S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

rotors and pads, anything else?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotors and pads, anything else?

I noticed some marring on my front rotors and also heard slight noise from the pads. I wanted to purchase some good OEM pads and was going swap out for some stock or upgraded rotors. Anyone have some suggestions as to what rotors to use? Want to keep stock size but maybe get the slotted style as i have heard they are better for heat. Anything else that normally gets done on an S2k when you are doing this procedure... like wheel bearings or the like? Just curious as break pads and rotors are fairly easy to manage. thanks for the input
Old 05-08-2015, 06:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you are hearing some excessive whining from one of the hubs or you notice some play in the wheel when it's in the air, you shouldn't need any wheel bearings. We sell Stoptech brake packages that are a direct fitment with your stock calipers but are more performance oriented. We offer a slotted package that comes with Street Performance pads for increased performance over stock. They also produce less dust and noise than other aftermarket pads. Be sure when you get your new brakes to bed them in properly! Stoptech has great bed-in info on their website.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...i-1798790.aspx

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...-system-bed-in
Old 05-08-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Upgraded rotors are big waste of money. Factory Honda rotors are the best blanks money can buy in terms of metallurgy.

If your factory rotors are still in spec I would just get them turned. And if you have to replace the get some autozone dura last or some oreilly Bosch rotors.

Slotted and/or cross drilled rotors offer absolutely 0 performance.

2 piece rotors are another big waste of money.

Reverse mounted rotors are another big scam.

As far as pads go; the stock ones are fine but just way too expensive. There is definitely room for improvement. My personal favorite is going with some:
Project mu hc+ 800
Hawk hps 5.0

I have stoptech street performance pads when my car sees extended time away from the track but they are a super crappy pad in terms of performance. But I don't drive like an a-hole on public streets

If your lines are very old I would consider replacing those with some fresh SS lines and I would definitely flush your brake fluid and probably grease your guide pins and wire brush your old brake dust off your calipers.

While your rotors are off I would check cv joints and dust boots for leaks and cracks and also bushings to set up for future maintenance