 4000S T3 - Front and Rear
Ferodo DS2500 - Front and Rear
Goodridge Braided Line Kit

This basically cost me approximately $1400 AUS which is about $1000 US.

The supplier threw in 1 litre of AP Racing brake fluid which i don't think is enough for a full flush lol.

I didn't follow my plan but i'll let you know how i go. Next time i'll think in advance and try order some centrics.

For a few hundred more we could have sent you our SBG designed Wilwood track day kit with two piece rotors and 20mm thick pads wish I saw this thread sooner. Replacement rings would be just a bit about $100 each but the 325's last forever and run cooler for track use so the replacement schedule is much longer.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/116...sales-special/
Old 09-12-2016, 06:18 PM

@ todd - Because i was waiting for a confirmation likes yours to say they are OK for track use My main goal for any track day is to drive home. I wasn't comfortable going with RDA without known experiences. I'll give it a go next time.

@sake - My car is basically stock with the exception of PSS9 coil-overs and fat rubber. If you threw in some nice CE28N rims (for free) i would take you up on the offer but my RPF1s will be keeping me on stock brakes for a while.

Well the brakes are together minus the braided lines (on back order). The slotted t3 do look nice. I'm pretty sure they add 10kw of power now lol
The temperature paint is a bit useless on them as i triggered all of markings while bedding the pads in.

I had the track day and they survived. So lets see how many more they survive. One thing i did notice with these i can now feel the temp difference in the pads where previously it all felt the same to me. Not sure if its purely a mental thing or the rotors actually make any difference.

Ill try and take a photo of the car with everything back on.

New Rotors - Stick with blanks for tracking?-ttudgoa.jpg
Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's fair then. Everyone just seems to bag RDA without ever trying them. Tbh I've had friends crack new DBA T3 within half a trackday at winton but then have used RDA and done 5-6 trackdays with no issue so far.
A bunch of friends bought about 10 f and r sets of RDA like 3 years ago on a 20% off eBay sale and we're all still using them. We're onto our second sets now mostly due to us all upgrading our pads and wanting fresh rotors to go on too.

What tracks do you run at?

Quick Reply: New Rotors - Stick with blanks for tracking?