S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Non staggered set up, no fender work, BBK fitment?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

17x9 +63 shouldn't require a fender roll.

But...setting up a car has a lot of factors.

Were you previously using stock pads on a track? I haven't faded correctly spec'd track pads...ever. There are advantages to a BBK...and I'm not just trying to discourage you or debate whether or not you need one.

I'm saying that if your main focus is to buy a set of wheels that fit the way you want...in a brand that is less likely to fail on track, then make that your priority. The priorities can surpass BBK fitment because BBKs aren't anywhere near a "necessity".

Or in short...buy the wheel fitment you want and that is the most advantageous. Don't worry about the BBK unless you NEED it. Most track S2000's do not have BBK's. They just have the correct pads, fluid, and lines.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
17x9 +63 shouldn't require a fender roll.

But...setting up a car has a lot of factors.

Were you previously using stock pads on a track? I haven't faded correctly spec'd track pads...ever. There are advantages to a BBK...and I'm not just trying to discourage you or debate whether or not you need one.

I'm saying that if your main focus is to buy a set of wheels that fit the way you want...in a brand that is less likely to fail on track, then make that your priority. The priorities can surpass BBK fitment because BBKs aren't anywhere near a "necessity".

Or in short...buy the wheel fitment you want and that is the most advantageous. Don't worry about the BBK unless you NEED it. Most track S2000's do not have BBK's. They just have the correct pads, fluid, and lines.
Thanks for your input.

I don't need s2000 but I have it. Need it vs want it just doesn't justify anything for me. For me it is about having a peace of mind. Knowing me, I won't ever stop modding.

I just want to do it once and done.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

What you are looking for doesn't really exist, the moment you lower the ride height you are dealing with a fender liner and fenders that weren't really designed for that, so additional (but simple) work is needed. Even with really non-aggressive wheels and a lower ride height you can easily have the tire come into contact with the fender liner tabs, so at the minimum it is safe to say you will need to bend up those liner tabs. Even on 17x7.5+50 front wheels with 225 front tires with the car lowered about an inch I would come in contact with those tabs and that part of the fender liner under heavy load. If you don't drive the car aggressively at all you will be fine, but then you don't need a square setup or BBK.

17x9+63 will still come in contact with those tabs as well with the car lowered and under heavy load unless you are on quite a stiff spring rate. +63 will also most likely have issues at full lock up front.

You are really limiting your wheel choices by worrying about something that really doesn't matter at all. (rolling the fenders). If done properly it really isn't any different from many new cars on the road today. If you look at a lot of cars today you will see many fender lips that were actually "rolled" as part of it's design to provide more clearance. Find someone that can do it properly and you won't really regret it. There aren't really any downsides. 5 out of 6 fender rolls don't "fail". 5 out of 6 were done by some idiot that doesn't know what they are doing. I have seen people that know what they are doing do fenders and quarter panels all day long without a single issue on one of them.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by NFR-S2k-
tsw nurburging 17x9 +63 will clear a few bbk's and shouldn't require a roll since the offset is less aggressive than the fronts from the factory haha
Actually its more aggressive then stock, remember the wheel is 50mm wider but only 8mm less aggressive offset, so it sticks out exactly 17.4mm more and 33.6mm less inner room.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:49 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

+63 17x9 tsw lowered on kwv3 more than an inch id say. Driving around only rubbing was the rear bumper you could see the rub marks. Trimmed that down a bit just to be safe where I could see the mild rub marks.Once on the track yes some rubbing of the fender liner at first. Maybe re71r in 255 don't run real wide but not experiencing any rubbing now.
Overkill setup if all your doing is street driving it. 225/255 is still plenty fun.
However being able to rotate is nice
Old 08-04-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@andrewhake
Thanks for your thorough answer. I have been researching and as you say it seems like there is no such wheel that does all the things I need it to do.

My priorities are in the order of importance:
Braking
Traction/handling

with 225 going BBK to me seems like a waste as it may be not the brake but the tires not provide enough traction?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenS2000
@andrewhake
Thanks for your thorough answer. I have been researching and as you say it seems like there is no such wheel that does all the things I need it to do.

My priorities are in the order of importance:
Braking
Traction/handling

with 225 going BBK to me seems like a waste as it may be not the brake but the tires not provide enough traction?
It's not that the traction is the issue, it's the heat holding / dissipating capacity of the brake rotor (among other things). Thinking about brakes in terms of traction doesn't really make much sense, as the stock brakes can generate more than enough stopping power to lock your wheels. The problem is they can't do it over and over and over again without failing (especially the rears which have no chance of cooling themselves).

We make a few solutions, but they don't fit under stock wheels... so, this isn't meant to be a plug but there are quite a few good options out there for heat management.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...big-brake-kit/
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...er-conversion/

Front directional curved vane 325mm x 32mm vs stock 299mm x 25mm straight vane:
Name:  4D745F20-919D-4F1C-993E-E29ABDF087D5_zpsup43k1kg.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  384.8 KB

Rear vented directional curved vane 314mm x 20mm vs stock: 281mm x 12mm SOLID (no cooling aside from radiant)