Ohlins DFV's - Review - Page 4 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.

Ohlins DFV's - Review

Reply

Old 12-09-2014, 06:28 AM
  #31
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 10,279
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I'm no chart reading genius but if I'm taking what you're saying I could easily get away with the rates I want to run? I'd actually really love to do 700/600 but I was think that's too much.
//steve\\ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:45 AM
  #32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you want stiffer springs, give them a try. You can always sell them to other racers if you don't like the results and don't feel like having the DFVs revalved. I think you could run your desired 700/600 lb/in with that valving.
nmrado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:29 PM
  #33
 
tcjensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 1,179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I don't think you'd have any issues on 700/600. I believe those are the rates that TWF (and ohlins rebuilder) was running on his S2000, which looked great. Also, there is a local STR autocrosser on DFV's with 700 lb front springs who is routinely very fast against some fast competition.
tcjensen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:48 PM
  #34
 
thomsbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, CA
Posts: 2,494
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
So given the dyno plots that are shown, I'm asking the more knowledgeable guys what you think the max spring rate is that could be run on these with off the shelf valving. For the all purpose use that I'm after I don't see the need to have them revalved and was looking most towards a 650/550lb setup or 12/10k setup.

I recently ran mine on the off the shelf rates at an autocross and found 2 from stiff up front and 6-7 from stiff out back worked very well for me. I haven't tried running them at full stiff but also haven't felt like they needed it. I was running the fronts a little stiffer to make up for the lack of massive front sway. If I had a little more bar I'd likely run them a tad softer.
Ohlins says they are good up to 12K/10K. I think one side effect of running without a revalve will be that while you have plenty of rebound headroom on the shocks, when you crank them up you're taking the bump in the wrong direction for the stiffer spring. Not a deal-breaker because rebound is affected FAR more than bump by the adjuster, but not ideal.

I got my rears revalved when I bought them so I got discounts, but I will say that I was VERY happily surprised at how little it cost to have them valved.
thomsbrain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 PM
  #35
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thomsbrain View Post
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1418089528' post='23431130
So given the dyno plots that are shown, I'm asking the more knowledgeable guys what you think the max spring rate is that could be run on these with off the shelf valving. For the all purpose use that I'm after I don't see the need to have them revalved and was looking most towards a 650/550lb setup or 12/10k setup.

I recently ran mine on the off the shelf rates at an autocross and found 2 from stiff up front and 6-7 from stiff out back worked very well for me. I haven't tried running them at full stiff but also haven't felt like they needed it. I was running the fronts a little stiffer to make up for the lack of massive front sway. If I had a little more bar I'd likely run them a tad softer.
Ohlins says they are good up to 12K/10K. I think one side effect of running without a revalve will be that while you have plenty of rebound headroom on the shocks, when you crank them up you're taking the bump in the wrong direction for the stiffer spring. Not a deal-breaker because rebound is affected FAR more than bump by the adjuster, but not ideal.

I got my rears revalved when I bought them so I got discounts, but I will say that I was VERY happily surprised at how little it cost to have them valved.
So would you say in 95% of cases, running 12/10 on stock valving is just fine? And the remaining 5% of cases would be in very rare and select cases?
steven88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:58 AM
  #36
 
thomsbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, CA
Posts: 2,494
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by steven88 View Post
Originally Posted by thomsbrain' timestamp='1418165329' post='23432054
[quote name='//steve\\' timestamp='1418089528' post='23431130']
So given the dyno plots that are shown, I'm asking the more knowledgeable guys what you think the max spring rate is that could be run on these with off the shelf valving. For the all purpose use that I'm after I don't see the need to have them revalved and was looking most towards a 650/550lb setup or 12/10k setup.

I recently ran mine on the off the shelf rates at an autocross and found 2 from stiff up front and 6-7 from stiff out back worked very well for me. I haven't tried running them at full stiff but also haven't felt like they needed it. I was running the fronts a little stiffer to make up for the lack of massive front sway. If I had a little more bar I'd likely run them a tad softer.
Ohlins says they are good up to 12K/10K. I think one side effect of running without a revalve will be that while you have plenty of rebound headroom on the shocks, when you crank them up you're taking the bump in the wrong direction for the stiffer spring. Not a deal-breaker because rebound is affected FAR more than bump by the adjuster, but not ideal.

I got my rears revalved when I bought them so I got discounts, but I will say that I was VERY happily surprised at how little it cost to have them valved.
So would you say in 95% of cases, running 12/10 on stock valving is just fine? And the remaining 5% of cases would be in very rare and select cases?
[/quote]

I really don't know! I think Ohlin's recommendation is based on what the shock can easily handle in terms of rebound adjustment. In other words, you won't hurt anything and the wheels won't bounce around if you run 12/10 on the stock valving. I think it's down to preference and application. I'm sure if you just want to run HDPE and live with fairly smooth streets, you'd be perfectly happy without a revalve. I just do HDPE and will never set any records, but I have extremely bumpy mountain roads on my commute, so comfort and compliance were a big factor in my choice to pony up for the Ohlins. I made a judgement call that it was worth the small expense to have the bump valving reduced to match the stiffer rear springs so that the effect on the ride quality would be minimized.
thomsbrain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:30 PM
  #37
 
tcjensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 1,179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Who revalves and for how much? Please share ... . I'd consider getting these and running 900/700 or so if I could have them revalved to handle it
tcjensen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:20 AM
  #38
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 10,279
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

performance shock inc out in CA is a good choice. I'd give them a call.
//steve\\ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 PM
  #39
 
tcjensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 1,179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by //steve\\
performance shock inc out in CA is a good choice. I'd give them a call.
Thanks Steve, that's a pretty sweet deal they'll do on new ones with a revalve for chosen rates.
tcjensen is offline  
Reply With Quote
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Apex1.0
S2000 Brakes and Suspension
26
12-04-2016 05:23 PM
aserr
S2000 Brakes and Suspension
12
08-08-2015 03:38 PM
Urge
S2000 Racing and Competition
112
04-08-2015 07:56 AM
carrnut21
S2000 Brakes and Suspension
1
03-25-2015 08:30 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:59 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: