S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlins DFV and Urge review

Old 06-14-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

If anyone with DFVs is upgrading springs and wants to part with the standard front springs I'm interested.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

I posted my brand new standard springs for sale a month or so ago.

I ended up giving them to a buddy to have in stock in case needed (he builds a lot of race cars). I can see if he still has them if interested.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the oil/filter, transmission fluid and the cabin filter changed yesterday at the local Honda dealership and the mechanics and service advisors all looking and commenting on the car. Several " if you decide to sell it" comments. Must were almost drooling over the DFVs. Said many times "not for sale" .
Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fastD
. Must were almost drooling over the DFVs.

As they should!

Said many times "not for sale" .
It is worse with a Supra TT.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM

I did an open track day this past Friday as some Subaru friends wanted to go have some fun. At this point in time, I am happy with the way the car is handling. Now that I have the rear more settled, I think I can go back to running the same brake pad compound front and rear. It sounds like my drivers-rear wheel bearing may be giving up, so I'll likely swap in some more aggressive compound in the rear at the same time and give it a try.

As you might notice, or have noticed that my local track is a little bumpy. On my next outing, I am planning to soften the dampers all around by 2-3 clicks to see if that helps my laps times.

As for the Subaru's I went out with... I am running as fast and faster than both of them on a course that really favors having power. They leave me in the straights, but I get right back on them once turning starts happening.

It turned out to be another good time (aside from a minor spin/slide I had, only made less minor by catching our poorly done/placed curbing) schooling some more 'Murica and Porsche's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3jWgUhATU

Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for writing this review, it was very helpful.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 AM

No problem!

I marked the wrong dates in my calendar months ago when I signed up for a track day in Pueblo, CO and now that I have a wheel bearing going bad, it looks like I wont have it swapped in time to make the event as it is this weekend. I was looking forward to trying a new track and giving the suspension some more work, but I could also use a little bit of a break and install my new turbo on my STi I ordered some new bearings, OEM hubs, ARP wheels studs, and some Vorshlag open ended lug nuts. I will be upgrading my pad compound in the rear while I've got it all apart as well. I really think that now that the suspension is sorted pretty well, I could benefit from running the same pad in the rear as I do in the front.

So far, the dampers are holding up well. I don't see any leaks which I cannot say for any of the KW's I've used (S2000 and 3x STi).
Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
No problem!

I marked the wrong dates in my calendar months ago when I signed up for a track day in Pueblo, CO and now that I have a wheel bearing going bad, it looks like I wont have it swapped in time to make the event as it is this weekend. I was looking forward to trying a new track and giving the suspension some more work, but I could also use a little bit of a break and install my new turbo on my STi I ordered some new bearings, OEM hubs, ARP wheels studs, and some Vorshlag open ended lug nuts. I will be upgrading my pad compound in the rear while I've got it all apart as well. I really think that now that the suspension is sorted pretty well, I could benefit from running the same pad in the rear as I do in the front.

So far, the dampers are holding up well. I don't see any leaks which I cannot say for any of the KW's I've used (S2000 and 3x STi).
Ohlins tolerances & quality!!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 PM

Man... I haven't had a track event in a month and a half! However, I do have 2 events coming up very soon. The first one will be on a track I've been on before, just not with the current suspension. I'm curious to see what I can do for a lap time there. I have an estimate from video last year, but none of the videos have a clean lap due to traffic. This is the track I will be at and at the end of the video, you can see where I had a little bit of trouble keeping the rear end from letting loose and not responding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLlWGxA6tg0

The press I bought last year last year is coming in handy... I did get new bearings, hubs, and studs installed on the rear of the car. The left rear had a tiny bit more wear than the front and could probably have just been tightened up. I didn't get any clicking or groaning, but the rear brakes sounded terrible during braking and also turning. Since replacing everything, it still does it and now the other side does it as well . I am going to clean up the clips and such, as well as the titanium backing plates and install new pads (already was going to do that for a more aggressive material). I torqued the axles nuts per the guide on this forum. Considering the 3/4" drive I used with a jack handle on the end of a breaker bar, I'm fairly certain it's not the bearings.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:59 PM

Took the car in to have the alignment checked after a couple of minor off and one where the driver-rear tire rolled up the curbing and scrapped the very outer edge of the wheel. I was worried about the knuckle being bent even though you could barely feel going over it (the horror of watching the curbing come closer made it worse) and it didn't really do any damage. The front came in almost where we aligned it back in April; it just needed toe touched up back to tracking straight. I thought it might be a little off after getting a lot of curbing at one turn at HPR and two-wheeling. The rear was off a little bit, but nothing huge and I could find anything like a shifted subframe. Luckily, I have a buddy at the Honda dealership and they don't charge me to have my alignment checked, but he corrects anything for me if needed (or just lets me do it ).

Anyways, getting the car ready for the 2-day event this coming weekend and I'm very excited to see what type of lap times I'll put down. I may be borrowing some wheels and stickier tires for a session to go moar fast and then get addicted and throw all my money away. This track is fairly smooth compared to my local track, so I don't see me softening anything up, but it does have a turn or two where I can really tell how well the rear end is planted while transitioning. I still need to try an all around softer setting on my local track to see if that helps. Just watching my in-car videos reminds me of how bump that track really is.

Last month (bumpy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3jWgUhATU

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV and Urge review