S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlins DFV and Urge review

Old 08-19-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Completed another NASA Central track weekend this past weekend. The car did well but the driver made a mistake that could have been costly (I lifted - at the end of the video). After moving to the same pad compound in the rear as I have in the front, I noticed the car liked to wag in the rear again if not perfectly straight, but the brakes worked extremely well and I didn't have enough tire. I ended up backing off one more click in the rear and that seems to have helped it (-3F/-7R). I tried to use a lot of the curbing and aside from one corner, it felt really smoothened out when taking all of the curbing. A guy that was behind me said he liked how car would rotate that back end out hitting the curbing, squat and stick.

During this weekend, I signed up for HPDE4 and did 3 sessions. On the last session of the day, I was put on a provisional TT license and went out in Time Trials without a check-ride. I did all my sessions in TTB on Sunday. My times weren't all that bad. Another non-aero TTB S2000 and I were running really close, however, it pulled off another second faster than me in the weekend. I expected that might happen when comparing my Maxxis RC-1's to their Pirelli Slicks which are considerably stickier. I had to lift not to hit the other S2000 in the fast straights/kinks, but was getting the car out of shape trying to keep up in the tight stuff.

My plan for the winter is to do aero and I should be on R7's later this year. I will probably have to go stiffer in the rear, but I'm liking that it seems like I may be able to go to where I think I'll need it on the stock valving since I'm backed off so far currently. All-in-all, I am still very happy with these coilvers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UGfAECkSmA
Old 09-27-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Good info and great review. I have almost 19,000 miles on my DFVs at the moment and they are still working beautifully.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:16 AM

I had about a month off due having to go out of town for work for a couple weeks, among other life things, but I did get out to the track this past weekend with a few changes.

To start, I have added the following before this track day:

- New alignment
- SOS fuel surge tank
- Hoosier R7's (previously was on Maxxis RC-1)

I brought my 2 GoPro's, 6 batteries, all my mounts, and forgot memory cards, so I wasn't able to get any video like I normally do. However, I can note that I still don't feel the need to change up my suspension at all after my previous dialing in. On the stickier tires, everything still felt good. I was told (noted in the video below) that I was lifting the front-inside wheel in one of fast turns (85mph) where a BMW 135i was trying to keep up... for a short time The car still felt balanced as it was, however, with the tank being able to run nearly to empty now (vs fuel starve @ 3/4 tank), I could definitely feel the rear end wanting to rotate more and I had to use the throttle, and on some turns more track, to keep the car happy. I have learned to trust the car more with this setup. The last video I posted had me spinning a 360 around track when I slightly lifted due to wheel spin at higher speed exiting a turn only to have it come around on me. I had wheel spin a few times this weekend exiting turns around 60+ mph and I just stayed flat to the floor and counter-steered a little bit and the car sorted itself out without drama. One of the times, it got the rear wheel on the curbing and then dipping into the grass and back on the tarmac (all next to the only wall on this track) and the car soaked it up without jerking around and settled the pucker I already had.

I am going to finish out the season on the current setup, however, over winter I will be likely adding a wing and a splitter, as well as swap out my Wilwood front/rear brakes for Urge's brakes and give them a go. For the price, I am really in love with these coilovers. For the build and performance, they're not expensive in my book. Still recommending these to all my track S2000 friends... Not forgetting they ride well on the street too (even with my much stiffer spring rates).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSmO3PnFL4

EDIT: Current alignment

Old 10-13-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Two questions:
  1. Did you consider the Holley Fuel Mat for fuel starvation problem? https://www.holley.com/news/articles/holley_debuts_new_hydramat_fuel_reservoir/
  2. Where did you mount the surge tank? In previous picks it looked like a big item.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:15 AM

1. I did consider the Holley Hydramat, however, with the bowl in the tank and not knowing whether or not I could easily get it out without removing the tank and possibly cutting it, I decided to go with the fuel surge tank.

2. The SOS kit mounts where the EVAP/charcoal canister used to be. I used one of the three now unused connectors from the EVAP system to control the relay to the second fuel pump, via my AEM EMS2.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:14 AM

Another update... The car is still performing well. I competed in my first NASA TT(B) event this weekend after previously being tried out with a provisional license at the previous event. I ended up hitting my personal best and a time I wanted to attain by the end of this year of a 1:44.x and took first place by a very small margin. This is 2 seconds off my previous best with the Maxxis RC-1's.

With that said, with the Hoosier R7's, I'm rubbing a bit more on the inside front tires. I rub not only due to the tires being wider, but the grip is... um... good. I planned on doing aero this winter, so the intent is to revalve and put stiffer springs on, but as proven, it's performing well as-is! I ended up dipping a wheel just before one of our small curbs (which is why I avoid most at this track) and the shocks soaked it up without upsetting the car at all, or transmitting it all to my back.

Anyway, here are a couple videos from the event.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 12-26-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:43 AM

Well... This weekend ended the racing season here. Our local track had it's annual Boo Bash which is a fun way to wrap up the season. $50 got me 7 sessions on track, free food, and more importantly, free beer! They also did a hay ride around the track and took shots at every corner. I stuck with beer.

That said, I am following up on my Ohlins review now that it's been a full season with 16 track days and one partial autoX (fuel starved too much). Now that I am running Hoosier R7's all the time, I am likely going to stiffen the spring rates even more, which will require me to re-valve. After talking with a few more experienced drivers, I think the plan is to hold off on aero, focus on getting some more power out of the motor and taking off a little weight (and MOAR seat time!) while staying in my current class since it's looking like I can put up a fight for free tires at NASA events, which Hoosier is giving me 4 free tires for my recent NASA win. I haven't seen any fluid leaks from the shocks and everything just keeps working as it should.

It's been a great year and my suspension has really dialed in well and allowed me to start having confidence in the car allowing me to push it harder.

I only remembered/bothered to get one video from this last event, but I did use two cameras for the first time. I might start doing it more often!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uroeu1yz4KE

I look forward to another season with these coilovers and doing more business with Patrick at Urge.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Any thoughts on revalving them and going with higher spring rates? That has definitely been on my mind as I damaged one of mine a couple months ago, but I still hadn't even swapped in the Hyperco 700/600s yet.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 PM

If I end up going stiffer, the plan is to re-valve. I haven't dug into it too much yet, but I was likely going to contact 3R Racing as I have two friends that work there, one of which is probably my most trusted friend who understands how anal I can be. I know they can rebuild the TTX stuff as I've seen their equipment, but I'll talk to them a bit more to see what they can do exactly and how much I'm expecting to pay. Otherwise, I'll probably contact Patrick for a good recommendation for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV and Urge review