S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlins DFV Driving Impressions (Street/Touge)

Old 01-26-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Ohlins DFV Driving Impressions (Street/Touge)

Ohlins DFV Driving Impressions (Street/Touge):

Summary:

Initial impression

After I picked up the car from the shop I took it out for a quick testing session and was immediately pleased with the results. A stock S2000 has very little roll compared to most cars but there is still that small amount that requires the driver to compensate for the slight delay that can occur between inputs. On the new setup I noticed I was turning in a bit too early since I was used to compensating for the roll. In fact I noticed that most of my inputs were a bit too early now. My habits changed very quickly though and after a few runs I was turning in later and later and the car reacted beautifully. Even better, all of my other inputs were slowly adjusting. With less dive I was now braking later than ever before. With increased overall grip I was getting to full throttle earlier and taking corners flat I never could before. And with the improved damping all of these inputs are always right in sync with what the car is actually doing at the time. These are the types of differences I was expecting but I was pretty shocked at just how big of a difference it has made.

Ohlins DFV impressions

The Ohlins DFV are at their recommended ride height (25mm lower than stock, 330 ride height from wheel center to fender F and R) and were setup at 11 clicks from full stiff F and R (I meant to use 10 per the Ohlins recommended setup but realized later I had miscounted). This was an extremely compliant setup and I immediately noticed how much more compliant the car was compared to the stock suspension, even though the springs are significantly stiffer and the ride height is lower. I opted for HyperCo 550lb/in (9.8kg/mm) springs instead of the included 10k F 8k R springs from Ohlins since I am using a staggered tire setup (225/255 RE-11A). In some of the more technical sections with a bunch of linked up tight and narrow corners I felt the damping was a bit too soft. Keep in mind this was when I was really tossing the car back and forth and it was reacting over roads that camber back and forth. Whenever making a drastic change of direction the car felt like it wasn't quite in sync front to rear. Not terrible but noticeable. Still great to drive and massive improvement over stock but I knew I wanted to try them a bit stiffer. I felt already that the spring rate was perfect for the type of roads I like to drive. In no way is it too stiff to enjoy the really tight, twisty, bumpy, and narrow roads I often like to drive. If anything the car just handles them much better than stock, even with the lower ride height. Even when getting the car slightly airborne I am reconnected to the road in a way that is just dramatically more staple. A high speed corner with a pretty harsh dip right in the middle that I always had to do a little lift for I can now take flat and the car stays completely composed. I can't wait to test them out on Bumpy Ass Buttonwillow.

(The measurements in these setup sheets are adjusted from the recommended Ohlins ride height settings to account for my J's roll center adjusters)

The next morning I set the dampers to 8 clicks from full stiff (F and R). I wanted to try 2 clicks stiffer than the recommended setup and as I was adjusting I realized they were actually set to 11 not 10, so this was technically 3 clicks stiffer than the setup I drove and felt it was a tiny bit to soft (which was 1 click softer than what Ohlins recommends). I drove my usual route to work (the same route I had tested them set to 11 clicks) and I honestly didn't feel that the ride was any more harsh. There is a section of freeway that I have to drive over that is very wavy and the car feels dramatically better than stock over this wavy section. I also drive over a few railroad tracks on my way to work. After installing the Spoon Rigid collars there was a noticeable improvement in how the car reacted but this time driving over them I actually started laughing at how much better it is. The only indication of going over railroad tracks that I really sense from the car is the vibration through the tires and the sound. I found myself swerving at bumps in the road just so I could enjoy how compliant the car is.

Later that evening I went on my usual route up into the mountains to give the car a thorough shakedown with the adjustments to the dampers. This was a much more thorough test and I was driving with a person that I frequent the mountains with. With the dampers now adjusted it took me about 4-5 corners to realize just how much more potential the car now has. INCREDIBLE. As I started to get a feel for it, I started turning in later and later and with more speed. It was then I started to realize just how different this setup really is. The car is an absolute turn-in monster now. I specifically was testing on some very tight corners where the stock car would exhibit a bit of understeer. I purposely tried entering these corners too hot and not once could I get it to understeer. It just turn turn turns. Many times I was telling the car out loud how much I love it after each corner, hahaha. Of course there is a limit to what the tires can do, but now when that limit is reached the car just goes into a 4 wheel slide in an incredibly smooth way. I have complete control of the rear end with the throttle now that just wasn't quite there with the stock suspension. It's almost magical the way this car turns in now. I gave a good friend of mine a ride along (who I consider to be a much better driver than I am) who drives a highly tuned Audi S4 touge monster with Ohlins 2-way dampers that blew me away when I went for a ride and drove it. He has driven my car as it was stock and gone for a ride along with me driving on the same roads. This is the first time (since my rental car bandit days ) that I have properly scared him in a car. It took him many runs to adjust to how far I could brake into corners before turning in. We were entering corners at speeds that would cause his AWD monster to start understeering and my car was now eating up. He just started laughing as we did more runs and I just kept entering corners faster and faster. His impressions were the exact same as mine. Complete control of the rear end of the car with the throttle now and the turn-in is something his car can just not hang with. His car should definitely be able to exit corners much quicker and leave me in the dust on straights but he couldn't stop talking about how amazing it is under turn-in.

The new improved alignment plays a very large role in making the car the turn-in monster it has become I think. One whole degree more of negative camber than my last setup and -0.2 offset from the rear. (-2.6 F -2.4 R, 6.0 Caster, 1/16th total rear toe-in). As mentioned the car is 25mm lower than it was stock (at 330mm wheel center to fender) F and R. It also has a slightly wider track F and R with the CE28N's compared to the stock wheels. All of this combined with the excellent Ohlins dampers and I have a setup I really couldn't be happier with and was able to get comfortable with almost immediately. I was really afraid that I might get slower trying to relearn the car but it is just dramatically quicker. I can't wait to get to the track to see just how much faster! I was getting some very minor rubbing on the middle fender liner tabs when the car was under really heavy load through some low speed corners but this should be a pretty simple fix that I will get taken care of before hitting the track in February. The type of roads I drive in the mountains aren't really so different from the track, but I will definitely be posting up with my track impressions as well.

Driving back home I couldn't stop thinking about how the car felt entering a corner. When a car understeers I am always sort of taken out of that world where I have become "one with the car". When a car has snappy behavior when going into oversteer I feel like I am fighting with it a bit. Now this car just feels like it wants to do exactly what I want it to do and is actually begging me to drive it faster. What more could I ask for? :thumb up:

Again I would like to say thank you to Patrick at Urge Designs for the Ohlins, Anish at Speed Freaks for getting me the camber joints, and Jei and everyone else at BlackTrax for the great work on the install.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Here is my initial post after receiving the Ohlins that includes some more photos:

Ohlins DFV! HUGE thanks to Patrick at Urge Designs for getting these to me very quickly after I decided to order. I got lucky and ordered when there were a few sets were on their way the the U.S. Patrick helped answer a ton of questions I had and made great suggestions.

I work for a company very well known for it's packaging, and this is pretty nice packaging.

All the parts ready for assembly. The assembly on these is extremely simple with nice clear instructions included. They came adjusted to the recommended settings out of the box, so just install the rubber boots, springs, bearing spacers and top hats. For the rears they recommend trimming the boot but I decided to just pull it down along the shock body a little further since a little extra protection from the elements can't hurt.

Assembled, with a slight change as you might have noticed. I will be running these initially with a staggered setup 225/255 and wanted to keep the spring rate balance similar front and rear as my 06 AP2 is stock. I will be running HyperCo 550lb (9.8kg) springs all around. I do plan on trying to maximize the staggered setup with the HyperCo as well as the included Ohlins 10kg/8kg springs to see which setup I like best. But the blue HyperCos are looking pretty good on the gold dampers. Then I will do the same on a square setup. My plan has always been to setup the car for the street first and see what it can do on the track second, that is why I ordered the Ohlins after picking up the SRCs as well. I couldn't resist the SRCs due to the price, but now I will have the chance to test the Ohlins on two different spring setups, and I plan to test the SRCs on 12kg springs all around as well as the included 16kg springs. So I should be having plenty of fun starting in December or January.

Here are some more shots of the beautiful Ohlins:

Ohlins/Eibach springs (100Nm & 80Nm):

The adjuster knobs are great on the DFV.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I was already in love with these coilovers, but you just reinforced everything I've been thinking. I do like the choice of hyperco nonstagger springs too.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL. Your car looks like an exact clone of mine. Love my Ohlins. Love my CE28s. Love my OEM lip and spoiler. You have good taste, my man.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I was already in love with these coilovers, but you just reinforced everything I've been thinking. I do like the choice of hyperco nonstagger springs too.
Happy to help. I am extremely happy with the spring rates. The Dual Flow Valve was the main thing that convinced me, it sounded like exactly the type of damper I was after, and is something that even higher end Ohlins do not offer (although they provide many other benefits). I also liked that Performance Shock Inc. in Sonoma is so close by which is the go to place to get rebuilds done.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by grubinski
LOL. Your car looks like an exact clone of mine. Love my Ohlins. Love my CE28s. Love my OEM lip and spoiler. You have good taste, my man.
As do you! If only the S2000 came with Ohlins and CE28s from the factory as it should have.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Great review Andrew. Hopefully I get a chance to sit in the car and see how they ride. My next choice currently for suspension
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Let us know what you think of them on track. I've been looking at these as a possible compromise coilover. My custom-valved Bilsteins feel great on the track but are very rough in the mountains. Mac and I got them to where they have excellent body control and good balance but they aren't very compliant on the street. I want something that can be comfortable on the street but am not willing to give up any performance on track. I'm concerned the DFV's will be too soft on track.

I wonder if the rears can handle 14k springs without a re-valve? I want to try a 12k Front / 14k Rear non-staggered setup with a soft rear sway (or no rear sway) and stiff front sway.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How you compare these to KW Variant 3's? I'm looking into one of the two as my next set of coils.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Let us know what you think of them on track. I've been looking at these as a possible compromise coilover. My custom-valved Bilsteins feel great on the track but are very rough in the mountains. Mac and I got them to where they have excellent body control and good balance but they aren't very compliant on the street. I want something that can be comfortable on the street but am not willing to give up any performance on track. I'm concerned the DFV's will be too soft on track.

I wonder if the rears can handle 14k springs without a re-valve? I want to try a 12k Front / 14k Rear non-staggered setup with a soft rear sway (or no rear sway) and stiff front sway.
12K Front no problem. The DFVs have a lot of adjustability. 14K in the rear is over 70% included rates. It would be a bit much for them. The valving would wear a little faster on them but they can simply be rebuilt with stiffer valving..

I would say 12KG/10KG would be the highest optimal rates they can take. If you adjust the damping to full stiff, I bet you will get a pretty firm ride for track/ limit roll and simply loosen them up for the street.

Patrick

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV Driving Impressions (Street/Touge)