Ohlins DFV and Urge review - Page 11 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.

Ohlins DFV and Urge review

Old 09-29-2016, 05:07 AM

In other words, the coilover's country of origin could be anything. But they may be designed for a certain market.

Kind of like there are Japanese made cars (S2000's) that were made in a certain way to match the USDM. There were also JDM S2000's which were designed for use in Japan. and EUDM S2000's. etc.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by B serious View Post
Well...yes. But do they make a JDM version and a USDM version?

Ohlins and Bilstein, etc, have been known to make JDM versions of suspensions that are sometimes not sold in the US because they aren't designed for US roads.

There are also Japanese companies who release different versions of the same coilover: A US version, European version, JDM version, etc.

So I'm wondering if the JDM Öhlins are differently valved than the USDM/Euro/etc version.
I get your point but not to my knowledge have Ohlins ever manufactured a DFV/PCV shock that had different valving come out of the same factory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

However, you can and do find that there are Swedish built and Japanese built Ohlins of the same model with different valving. As far as I know, there aren't Swedish made Ohlins DFV for the s2000 out there in the wild.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:17 AM

An example of this would be the Ohlins DFV for the Scion FRS/86. There is a Swedish built DFV and a JDM built DFV with different valving and slightly different spring rates.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 AM

In other words, the coilover's country of origin could be anything. But they may be designed for a certain market.

Kind of like there are Japanese made cars (S2000's) that were made in a certain way to match the USDM. There were also JDM S2000's which were designed for use in Japan. and EUDM S2000's. etc.
Unless someone can definitively answer your question, thats all the information I can give you. Furthermore I am from Australia and have little knowledge about Ohlins distribution in the US.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:30 AM

The question you should ask URGE is whether they have their units custom built from Ohlins Japan for their own specification, or do they just buy from Japan as is in which case you can be certain that there is no difference between US and JDM model. Or at least the URGE model which is the original topic of this thread.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:35 AM

I already have a set of DFV's, off the shelf. I think URGE just sells standard DFV's as-recieved. I don't know if DFV's have a USDM PN and a seperate (insert market here) PN.

URGE (and other suppliers) do sell a revalved and resprung version of their own. But that is specified as such.

The reason I thought maybe the JDM shocks are different is that they are supplied sans spring, as you said. So maybe they're valved to work with a wide range of springs, kind of like a Koni Yellow?

I'm just asking for further knowledge and discussion.

Tein and Bilstein(?), as well as other suppliers make different market suspensions in the same factory, or same country. Maybe Öhlins doesn't.
Just wondering.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:04 PM

No reason to think they are valved any differently. If you contact Ohlins Japan directly it may be possible to have them revalved for a different spring rate just like you can with Ohlins USA.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:29 PM

Since everyone's on the valving topic-what should rebuilding/revalving a set of DFVs cost?
Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 PM

Probably $1000ish +shipping. Depending on condition and what you want done with the valving.

**best guess**
Old 09-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Probably $1000ish +shipping. Depending on condition and what you want done with the valving.

**best guess**
100% on the money

Originally Posted by Dude from Ohlins
"Hey James,

While 20k is the recommended service interval, customers in drier climates (such as San Diego) tend to get much more life out of their dampers than people driving in harsher climates…like Sweden. CA residents that aren’t tracking the car can usually go 30-40k miles before the oil is cooked, but it all depends on the driving variables. If you notice a drop in their performance, then it’s likely time to get them serviced.

We charge about $1000 for all 4 corners, parts included, for a service. We also have a west coast service center at the Sonoma Raceway that can work on the dampers too. Please contact them here: http://performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=index

If you would like to send them to us, please use the following form: http://www.ohlinsusa.com/files/files/Auto%20Service%20Form.pdf"

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV and Urge review

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands