S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Newbie Needs Suggestions - Pads AutoX and Light Track Use

Old 08-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Carbotech ax6 is a phenomenal autox pad. They are good for daily if you are okay with a little noise and dust. Crazy initial bite. Not recommended for track use, but if you are running a 280+ TW tire you should be fine.

For rotors, I recommend Centric Premiums
I concur with all of the above, except I think they do fairly well on track as well. AX6s rock.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbotech ax6 is a phenomenal autox pad. They are good for daily if you are okay with a little noise and dust. Crazy initial bite. Not recommended for track use, but if you are running a 280+ TW tire you should be fine.

For rotors, I recommend Centric Premiums
What if I'm running a 200 treadwear tire? I have Rs4s.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Vangelis

Buy track pads and their own rotors.

Or try stoptech sports first.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vangelis
buy carbotech xp10. Ax6 will fade fairly easy with a 200tw tire and a somewhat fast driver or a brake heavy track.

Don't waste time trying to track with stoptech Sport either. They are good for daily, autox and spirited driving, but not much outside of that.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You leave out how much experience you have doing AutoX or HPDE. Based on your original post guessing it's minimal? Once you get more time in, there's not much of an intersection between pads that are good at Auto-x, HPDE, and street for this platform. Toss in the fact the stock S2000 brake system is bit undersized to begin with it further exacerbates the ends of the spectrum with pads.

Fore reference I track and drive on the street my G-Loc R10 but it's only street driven infrequently on weekends and to / from track days. If I had a more frequent street use I'd swap pads and rotors. My advice is to start with Stoptech Sports. They're a jack of all trades, master of none. If you do more Auto-X or HPDE track time then adjust.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

buy carbotech xp10. Ax6 will fade fairly easy with a 200tw tire and a somewhat fast driver or a brake heavy track.

Don't waste time trying to track with stoptech Sport either. They are good for daily, autox and spirited driving, but not much outside of that.
I disagree. AX6's will smear pad deposits on the rotor within a few laps at speed. Stoptech Sports can actually handle quite a lot of abuse. They hung on the few times I did full 25 min sessions this past weekend in 100 deg F heat (125 F heat index!). The tires had it at 4 laps consistently, but I just backed it down a hair to what they could hold and slid around the track for the rest of the sessions and the pads didn't deposit on the rotors which is amazing for me for a streetable pad.

The rears will get hot and reduce friction/braking force with Stoptech Sports, but it's pretty obvious when it happens. Your braking distances will increase slightly, and you'll be getting more into ABS as the bias shifts forward. Same type of things you need to think about when tracking a street tire that's going to generally suffer from heat sooner than an R-comp etc.

I'm in the advanced/instructor groups at HPDEs, so if you're a novice or intermediate, you're probably going to put MORE heat in, as you're going to be overslowing the car and likely having more brake events. So just keep in mind you'll be getting them hot sooner, and adjust your driving to suit, but based on my experience, they'll handle it.

I think some 2" cooling ducts in the rears will probably keep things roughly under control back there to even things out, but I'll have to fab some up and test it out.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Powerstop just came out with "trackday pads" for the S2000.

I'm kinda curious about them. They're massively cheap (like $140 for the whole set). Not as cheap as Stoptech Sports. And probably not as streetable. But likely more bite and better high temp characteristics. The Stoptechs have ok initial bite...but its not anything to write home about.

I do like the huge amount of bite that track pads have when driven on the street. But...I always feel like I'm wasting an expensive pad. I am currently using Carbotech XP12/10.

If the Powerstops work well and bite like crazy...for $140.... I'll likely just leave them on all the time.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Kind of like shocks, you need to figure out what you like and most importantly what you don't about your current pads and go from there. If the pads that are on there are above 60% I say use them for your first event.

if you need new pads, they fall in two camps. Street pads you can use on the track and track pads you can use on the street. I recommend staying in the first category while you learn the car.

My favorite pad in that group is stoptech sports. Think of them like stock +. I am actually running them now as I figure out what my next track pad will be. They are as streetable as stock except for more dusting. Have a bit more bite, and definetly handle more heat. Plus they are cheap.