S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   Ohlins DFV install question - please help (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/ohlins-dfv-install-question-please-help-1095727/)

HS2K04 08-13-2014 04:55 PM

Ohlins DFV install question - please help

Hey all. I am hoping someone can help me out. I just finished up installing my dfvs and I thought everything went well. However, I hear a moderately loud clicking coming from the rear passenger side when turning or going over bumps, at very low speed. This is new from before install. There is no noise like that coming from any of the other corners. The only thing I did differently was that I tried to disconnect the lower aspect of the suspension link to get the oem shock out. This did prove to be quite difficult for some reason and I never actually got it to come apart fully. I ended up just having someone push down on the brake, which gave enough clearance to remove the oem strut. I then tightened it back up, hex key in the nut and all, then torqued it down. I found this whole process of removing and tightening the suspension link to be difficult as lining it up just wasn't working for me. I even tried loading the suspension with a jack. Other than that, there were no other issues there and I torqued everything down to spec. Assembly of the stut itself was without issue aswell. I'm going to take a look tomorrow morning to see what's up. Anyone have any suggestions? If the suspension link was loose or I damaged it, could that be causing the noise? Thanks in advance.

av8ter 08-13-2014 05:08 PM

Could be a problem incurred with the new ride height. Swap the coil overs right to left to see if the noise follows.

HS2K04 08-13-2014 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by av8ter (Post 23286078)
Could be a problem incurred with the new ride height. Swap the coil overs right to left to see if the noise follows.

I do appreciate your feedback. That's a good idea.
Any tips for tightening down the suspension link?

flanders 08-13-2014 10:29 PM

The suspension should be loaded when you torque down the bolts for upper and lower arms.
If you are having problems with the sway bar end links make sure both wheels (on the same axle) are unloaded when you try to remove or install them.
Also check that the spring perches on the Öhlins are not loose, that would probably make some noise.

Danabis 08-14-2014 10:58 AM

One thing to check is the nut securing the top hat to the shock shaft. Before I installed mine I was sure that I had this tight enough however after the test drive I had a similar clunk noise from this side. I ended up removing the shock and then re tighented. It was fairly tight but had a bit more to go. I was able to get an idea that this was my issue by opening the trunk and push down on the car from inside the truck area. You could clearly hear the noise is from the upper area of my suspension. Hopefully that helps maybe something to check.

HS2K04 08-14-2014 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Danabis (Post 23287106)
One thing to check is the nut securing the top hat to the shock shaft. Before I installed mine I was sure that I had this tight enough however after the test drive I had a similar clunk noise from this side. I ended up removing the shock and then re tighented. It was fairly tight but had a bit more to go. I was able to get an idea that this was my issue by opening the trunk and push down on the car from inside the truck area. You could clearly hear the noise is from the upper area of my suspension. Hopefully that helps maybe something to check.

This is exactly what I had and I figured it out the same way you did. Tightened it down, problem fixed. Thanks!